Sign in to follow this  

Headlight and Brakelight kill Switch

Have any of you XRL owners hooked up an auxillary switch(s) to shut off the headlight and brakelight while the bike is running? Pics would be great, thanks.

It's actually illegal to do that on a street legal bike. The headlight must be on by federal regulation.

Why do you want it off anyhow?

that would take care of the headlight then. would i do the same thing for the brakelight, put a switch in between the power and brakelight actuater?

i'm going to go and pick up some waterproof switches in a couple of days. i'm not sure where i'm going to put them yet, but definately hidden if its illegal.

It's actually illegal to do that on a street legal bike. The headlight must be on by federal regulation.

Why do you want it off anyhow?

fwiw

I ride around all the time with no headlight on, and have never been pulled over for it. I bet most cops dont even know its a law. I know i didnt

when I get a new headlight I will install a switch as well as riding all day on dirt roads with the headlight on makes it very hot then when you do a river crossing the headlight can crack from heat then cold water and guess what 300 dollars for a new one. Any ideas on a cheeper replacement headlight that is still road leagal and still look original would be a good help.

i've been looking at the wiring diagram to see if i could figure out a where to cut in some wires for 2 switches and by doing so i noticed that there is a green wire that is typical through the system and it traces back to the frame ground. so this leads to my question, can i hook the switchs up to the ground instead of the positive wire? i'm not an electrician and only know basic things about automotive wiring so any help is appreciated.

I have purchased a Narva H4 headlight for 60 dollars from an auto electrician and made brackets and mods to fit. Looks great and works great, took about 3 hours to mod and fit. When I get time I will load some pics of the mod. Stuff paying 300 dollars suzuki. I am going to install a headlight daytime off switch when I have rego over and done with.

I did not like aftermarket lights as they where either expensive or not as good as original and the wreckers wanted 170 dollars plus freight for a second hand one.

If you do wire the switch into the ground wire it is ok and can work but you need to be carefull the power cant ground through the frame or something else or it wont work. good idea just to do the headlight and leave the tail and brake working just incase your mate rear ends you if you stop quickly the brake light may reduce the risk. The headlight does not do much during the day on fire trails for safety but on the road you need all the help with safety you can get.

I made me a license plate flap when running from the poo-poo.

It's spring loaded, I pull a lever and it flips up and covers the plate.:smirk:

The last time I out ran the poo-poo with no lights I hit a log laying in the trail and crashed........off to jail I went so I got more creative now.:smirk:

I made me a license plate flap when running from the poo-poo.

It's spring loaded, I pull a lever and it flips up and covers the plate.:smirk:

does that mean you have to reach back and manually reset the plate flap each time it is used?

I hooked up a ON/OFF/ON switch so I can go between my headlight and my AUX light (10watts)- I only use my AUX light when I'm alone up in the mountains for the extra power I need for my heated gloves and jacket liner,that way I'm still legal and it comes in handy for If the bike has sat for a while to turn off the headlight before trying to start it or If it's being stubborn trying to start out and about.

(toggle switch in right side of picture)-100_2188.jpg

heres a list of what was needed to do this modification;

2 - switches 20amp 12v 200watts minimum

10' - green 18 ga

electrical tape

solder (optional)

i laid out the holes and drilled 2 3/8'' holes 3/4'' apart

P5260899.jpg

i cut the solid green wire (ground wire), soldered 2 6'' lengths of wire on both ends and heat shrunk some tube on them. switch is hooked up and i tested it with the bike running and off. when i tested it i notice that the high beam indicater light comes on when i shut the headlight off , no matter if the high beam was on or not.

P5260903.jpg

the green wire (ground) is typical through out the bike so i did the same for the taillight. i cut the green wire near the connection under the seat and soldered 2 3'-6'' lengths of wire and ran them over to where the other switch was going to be and hooked it up to the switch. i tested it with the bike running and off. i don't have pictures of the install because my wifes camera filled up with pics during the install.

so i got some room on the camera this morning, this is what it looks like finished.

P5260904.jpg

i am very happy with the install and it was quick, maybe an hour and a half. i want the bike to be really stealthy and this mod really tops it off. thanks for everyones input.

Edited by craftsman13
forgot one detail