Sign in to follow this  

Seal inside airbox

The Rubber seal inside the airbox that goes around the backfire screen appears to be coming off, what do I use to re-attach it?

If you're talking about the "damper" that's between the backfire screen and the duct, located behind the screen, I don't see any way to re-attach this. I just finished taking my airbox apart and had to replace the damper.If you have some kind of rubber gasket on the front of your screen then I have no idea what that is. I have a P.C. Pro-seal on the front of my screen, and I would imagine that if it starts to peel, I would have to replace it...

Jay

If you're talking about the "damper" that's between the backfire screen and the duct, located behind the screen, I don't see any way to re-attach this. I just finished taking my airbox apart and had to replace the damper.If you have some kind of rubber gasket on the front of your screen then I have no idea what that is. I have a P.C. Pro-seal on the front of my screen, and I would imagine that if it starts to peel, I would have to replace it...

Jay

If the damper looks like a large hose that wraps around the the screen then that's what it is. I'll have to look into this Pro-seal, I've never heard of it.

The damper is behind the screen and acts as a gasket between the airbox and the duct. The duct is connected to the throttle body, in my case, '11 250f. If this "hose" type thing you speak of is on the outside of the screen, I have no idea what that is...

The Pro-Seal is a neoprene gasket that is stuck to the outside of the screen and allows you to run your air filter without using grease...

Jay.

WOW, I just look at the OEM Parts list and I don't see anything like I'm talking about at all!! Now I'm really wondering what it is?? I think I may take it off since it seems to be coming off anyway and take a picture to post.

It sounds to me like you have a Pro-Seal gasket kit already installed. It is only held on by adhesive tape, it makes sense that it would eventually deteriorate. Is the gasket (or seal) kind of a soft, blackish, and dense foam? If it is, chances are you have a PC Pro-Seal from the previous owner.

It's an 07, I was thinking I had a Pro Seal to but judging by the pictures I seen when I researched it yesterday, it doesn't look like it. It seems fatter than a gasket or adhesive tape, I'll take a pic as soon as I can.

The Pro-Seal is an eighth of an inch thick, and three quarters of an inch wide. As stated above, it has an adhesive backing on it and appears to be made of neoprene...I have one installed on my bike, and a new one in the package which I just measured.

Jay.

I'll a pic soon and maybe one of guys can help me find out what it is, thanks for the info. so far, I'll be picking on that Pro Seal soon, I've never put grease on my filter when putting it back.

UPDATE....

I figured it out, now I feel like a idiot! I bought the No Toil Air Box Cover so when I clean my Air Filter I can put this thing on....Well, that rubber thing was part of that and just came off, that's what it was!!! Thanks for helping me try to figure it though. LOL

At least you figured it out. My Twin-Air cover did the same thing...it used to get stuck on the grease that was around the screen. Now I have a Pro-Seal and don't need to grease my filters. The airbox cover seal doesn't get stuck anymore. And the Pro-Seal works great, no more greasy mess.

Jay.