Sign in to follow this  

Shaving Seat Foam from Bottom?

I need to lower my seat due to my pathetic inseam. :smirk: I blame my mother.

Anyway, I see people shave the foam from the top. Would it work if I shaved it from the bottom instead? That way, I could keep the basic contour of the stock foam (smooth edges, etc.).

I may need to remove some relief wedges from the top so the foam wouldn't buckle after removing the bottom material, but that would be easier than resurfacing the entire top.

Any ideas? There may be a good reason not to do it that way, but I thought I would ask about it before I start cutting.

Thanks

I would think that it would be much more difficult to shave foam from the bottom since the foam would have to conform to and fit the plastic seat base perfectly. It is very easy to shave foam fro the top and shape the seat any way you want with a little sandpaper.

+ 1 Foam wont fit the base if trimmed from the bottom.

I shaved the foam on my '05 E and it made the seat lower and even more uncomfortable. I highly recommend the Seat Concepts lowered seat foam and cover. It's expensive but it's also some of the best money I've spent. There are pictures of it in My Garage. http://www.seatconcepts.com/index.php?p=1_22

That seat looks good. I think I may start saving my pennies fort that. In the meantime, I will go ahead and do the shave. I am used to uncomfortable seats on bikes, so it is more for the height.

For the other comments (thanks for all the replies, by the way), I understand that I would need to emulate the contour of the seat pan. I was going to use a knife with the blade out a specific length. I would then cut from left to right following the contour. That should make a shape fairly similar to the original.

I will most likely just shave the top (less fuss involved), but I just wanted to see if anyone else tried it a different way.

Thanks again for the help. :smirk:

Try Fisher seats. they are out of Eagle ,Idaho. $180 ship them your seat they make it how you want send it back. takes only about a week.

Try Fisher seats. they are out of Eagle ,Idaho. $180 ship them your seat they make it how you want send it back. takes only about a week.

It is nice to see that there are some less expensive seat options out there. I will make a note of all the suggestions.

I have shaved the seat foam (from the top), and tomorrow I will put the cover on. I will post pictures of the final product.

Well, it is a bit lumpy in places (as am I), but it is finished.

Here it is:

seat.jpg

I will give it some time before I come to my final verdict. My goal was to lower the seat a bitand I was certainly successful in doing that. The comfort will be the next consideration.

Edited by Mr. C