Please Help! Should I Re-Jet again?

Hey everyone!

I put an IDS2 on my 03 DR650 last fall. When I did I put the 170 DynoJet in it. Then later it was recommended that I put the 160 in instead and it actually ran a lot better. I just recently changed the oil and it smelled like fuel. I checked the spark plugs and they are a little black. Actually wet looking. What would you guys recommend i do? Maybe the 155 or the 150 or is that to lean?

Thanks for the help in advance!!

You've clearly been running WAY RICH for the last year. I would also check those float bowl O rings. If you're getting fuel into the crank case you'll ruin the engine. Gasoline is not a great lubricant.

Don't mix up Dyno Jet main jets and Mikuni jets ... they are different.

I don't know what a IDS2 is ... Some loud pipe?

What you want is:

Cut air box top per Jesse or Pro Cycle

155 main

Stock Pilot

Twin Air Filter (recommended but not vital)

Extended fuel screw adjusted very lean (helps MPG)

Dyno Jet needle. (makes big difference) Part #DNT604 ... on 3rd clip for stock pipe. Perhaps 4th position for aftermarket pipe.

An aftermarket pipe will not have that much affect on jetting ... you might have to go from a 155 to a 160, but I doubt it. The DR650 is designed to run very very lean in stock form. For best running/power/MPG, lean running is best.

Edited by 54321

You will be unlikely to see any difference in the plugs. Mine are always gray unless the jetting is way way off. By then I already know by the way it runs.

But I think you will be much happier with the 155 Main. You didn't say but I assume you have an open air box and also that you are somewhere near sea level. I just went through installing and tuning the DJ kit on my bike with a broadband O2 sensor and AFR meter and found the 160 main to be too rich for every air box configuration I tried including 4 1" holes in the top and the side completely removed. But only a little too rich for fully opened air box. However I was running the stock muffler so that may make it work better in your case. I also ended up with the needle clip in the second position. Two up (leaner) from what DJ recommends. Bike runs great now, good power, AFR readings in the mid 13's for cruise, and 51.78 MPG on the last tank. ? As always, YMMV.

Good luck,

John

Hey Guys, Thanks for all the help it's greatly appreciated.

Yes I did open up a pretty good portion of the top of the air box and the IDS2 is an opened up exhaust and pretty loud. I still have the OEM air filter in it. To be honest since I did all these mods last fall after I bought it. It has only been ran maybe 3 or 4 miles since then. So hopefully it did'nt hurt the motor any. I am going to try to get the o-rings and probably put the 155 DJ in it. It currently has the 160DJ in it.

All the advice is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!!

By the way I do have the DJ needle in it and I set it at what DJ instructions recommended. Do you guys recommend it in a different position? I just looked it up and I am 757 ft. above sea level. West Central Illinois.

Thanks!!

I'd try 3rd or 4th clip.

Since your bike has sat around so much it's not that surprising that you have some fuel in oil. Be sure to SHUT OFF fuel when storing bike ... (or maybe you can't on the stock tank?) I've forgotten as I've had the IMS so long.

I always shut off the fuel ... just in case ... as it could leak and fill the air box or migrate into crankcase.

Good luck, hope you can manage to get your bike back on the road for Summer!

By the way I do have the DJ needle in it and I set it at what DJ instructions recommended. Do you guys recommend it in a different position? I just looked it up and I am 757 ft. above sea level. West Central Illinois.

You will have to experiment as each bike is a little different, and some times a lot different, but in general I would keep dropping the needle down (clip up - Leaner) until you notice performance issues. Then go back up up one position richer)

For mike bike with open 4 holes in the top, 155 DJ main, stock muffler with header weld ground down, it went like this.

4th slot - way too rich:thumbsdn:

3 slot - a little too rich:ride:

2nd slot - just right:banana:

I didn't try the top slot because I liked what I saw on the meter at the 2nd.

One big hint is that if your MPG is poor for how you are riding it, your needle is almost certainly too rich, It will run OK but MPG will tank.

Hey Guys, Well I finally had time to work on the carb. I put the 155 main jet in and upped the needle to the 2nd. slot from top. Put it all back together and now it wont idle. I can get it to fire but it wont stay running. Its worse with the choke all the way OFF. What should I try to do to fix it?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

Hey Guys, Well I finally had time to work on the carb. I put the 155 main jet in and upped the needle to the 2nd. slot from top. Put it all back together and now it wont idle. I can get it to fire but it wont stay running. Its worse with the choke all the way OFF. What should I try to do to fix it?

Thanks!!

Set it up like DJ recommends save the 2-1/2 turns out on the pilot screw.... that actually is too rich. Even clip position 3 is too lean for your elevation.... # 2 is worthless. Run it on position 4 and if you have a performance exhaust system run the DJ160 main. Make sure you've "omitted the white plastic spacer" from the needle as the instructions say. If you do want to run the modded white plastic spacer (one edge cut so it will fit beside the D-shelf in the slide) then run the #2 position on the clip. Your pilopt screw should end up between 1-1/2 and 1 turns out from lightly seated. ?

Thanks!!

You "worked on the carb" ? Have you pulled out all the jets and inspected them? Any debris in float bowl or anything clogging up either the Pilot or Main jet? Did you replace or inspect the O rings that hold the float bowl in place? Did you remove the Pilot fuel air mix screw (carefully) and clean out any crud in there?

It wouldn't hurt to check float level as well ... and shake the float to make sure it has no fuel in it. If it does ... replace.

Also, since your plugs are "dark". Just for luck, replace with new plugs.

Your jetting and needle position seem in the ball park. The bike should run ... but it won't if jets are clogged or plugs are fouled.

Good luck. Take your time ... SEE what you're looking at. ! ?

Thanks for all the help!! I shouldn't have said "Worked On". I meant did what needed to be done which was fix its richness. The carb. and all the parts including the o-rings seemed to be fine. I ordered new ones the other day but I am pretty sure I dont need them. They looked and sealed just fine. But the whole thing looked like it had an orangesh jello substance in it. Bowl, main jet and all. I bought a new bottle of carb. cleaner this afternoon and plan on going through the whole thing. Even in the configuration I have it it should start and idle unless the pilot is gummed up or something. So I'm going to do that. See if it runs and leave it alone. I really want to be riding it right now not working on it all the time. If its a little lean or rich still, I'm sure its not really going to hurt anything.

Thanks to all for the advice!! I will keep you posted if I get it running right again.?

Hey i've got a 2011 650 and i live about 200 feet above sea level and could ride above 1000 on any given day..anyways heres what i got done and it seems to work fine for me.

DJneedle 4th clip

Mikuni 155 jet (about a 165 Dyno jet)

twin air filter,modded air box

Two Brothers M7 slip on, a bit louder than ur IDS2

everything works better than stock, got lots more power but not experiencing the gains that other people are writing on the Forum...begining to think some may be full of shit,lol

did you check for a vacume leak?? the little oring under slide cover maybe be missing or a leak around your diaphram.

NordieBoy, Thanks for the heads up. I wont get to crazy with the carb. cleaner.

RideoutJames, I don't know what th M7 sounds like but right now I have only 4 of the ring diffusers installed in my IDS2. According to Supertrapp that with richen it up a little. Gives me more bottom end power. I have 16 of those rings all together. The more rings the louder and more opened up the exhaust is. Its also the race version so its pretty loud. I am going to go through it thoroughly tomorrow. I will check all these things. I have replaced the spark plugs and that didn't help. I would bet that something has gotten in the pilot jet hole. But we'll see.

I'll post back tomorrow to let you guys know what I did to fix it.

I don't care what anybody says you guys on this forum are the best!!

Thanks to All!! ? + ?

NordieBoy, Thanks for the heads up. I wont get to crazy with the carb. cleaner.

RideoutJames, I don't know what th M7 sounds like but right now I have only 4 of the ring diffusers installed in my IDS2. According to Supertrapp that with richen it up a little. Gives me more bottom end power. I have 16 of those rings all together. The more rings the louder and more opened up the exhaust is. Its also the race version so its pretty loud. I am going to go through it thoroughly tomorrow. I will check all these things. I have replaced the spark plugs and that didn't help. I would bet that something has gotten in the pilot jet hole. But we'll see.

I'll post back tomorrow to let you guys know what I did to fix it.

I don't care what anybody says you guys on this forum are the best!!

Thanks to All!! ? + ?

Supertrapp race core works best with 10 discs - equiv. to GSXR1000 in flow.

With 8 discs, it's about the same as the GSXR600 pipe.

The difference from 8-10 discs is basically moving the power 500rpm higher and a slightly more meaty mid-range.

Well I've got the bike running again. It basically did the same thing when I got it all put back together. It would start but wouldn't idle. I adjusted the pilot to 1 and a half turns and the idle screw too. It just acted cold blooded for a bit then it started running ok after i got out and rode it. It never used to be like that but it does run real good. I put the CR10EK's in it Friday when I thought the Denso's were fouled. So I think I am going to leave it alone unless the starting become an issue. By the way everything in the carb. looked fine. I cleaned it out real good with cleaner. I hope by running out the rest of the gas from last fall and put some fresh in it it will run even better. I hate to try to drain whats left out of it now. I will keep you posted on any changes.

Thanks for all the help!!

Happy Riding!! ?

Just wanted to post that I rode it again and it fire right up and idle fine. I noticed when I got home the idle was a little high so I turned out the idle screw and dropped the rpm's. But were it is at now it's basically not in contact with the plate that pushes up to apply some throttle for idleing. Is this that big of a deal or should I change something?

Thanks!

Just wanted to post that I rode it again and it fire right up and idle fine. I noticed when I got home the idle was a little high so I turned out the idle screw and dropped the rpm's. But were it is at now it's basically not in contact with the plate that pushes up to apply some throttle for idleing. Is this that big of a deal or should I change something?

Thanks!

The inner adjuster (knob) is backed away from the throttle stop? Then adjust the outer stop (loosen #30, back off #31, tighten #30) back a ways and then turn the inner stop back in so you'll have some adjustment range.

Image?arik=s4v92978S7HV4vH84i3c&arib=SUZ&arim=NsIR8F6SUQDHbyUNRW3YLA2&aria=0R-R7k5zRHwVMnmhVqhogQ2&ariz=1