[[Template core/global/plugins/realFaviconGenerator does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]] Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Bike for 11 year old with some experience?

He's 4-10 & 75lbs (skinny butt) :smirk:

He started on a 50 & has had a PW 80 for 3 years. We just got it out for the Summer & he's really outgrown it. He also has a Yami Bravo 250 snowmobile. So he has about 5 years of experience on bikes & sleds. I know he's ready for a step up & would rather get a bike with a manual clutch vs the auto's. I'm partial to Yami's but in his case don't want to let that influence the decision. Definitely open to 2S or 4S and the year doesn't matter. One of those tough decisions where I want enough bike to keep him happy for a few years but not too much bike. I'd like to hear what you've been getting your similar aged kids.

Thanks for any replies.

The Suzuki DS 80 could be a good solution. 5 speed manual clutch, 80cc 2-stroke trail bike. It's a little bit shorter than an XR100, but has a little more power. And it will mix the oil and gas for you.

The yz85 will be pretty high strung right?

He's a responsible little rider with developing skills, but doesn't have any track type skills at all. We have a nice private road & big yard for him to putt around on to get used to it. Next year when he's 12 I want to start taking him trail riding.

The yz85 will be pretty high strung right?

He's a responsible little rider with developing skills, but doesn't have any track type skills at all. We have a nice private road & big yard for him to putt around on to get used to it. Next year when he's 12 I want to start taking him trail riding.

YZ85 is definitely going to have a punch to it, especially for a kid weighing 75lbs who is use to a pw80. But if he's an aggressive confident rider and is tall enough for it, that would definitely be something to look into. If you normally ride trails and don't plan on getting him into any track riding I'd also suggest the TTR125. They have two sizes but I think the smaller one would fit him best (depending on how tall the docs expect him to be or how fast he's expected to grow). If you're 6'2" and he's expected to be tall like dad I might try and squeeze him on the bigger size, ha! :smirk:

when i was 12 i got a yz85 coming from a 70cc 4 stroke.

it was alot different obviously, but just takes a few rides until you get use to it. the two main things he has to get use to is keeping it in high revs, and the powerband. if you want to stay with a 4 stroke then get a crf150r.

now im 14 years old and going to get a 125 or 250 2 stroke soon when im 15

Edited by daniel96

I started riding at 8 years old on a DS 80. It was a good bike and I learned how to use a clutch with it. I think by the time I was in 7th grade(11 or 12 i think) though I was way to tall for it. That was when I got my RM125. The thing with your son right now is he is going to be growing like a weed. Unless you plan on buying him a new bike every summer, get used to seeing a giant kid on a little bike.

Really people???? Not knowing what kind of riding he's going to do would depend on the bike to get... Is he trail riding or is he going to start to race and is he riding any mx tracks????

If he's riding mx or even racing trails I like a power valved 85 bike (kx or rm) over the non-power valved bikes(cr or yz) because of the "hi strung" fracture. The KX/RM bike have a little more bottom end power because of the power valve. Although all four are good bikes...

If he's going to be playing around in fields and trails the same 85's are good but also the CRF 150f is a tough bikes but as he gets faster the suspension sucks. The ttr are about the same way. Great little bikes but no suspension at any speed. The KLX 140 is a little better and can be build to handle more.... No matter what you get he is going to out grow it before your ready to buy another bike....he's just at that age....

Really people???? Not knowing what kind of riding he's going to do would depend on the bike to get... Is he trail riding or is he going to start to race and is he riding any mx tracks????

If he's riding mx or even racing trails I like a power valved 85 bike (kx or rm) over the non-power valved bikes(cr or yz) because of the "hi strung" fracture. The KX/RM bike have a little more bottom end power because of the power valve. Although all four are good bikes...

If he's going to be playing around in fields and trails the same 85's are good but also the CRF 150f is a tough bikes but as he gets faster the suspension sucks. The ttr are about the same way. Great little bikes but no suspension at any speed. The KLX 140 is a little better and can be build to handle more.... No matter what you get he is going to out grow it before your ready to buy another bike....he's just at that age....

Hey PERSON, I recommend a bike for each type of riding... take it easy! Texans polite... :smirk:.

Ted,

I will share some of my experiences and opinions. Perhaps some of it will be useful for your decision-making.

When my son had just turned eleven and was about the same height as your son, I put him on a XR80/CRF80F. It was his first bike and he had no prior riding experience. These are good bikes for learning how to use a clutch and shifting (it's a five speed and like a junior version of the CRF100F with a seat height of 28.9" ). It's an aircooled 4 stroke with wide ratio transmission and it's pretty docile. We did trail riding here in Colorado. As he got faster and more experienced, I noticed his riding speed and ability going beyond the suspension capabilities.

So, we just moved to a YZ85 this year (he just just turned 13 and is 5' 1". I bought the YZ85 because I got a good price, but as fender bender mentions above the YZ85 is a bit high strung and doesn't have the powervalve. An RM85 or KX85 (with the powervalve) might be a better trail bike amongst the 85 cc two strokes. I haven't ridden the RM or KX 85's, but my daughter has a KX100 and I can tell the difference between the YZ85 and the KX100 on the low end. However, 85 cc two stroke bikes take a lot of work to ride on the trail (vs. air-cooled 4 strokes) to keep it in the powerband or not depending on conditions/terrain).

We have only done a couple rides on the YZ85 and its a whole different beast for him and he is still intimidated (XR80 = 7 HP; YZ85 = 27 HP). I put a Steahly flywheel weight on it and changed the front/rear sprocket to make it a better trail bike, but its still quite a bit for effort/thinking ahead to trail ride with it compared to his XR80).

It sounds like your son is already comfortable with riding and operating machines, but I think the seat height of an 85 cc motocross bike, high strung nature, and close ratio transmission would be too much of a transition for him right now. If you could get a good price on a CRF80F it might be the ticket for this summer (because of the 5 speed transmission and clutch). I believe some of the other similar seat height bikes (TTR110,KLX110L) have an automatic clutch and 4 speeds (but don't take my word for it). He probably would only be on this transition bike for 1 year and then be ready to go to either the KX85/RM85/YZ85/CRF150R (motocross bikes that would have to be adapted to trail riding) or to the CRF100F/KLX140/TTR125/DRZ125 (trail bikes with much weaker suspensions than the motocross bikes but well suited for trail riding).

Even if you are buying used, it might be worth going to a dealer to sit on some bikes. At his current height, I think he might just be a little too short for a CRF100F/TTR125/KLX140/DRZ125 (not the "L" or big wheel versions)....but if he is tall enough, this might open up a few more options than just a XR80/CRF80F.

Ted,

I will share some of my experiences and opinions. Perhaps some of it will be useful for your decision-making.

When my son had just turned eleven and was about the same height as your son, I put him on a XR80/CRF80F. It was his first bike and he had no prior riding experience. These are good bikes for learning how to use a clutch and shifting (it's a five speed and like a junior version of the CRF100F with a seat height of 28.9" ). It's an aircooled 4 stroke with wide ratio transmission and it's pretty docile. We did trail riding here in Colorado. As he got faster and more experienced, I noticed his riding speed and ability going beyond the suspension capabilities.

So, we just moved to a YZ85 this year (he just just turned 13 and is 5' 1". I bought the YZ85 because I got a good price, but as fender bender mentions above the YZ85 is a bit high strung and doesn't have the powervalve. An RM85 or KX85 (with the powervalve) might be a better trail bike amongst the 85 cc two strokes. I haven't ridden the RM or KX 85's, but my daughter has a KX100 and I can tell the difference between the YZ85 and the KX100 on the low end. However, 85 cc two stroke bikes take a lot of work to ride on the trail (vs. air-cooled 4 strokes) to keep it in the powerband or not depending on conditions/terrain).

We have only done a couple rides on the YZ85 and its a whole different beast for him and he is still intimidated (XR80 = 7 HP; YZ85 = 27 HP). I put a Steahly flywheel weight on it and changed the front/rear sprocket to make it a better trail bike, but its still quite a bit for effort/thinking ahead to trail ride with it compared to his XR80).

It sounds like your son is already comfortable with riding and operating machines, but I think the seat height of an 85 cc motocross bike, high strung nature, and close ratio transmission would be too much of a transition for him right now. If you could get a good price on a CRF80F it might be the ticket for this summer (because of the 5 speed transmission and clutch). I believe some of the other similar seat height bikes (TTR110,KLX110L) have an automatic clutch and 4 speeds (but don't take my word for it). He probably would only be on this transition bike for 1 year and then be ready to go to either the KX85/RM85/YZ85/CRF150R (motocross bikes that would have to be adapted to trail riding) or to the CRF100F/KLX140/TTR125/DRZ125 (trail bikes with much weaker suspensions than the motocross bikes but well suited for trail riding).

Even if you are buying used, it might be worth going to a dealer to sit on some bikes. At his current height, I think he might just be a little too short for a CRF100F/TTR125/KLX140/DRZ125 (not the "L" or big wheel versions)....but if he is tall enough, this might open up a few more options than just a XR80/CRF80F.

Thanks for taking the time. This is will help a lot.

I agree with you about seat height & power. It's no fun trying to keep a high strung bike up in the band when your really just learning to trail ride....then not being able to touch the ground when you really need to. A tame 4S to lug through trails would be the way to go for now. I think we'll take your advice & go sit on a bunch at the dealers this weekend. I wanted to buy used, but it may be hard to walk out empty handed. Thanks again :smirk:

Ted,

yep it can be hard not to find something you like when looking at a dealer, but you will take a huge financial bath if you buy used and then turn the bike in a year or two. If you buy a 3 year old trail bike and ride for a year....it will cost you next to nothing in depreciation.

Good luck with your search.

Thanks for taking the time. This is will help a lot.

I agree with you about seat height & power. It's no fun trying to keep a high strung bike up in the band when your really just learning to trail ride....then not being able to touch the ground when you really need to. A tame 4S to lug through trails would be the way to go for now. I think we'll take your advice & go sit on a bunch at the dealers this weekend. I wanted to buy used, but it may be hard to walk out empty handed. Thanks again :smirk:

when i was 12 i got a yz85, and i came from a 70cc semi - auto bike with no clutch.

the yz85 was the first clutch bike ive ever ridden, and it was a preety hard to ride at first but its all about getting use to it. and now im 14 and when im 15 i will be getting a 250 2 stroke.

maybe you should put him on a kx65 or rm65 for a year and then get him an yz85. but i think just put him on a 85, because im just an average rider and if i done it then i sure he can. or get him a crf150r

Ted,

I guess I was rushing when I replied above. I meant to say you will take a huge depreciation hit if you buy a "NEW" bike rather than used and then have to sell in a year or two because he has grown out of it or if his ability has moved beyond it. My kids rode their '02 XR80, '05 CRF100F and '06CRF150F for two riding seasons and I sold all three this past fall for within $100 of what I bought them for used.