[[Template core/global/plugins/realFaviconGenerator does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]] Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Muffler packing?

I'm waiting on some parts for my carb, so while the bike is apart. I'm checking everything from the linkage to the muffler. And the packing inside my silencer is a disaster. My question, if no local shops stock it. Can you get your own fiberglass from a boat shop or hardware store and make your own packing? Save waiting a week for an order online? If so, what size and how much is required?

2006 KXF450 Stock silencer

I wouldnt mess with anything other than 4-stroke axhaust packing.

If you deffinately cant wait, i did hear that stainless steel wool will work ok in a pinch. you can purchase it from a local hardware store.

The size packing is the same in all bags of packing, provided you purchase 4t packing. just cut to fit, and don't pack too tight.

I wouldnt mess with anything other than 4-stroke axhaust packing.

If you deffinately cant wait, i did hear that stainless steel wool will work ok in a pinch. you can purchase it from a local hardware store.

The size packing is the same in all bags of packing, provided you purchase 4t packing. just cut to fit, and don't pack too tight.

I think the idea of the wool is to go on before the packing. To make it last longer. Not sure if you would want to just put wool in there heh!

in a 4t you need packing that wont "burn up" too quickly.

in a 2t you can get away with fiberglass insulation, that what i use. In my 4t i use "silent sport" packing. cheap, about 7-10 bucks and lasts a LONG time.

right on for repacking, i know so many people that need to repack their pipes........

in a 4t you need packing that wont "burn up" too quickly.

in a 2t you can get away with fiberglass insulation, that what i use. In my 4t i use "silent sport" packing. cheap, about 7-10 bucks and lasts a LONG time.

right on for repacking, i know so many people that need to repack their pipes........

Thanks, figured I might as well check everything while it's apart! Glad I did, the packing has a huge hole/rip in it. About the size of my fist. And is blacker than a chimney sweep's hands.

It's pretty wild how much performance you will get back by repacking.

It also quiets the bike Down a considerable amount which is nice too. :smirk:

Have fun with the maintenance!