Sign in to follow this  

Selling my 02 YZ250, need some input

Just resurrected my 02 YZ250 thats been sitting in my garage for the last 4 years. Thing still runs like its fresh, but needs some minor things to be completely tight. Anyway, I cleaned it up and put it for sale on C list for $1500 obo and just showed it to some tire kicker in my garage for the last 30 minutes who didnt have cash.

Anyway he asks me for the title and I went to grab it and realized I never had the title signed over to my name. I bought it from a friend brand new in 2003 after he broke his back on his second ride out. I have the title/plate and lien release from the bank. At the time I figured I'd handle the title eventually but he stopped riding, we kinda lost contact over the years and now im having a hell of a time trying to reconnect.

How would I go about fixing the title situation if I'm unable to contact him?

And is this really going to make selling the bike difficult without a title?

I'd be willing to take a hit on the price but is this really going to be a deal breaker for a sub ~1500 bike that has no chance of ever being plated or tagged?

The bike was titled at some point... no one should have a problem registering it just because you didn't. I just bought a bike for my boyfriend from a friend who never had it registered under his name because it was good when he bought it (from the first owner). As long as the bike isn't registered as stolen (which it shouldn't be) you're good to go.

Edited by AliGee

Well he did sign the title over to me but we never had it notarized. Doesnt the title need to be notarized? And wont the person whose name is on the title need to be present to do this?

It needs to be notarized for the dmv to do anything. I would say not having the title in AZ in your name is a deal breaker on anything over 500$ these days since you have to have a plate to ride anywhere in the state aside from private tracks. They are actually checking now days to see if you have a current sticker. A couple friends were trying to sell bikes recently and they couldn't give them away without a title. Both of them went the bonded route since they had no way of tracking down the original owners and then were able to sell the bikes. Obviously the best thing you can do is find your friend and get it notarized. Aside from that you can get a bonded title. A third party dmv is the easiest way to get them as they take care of all the legwork for a small fee. I'm pretty sure its well under 100$.

I dont know how the laws in Arizona are but in California if you can not find the title you can file for a lost title. Generally what would happen is you send a letter to the previous owners last known address. If he responds with the title signed and released to you then you are ok. If he does not respond at all after a certain, amount of time,(not sure how long), then you are ok also. The bummer is he wants to be a dick he can say he never sold it to you and reposes the title and allegedly the bike. Good luck.

Ahh, thanks for the replies.

Tryin to track this guy down has become a pain in the ass, I thought for sure I'd be able to locate him through friends, facebook, linked-in or something. Nada. Anway, there is a listing for a guy the same name and age in Cave Creek, but wants me to cough up money for a listing and number that might not be good.

I think I may go the bonded route if I dont get a wild hair in the next few days and decide to drive all the way out to Cave Creek on a chance.

Is this YZ250 street legal or what? I'm confused as to why you even want to title a yz250?

Neither of my yz250's are titled... just registered with the state for off-road use...

Appearently its a big effin deal to someone willing to plunk down 1500 bucks. I mean, I guess I don't blame someone for wanting it as it did come with one. Whatever.

Had 2 cash offers from people that didnt give a damn about the title but I feel like it might be worth the hastle for a few hundred extra bucks.

Also, wouldn't mind talking to the friend who sold it to me so many years ago either. This bike was the one that ended his days of riding with a legendary get off complete with helicopter ride to hospital.

Appearently its a big effin deal to someone willing to plunk down 1500 bucks. I mean, I guess I don't blame someone for wanting it as it did come with one. Whatever.

Had 2 cash offers from people that didnt give a damn about the title but I feel like it might be worth the hastle for a few hundred extra bucks.

Also, wouldn't mind talking to the friend who sold it to me so many years ago either. This bike was the one that ended his days of riding with a legendary get off complete with helicopter ride to hospital.

That's really odd... I've never heard of anyone wanting a title for a 2t off-road dirtbike. I don't think you'll get a couple hundred more than $1500 just because it has a title. A title to me would be worthless. That's just my two cents.

the cash offers are using the title issue as a dropping off point for bargaining the price. However, the one person that offered full price this afternoon wants a friggen title. I have the damn thing but its still in a friends name.

I'm with you, I dont get it either. I wouldnt care but I cant stomach letting this sweet bike go for less than 1500 because of my laziness to do what I should have done way back in 2003.

the cash offers are using the title issue as a dropping off point for bargaining the price. However, the one person that offered full price this afternoon wants a friggen title. I have the damn thing but its still in a friends name.

I'm with you, I dont get it either. I wouldnt care but I cant stomach letting this sweet bike go for less than 1500 because of my laziness to do what I should have done way back in 2003.

I hear ya. I wouldn't sell a 2003 for any less than 1500, especially with it sitting in the garage for a few years. The title shouldn't be an issue, so tell them they're idiots for not taking that deal. I don't know what Arizona laws are, but it would cost around $1,200+ to make that thing street legal. Tell those kooks they can go look for an already street legal bike for that kind of money. :smirk: Or they can get a stellar deal on a sick bike.

Sounds like a rough spot, the rules are pretty strict in az. Up here it doesn't matter who's name the title is in aslong as it's signed off but also in Oregon it's not mandatory to have a title for a bike. I would just take the time to get it squared away With your old buddy but may take more time to process everything

No matter what you do or say, people that dont know you are going to thing something up with ownership without the correct paperwork.

I dont know how the laws in Arizona are but in California if you can not find the title you can file for a lost title. Generally what would happen is you send a letter to the previous owners last known address. If he responds with the title signed and released to you then you are ok. If he does not respond at all after a certain, amount of time,(not sure how long), then you are ok also. The bummer is he wants to be a dick he can say he never sold it to you and reposes the title and allegedly the bike. Good luck.

In california also, vehicles that are not registered for 5 years are out of the system. They wouldn't be able to tell you who the previous owner is, so the title won't be as important as a bill of sale.

Why not go to get the title and let them tell you what you need.

If the bike is in good shape, its hard to imagine taking less than $1500. I think you'll do better parting it out.

My local DMV says 7 years but yeah you are right on that. As far as price, it is all just what people want to pay and how fast you want to sell it. I bought my 2002 KX250 last year for 1200. It was cherry with absolutely 0 cosmetic damage and runs perfect.

Is this YZ250 street legal or what? I'm confused as to why you even want to title a yz250?

Neither of my yz250's are titled... just registered with the state for off-road use...

same here :smirk:

Google is fairly amazing.

By trying varying searches on google using his name in different orders and then combining some of the info on the title I was able to find the guys current address. Dont ask me how but this was like some CSI type digging on my part. Real estate site leads to home purchase leads to marriage liscence leads to wifes facebook and pictures. Bam. :smirk:

i have a friend currently shopping for a 05 and up kx 250 and he won't buy unless the bike has a title. the reason behind it is that he lives in an apartment and he has renter's insurance. the insurance company won't cover the bike unless it has a title