Sign in to follow this  

Oregon Plates?

Can you still plate a bike in oregon or did they put a stop to it?

I have a plated KTM 200. I think buying and owning a KTM might be the only chance of plating a dirt bike in Oregon? The titles only state MC in the style box. I hope this helps?

I live in CA on the border I have family in Ore.Was going to put it in there name a ktm 200 was the bike I'd like to get plated.My husky has a plate which is a must in CA if you want to ride,but I need a 2stroke as good as the 4strokes are they are to heavy for a whimp like me.

Yep, just plated a KTM 300. Although the DMV clerk did play the devils advocate and tell me exactly what to say...

Kell

Thats what i wanted to hear:thumbsup:My dream of a plated 2-stroke my come true

Hi all, new to the forum and all these new plating rules.. sorry to revive a dead thread im just confused about the plating process here in oregon.. Ive got a 2003 wr450 title marked with  "MC"  in the style box.. also shows a plate # on title.. am I able to get a plate? just need a yes or no answer, if yes what do i do?? thanks in advance

Hi all, new to the forum and all these new plating rules.. sorry to revive a dead thread im just confused about the plating process here in oregon.. Ive got a 2003 wr450 title marked with  "MC"  in the style box.. also shows a plate # on title.. am I able to get a plate? just need a yes or no answer, if yes what do i do?? thanks in advance

An MC title is a street bike, and ORV title is a dirt bike, so there you go! So, when you transfer the title, tell them that you need a new plate. Also, you must have all the legal stuff that was required, at the time, when your bike was made. 

An MC title is a street bike, and ORV title is a dirt bike, so there you go! So, when you transfer the title, tell them that you need a new plate. Also, you must have all the legal stuff that was required, at the time, when your bike was made. 

thats refreshing, i shouldnt have a problem getting all the "legal" accessories, thanks for the quick reply!!

I bought an 04 KTM EXC525 last spring, had an expired plate and registration. To reregister, you are required to bring the bike with you, for them to look at. Other than MC on the registration, it was far from legal.... no turn signals, no horn, no dot tires, no high/low beam headlight..... was a bit worried, they gave me tags for it again. Hope that helps.

Does anyone know if it's possible to get a plate for a bike in oregon if it doesn't have the MC in the box?

I bought an 04 KTM EXC525 last spring, had an expired plate and registration. To reregister, you are required to bring the bike with you, for them to look at. Other than MC on the registration, it was far from legal.... no turn signals, no horn, no dot tires, no high/low beam headlight..... was a bit worried, they gave me tags for it again. Hope that helps.

thats about how legal mine is, but why'd they wanna see it?

Does anyone know if it's possible to get a plate for a bike in oregon if it doesn't have the MC in the box?

..... I would say, probably not. Years ago, it wasnt a problem.... but now they are very strict,

ok, guess the next step is just go down there to my local dmv and play stupid if needed.. honestly im pretty worried about it and hearing about all these people getting the dreaded plate return demand a month later after getting plates..  thanks all! will keep you all updated on how it goes

..... I would say, probably not. Years ago, it wasnt a problem.... but now they are very strict,

I have an 87 TT 350 I'd love to make a duel purpose Had heard if I knew someone in ID I could transfer title to them , they could get a plate then transfer it back to me and since it already had a plate OR would then issue me a plate. Total pita but it's a path at least. Wasn't sure if I just put all the road stuff on it, then went and applied for lost title or something if it could slip through, since the xt 350 was street legal and almost the same bike.

I have an 87 TT 350 I'd love to make a duel purpose Had heard if I knew someone in ID I could transfer title to them , they could get a plate then transfer it back to me and since it already had a plate OR would then issue me a plate. Total pita but it's a path at least. Wasn't sure if I just put all the road stuff on it, then went and applied for lost title or something if it could slip through, since the xt 350 was street legal and almost the same bike.

This is not so easy anymore. Idaho has changed their "plating" laws and most of it's bordering states know about this. You would HAVE to get them to change it's title designation to MC, instead of ORV. 

Currently Idaho has both designations and they are both street-able, but the ORV designated bikes cannot use state highways or roads over 35 MPH.

so i called the lana ave salem DMV today, told em i was interested in a bike to buy (its actually my bike but just played fulltarded), said the guy im buying it from said it was street legal but has no plates, so i provided the vin# he looked it up, came back as "MC" in the style box and said when i go into dmv for plates they will look up the MCO on the bike (was told it might take an hour) and see what pops up.. sooo.. no real progress just a little more info for anyone who'd like some..  im guessing theyll go by what the MCO says and determine that "street legal" was a lie..  just thought of maury lol

• Like 1

so i called the lana ave salem DMV today, told em i was interested in a bike to buy (its actually my bike but just played fulltarded), said the guy im buying it from said it was street legal but has no plates, so i provided the vin# he looked it up, came back as "MC" in the style box and said when i go into dmv for plates they will look up the MCO on the bike (was told it might take an hour) and see what pops up.. sooo.. no real progress just a little more info for anyone who'd like some..  im guessing theyll go by what the MCO says and determine that "street legal" was a lie..  just thought of maury lol

Any news? I'm rooting for you.

Btw, what's MCO stand for?

Any news? I'm rooting for you.

Btw, what's MCO stand for?

'Manufacturers Certificate of Origin'. It's the paperwork that comes with the bike from the factory.

The Japanese bikes all say 'off highway use only' on the MSO.

Gonna try for plates on my new Beta one of these days.

Edited by sandlvr69
  • Like 1

only new news i got is that some guy said a way around it was to mail in for plates in another state (cant remember which maybe NC or SC) but that was quickly shot down due to using my residential address and having the title and registration having an outside state address, obviously can get a big ticket for that so other than that ive gotten nowhere except for the realization that my bike is officially up for sale.. did get a trade offer for a klr 650 today, I assume those are factory street legal??, dont have anymore details on it as of yet but will keep updated with future info

• Like 1