300 Suspension Help

Ive got a 2005 KLX 300R and ive got to do something! about the forks, they bottom out everywhere and and it is becoming a huge problem. Will just the Gold Valve's make significant difference? or will i require springs also? i'm about 5'8" 170lbs any advice would be great!

Stock fork springs are good for a 140lb rider. Heavier springs and Gold Valves will help alot. Have you checked the fluid level in the forks?

Ride on

Brewster

yeah the fluid levels are fine, i was afraid of needing both, lookin to be pricey but ive got to do something about it

It seems all the KLX250-300 series is equipped with too soft fork springs. I have an '06 KLX250S which is about as close to the off-road-only model 300 as you can get. In addition to the soft fork springs, the compression damping just about sucks on that 43mm KYB on both bikes. The compression piston doesn't flow enough oil to keep up with gnarly terrain in many instances. In fact some of what you feel is bottoming might also be compression spiking. The soft springs and lousy compression characteristics combine together to make it fairly horrible.

Since my '06 and the '07 have the same exact travel as the 300, I used the Race Tech fork springs and Gold Valve kits for the 300 in my 250S. It changed the quality of the front end expotentially. I also Gold Valved the rear shock, and it yielded equal improvement. If there's a fork that can truly benefit from the Gold Valve mod, it's this fork. Just reshimming won't address the lousy oil flow in the main piston, so in this case the Gold Valve really does its job. Most high end forks can just be reshimmed, but I don't think you can get there from here with the OEM compression piston.

Ive got a 2005 KLX 300R and ive got to do something! about the forks, they bottom out everywhere and and it is becoming a huge problem. Will just the Gold Valve's make significant difference? or will i require springs also? i'm about 5'8" 170lbs any advice would be great!

Yep, better valves will be a positive difference. IF you can wait a few weeks, I have a local racing-shock supplier that wants to use my bike as a test-bike, and produce a damper system for it. Mine is a 2009, so, I don't know if it will be an easy adjustment for your 300, or not.

Anyway, they've done wonders on many other bikes, including KLR650, XR650L, SV650, and some others. They have a history of Paris-Dakar racing, and they're putting their Inertia Valve in many applications, with amazing results. Look them up on Google: RICOR.

It's going to be a month or more before they're ready with a final product, but, if it's as good on the KLX as it has been on these other applications, you'll love how it prevents the bottoming out, without having to resort to overly stiff springs...so, you get a very plush ride at the same time as a very good anti-bottoming out characteristic.

Otherwise, sure, Gold valve, or Moto-Pro, or Pro-Action...any of them are an improvement. I just happen to have Pro-Action on mine now due to a local Pro-Action expert with a good reputation in town being available to do mine.

I had to put in heavier front fork springs on my KLX300 and I'm not a very heavy person. They come with .38 psrings and I had to put in .40 for my size. Probably a set of .42s would help you, or .44s if you ride aggressively or do a lot of jumping. The Goldvalve kit will help out a lot with making the front end plusher riding and stop a lot of the side deflection in rocky terrain.

I had to put in heavier front fork springs on my KLX300 and I'm not a very heavy person. They come with .38 psrings and I had to put in .40 for my size. Probably a set of .42s would help you, or .44s if you ride aggressively or do a lot of jumping. The Goldvalve kit will help out a lot with making the front end plusher riding and stop a lot of the side deflection in rocky terrain.

+1:thumbsup:

I've got an 06 300 and changed the springs out to .44's for my 200 pound weight. Made a very big difference - no more bottoming. I probably ought to do the shock as well, but it hasn't been as big of an issue...probably because I'm a pretty slow rider. It does still deflect a bit off of squarer edged bumps, though. Is that likely caused by compression spiking / hydraulic lockup due to the thing not flowing enough oil?

I've got an 06 300 and changed the springs out to .44's for my 200 pound weight. Made a very big difference - no more bottoming. I probably ought to do the shock as well, but it hasn't been as big of an issue...probably because I'm a pretty slow rider. It does still deflect a bit off of squarer edged bumps, though. Is that likely caused by compression spiking / hydraulic lockup due to the thing not flowing enough oil?

Yes...valving will help that immensely.