Mike Alessi?

Motocross

Wasn't Mike Alessi on a 450 at Hangtown?

And he got the fastest qualifier by 4 seconds?

If so, KTM's 350 experiment kind of backfired :smirk:

Wasn't Mike Alessi on a 450 at Hangtown?

And he got the fastest qualifier by 4 seconds?

If so, KTM's 350 experiment kind of backfired :smirk:

I think the 350 does exactly what it was supposed to do. Gets people talking about KTM, fills a gap between the 250 and 450 and shows that KTM is thinking about what the public wants...not necessarily about what works best in the pro format.

That said, Short is doing just as well on the 350 as he was on his CRF450. No one said the 350 was going to fit every single ride perfectly.

I think if the 350 were as light as it was supposed to be, then it might be more of a threat.

I think the 350 does exactly what it was supposed to do. Gets people talking about KTM, fills a gap between the 250 and 450 and shows that KTM is thinking about what the public wants...not necessarily about what works best in the pro format.

That said, Short is doing just as well on the 350 as he was on his CRF450. No one said the 350 was going to fit every single ride perfectly.

I think if the 350 were as light as it was supposed to be, then it might be more of a threat.

What point was KTM trying to prove with the 350?

sales!!! i rode it and i liked it. but for the pros its a handy cap. they sell alot of them. and the 2s sale are very good also. one day soon they will sell more bike than honda.

What point was KTM trying to prove with the 350?

I believe they already proved it in the GP's. That point being that a top rider could ride the 350 just as fast as a 450 over the course of 2 motos and not have the bike beat the bejesus out of him while doing it. Also, 99% of the rest of us can't nearly use all the power that a 450 makes, so they made a bike that handles like a 250 with enough power to run with the 450's. Some buy into it, some don't. It really doesn't matter, at least they're willing to think out of the box, and in MX1 - it landed them on top.

BTW - Wherever you heard 4 sec gap to 2nd qual is unreliable. It was actually < 1 sec.

Edited by OKVet