Sign in to follow this  

My 2005 CR250R

I just bought a used 2005 CR250R. Got it for $1,400. I have been checking it out to see what it needs. So far, I replaced the sprocket, rear tire, side plastics, and grips. I still need to get a new chain, repack the silencer, get the fork seals replaced, and check out the engine. Engine starts right up, and doesn't seem to smoke much. It sounds quiet, and revs good. This is my first 250 2-smoker, so I am not sure how it is supposed to run. I have nothing to compare it to. I've been spending most of the time just trying to clean it up, and replace what needs to be replaced. So far, just routine maintenance stuff. After that, I will check out the engine real good. I will probably do a new piston, just because I think it needs it. Previous owner didn't do any work on the bike. It's all original. No idea how much run-time on this bike. Previous owner claimed "low hours", but they ALL claim that. Bike was pretty clean, and the price was right, so I went for it. I hope it won't be a "money-pit". So far, I spent a few hundred on parts. Still gotta do them fork seals though. My last bike was a 2000 CR500R, which I had to sell back in 2004 because I needed money. I always had plans to get another bike someday, and that day is here!

CR250R_5049.jpg

Looks like it will be a nice bike and sesms like a good price. You are going to think it is a little revy compaired to the cr500 but it is going to also be like a surgeons knife rather than the blunt obejct pushing through < start of flame war>. But that is just my opinon.

Cool! I love my 2007. I think the 05's and 07's are pretty much the same. And if you're not happy with the engine, heck, these frames make great CR500 conversions! :smirk:

If you want to add some performance goodies, put on a Vforce3 if you don't have one, and run a 51 tooth rear sprocket. I like my Pro Circuit pipe along with the Pro Circuit silencer...

The bike looks like it didn't see a lot of use, so you probably got a good deal. Is the bike missing the fork guards and front disk cover or did you just pull those off cleaning up? I'd do a compression check before you rebuilt it, and if the compression is good, jump on and ride.

Looks like it will be a nice bike and sesms like a good price. You are going to think it is a little revy compaired to the cr500 but it is going to also be like a surgeons knife rather than the blunt obejct pushing through < start of flame war>. But that is just my opinon.

I recently had the opportunity to spend all day at the California sand dunes with a 2007 CR250F. That bike was FUN. The first thing I noticed about it was how light it was, and how nice the suspension was. I didn't think the engine was going to have anywhere near enough power to get out of it's own way, but it surprised me. It went anywhere I told it to go. That little 4-stroker was rev`ing hard.

This 2005 CR250R seems to be nice and light, ( like the CR250F ), only with MORE power.

So I should be a happy camper!

As for your comment: I never thought my 2000 CR500 was all that heavy. With all that power, it was a low-flying object! Point it where you want it to go... and HANG ON. Loved it.

Cool! I love my 2007. I think the 05's and 07's are pretty much the same.

If you want to add some performance goodies, put on a Vforce3 if you don't have one, and run a 51 tooth rear sprocket. I like my Pro Circuit pipe along with the Pro Circuit silencer...

From what I read on the internet, the 05's to 07's are the same bike basically.

Vforce3 reed block would be nice, but I don't want to spend $150 on that right now. This bike has a Pro Circuit Works pipe and silencer on it, and Boysen reeds. Good enough for me to have fun on it. I just want to make it clean and reliable. Not looking to get maximum power out of it. I'm older now, and I don't ride like I used to when I was younger and bulletproof.

:smirk:

Thanks for the comments, I appreciate the feedback.

The bike looks like it didn't see a lot of use, so you probably got a good deal. Is the bike missing the fork guards and front disk cover or did you just pull those off cleaning up? I'd do a compression check before you rebuilt it, and if the compression is good, jump on and ride.

Hey Joe,

The bike seems to have the normal wear on it. Chain, sprockets, chain slider & guide, rear tire, all that kinda stuff. Easy to replace, and not too terribly expensive.

The bike isn't missing anything, I just took it apart to inspect and clean it.

Some of the plastic I am replacing. Like the side panels, and the fork guards.

Front disc cover was on it, but I took it off. Brake pads look about halfway worn out in the front, and only 1/3rd worn out in the rear.

I planned to do a compression test once I finish these other maintenance items. I have a tester. Can anyone tell me what kind of compression reading I should be looking for? What is good, and what is bad?

Any other things I should be looking for? I am not experienced with this particular bike, although I have had bikes in the past, so some of this stuff is familiar.

Thanks again for the feedback and the help.

170 and up is what it should be stock from what I've read. My 04 tested around 180, let me know what yours is.

Vforce3 reed block would be nice, but I don't want to spend $150 on that right now. This bike has a Pro Circuit Works pipe and silencer on it, and Boysen reeds. Good enough for me to have fun on it. I just want to make it clean and reliable. Not looking to get maximum power out of it. I'm older now, and I don't ride like I used to when I was younger and bulletproof.

Heehee! Yeah, I'm 52 and have been feeling my age (mostly in my knees) for several years... :smirk:

Sounds like you have a great bike just the way it is. So, where are you in AZ? I'm in Tucson...

By the way, are you going to do the fork seals yourself or have someone do them for you? I've been impressed with Donnie from ZR1 suspension, and I have been disappointed with Bryan from Blitz...

170 and up is what it should be stock from what I've read. My 04 tested around 180, let me know what yours is.

Sweet. Thanks. I will let ya know. Gonna test it this week.

Dougster,

I am in Yuma. ( Which is about 20 miles from the California Buttercup sand dunes )

We have lots of places to ride around here. Dunes or desert. No real MX track, but we have a place called "THE PIT" that has some jumps and banked turns. It's down inside this big square pit. Next time I am out there, I will get a photo of it.

FORK SEALS:

I watched some videos on how to do these, and learned I need a bunch of special tools to do the job correctly. I am not risking my fork tubes on a punch and a hammer and channel-locks! Also, I don't have a service manual, so I have no idea how much oil to put in. I read on the internet someplace it is 14oz per tube. But these forks are dual-chambered, ( from what I read on the net ), so you have to put some oil in the inner part, bleed it, then fill the outer tube with the rest. By the time I buy a service manual, and the special tools, it's gonna cost me the same as if I let my local shop do them. I would rather just do them myself, but I don't want to buy a $50 book, and $100 worth of special tools for something I am only going to do ONCE.

I don't MX race, or do MX freestyle jumping, so I am sure the new fork seals will last me 10 years. If I had the tools, or knew someone with the tools, I would do them in a heartbeat.

From what I read on the internet, the 05's to 07's are the same bike basically.

Thanks for the comments, I appreciate the feedback.

Vforce reeds are not that great. If you ever do spend the money, get a Boyesen.

Yuma! That's the place we always think of when we get whiney about how hot it is in Tucson...! :smirk:

BTW, what about Happy Track?

Yeah, August is a BAD month for us out here.

HAPPY TRACK. WOW. I never even knew that was out here!

C-R-A-Z-Y. I know right where it is, too. It's a few miles down the street from my house.

Like I said.... I been "out of the loop" since I sold my CR500 back in 2004.

I see Happy Track is going to be open this saturday night. Looks like I will go check it out.

Nice bike man

Thanks. Good to be back.

I been working a little bit each day on this bike since I got it last week, and man is this thing cleaning up NICE. When I get it done, it's gonna look like it came off the showroom floor. All it needed was a little TLC from someone who cares about it.

I'll post another pic after it's all done.

Okay, latest update:

I pulled the fork tubes off.... taking them to the shop tomorrow for the FORK SEAL job.

I ran a COMPRESSION TEST on it today.

It's making a little over 150 psi. Spark plug was black.

It's probably got a little more life in it... but I might go ahead and do the top end. I am also thinking about a right-side crank seal, and a new clutch kit.

At least then I would know the bike was all good and ready to go.

I'm going to ride it at least once before I do the top-end.

What do you guys think?

Check out the Tusk clutch at Rocky Mountain ATV. $46 with springs. It comes with steel plates, so you won't have all those shiny aluminum shavings in your oil. Lasts longer, plus it adds a tiny bit of flywheel weight to (in theory) smooth the power band...