Yz 250 vs cr 250 ??

Hi

I ride quads on Mx track and supermoto but I'm getting a dirtbike soon but I just can't decide between a 02/03 YZ 250 and 03/04 CR 250.

( Actually the bike I'm looking at are WRZ 250 (Road legal YZ 250) and CRE 250 (Road legal CR 250) )

I've read on other forums that many people prefer the YZ but there's also other who prefer the CR so I just can't decide !

From what I've read, it seems that the YZ has a better engine, and the CR a better chassis/suspension. They say the CR engine is weak at bottom, pulls very hard at middle rpms then falls flat on top rpms. The CR also seems to need a lot RC Valve and carb adjustments and something have intake probs.

The CR has an alloy frame ans the YZ a steel one, they weight the same though, does the alloy frame makes a big difference ?

I'm 6' 2" and I'll mostly do supermoto (road riding), mx track and trails.

There's also the CRF 250 & 450 but I don't want to buy a used 4 stroke since I wouldn't know how it has been maintained. A 2 stroke is cheap to rebuild but a 4 stroke can cost a lot of $$.

So which one is better ?

tahitianrider thanks Cavemike for his reply ?

I found a 02 YZ 250 in good condition and a 04 CR 250 in good condition too.

The YZ is 600 bucks cheaper. So should I get the YZ ? Once again the only point were I'm hesitant is Alloy frame vs Steel frame.

Also found a 03 YZ 250 700 bucks cheaper than the 02 YZ but in less good condition, but with 700 bucks I can get a pipe and a whole plastic kit...

What would you do ?

I also found a 03 CR 250 in mint condition with a supermoto tire/rim kit in extra but for 1000 bucks more than the 04 CR 250 and some 06 CR 250 for the same price.

Also seen a 04 CRF 450 for the same price as the 04 CR 250 but I'm afraid of buying used 4 strokes.

Lol that makes a lot of bikes sorry if that's too much question.

i will get the yz if its 05 and up because of the aluminium frame. but if the yz is earlier then 05 the just get which ever is a better deal and in better condition.

Edited by daniel96

It depends on your budget really what you feel comfortable spending because there's always a nicer bike for just a little more either Spend a little more and get the a cr250 or save a little cash get a Yz and with the money saved put it into a Yz and make it the way you want it to be. I figured out my main reason for liking the cr250 more is because they clean up nice and for a older Yz they are usually showing there age frame wear rusty spots here and there. But that's just me

Hi

I ride quads on Mx track and supermoto but I'm getting a dirtbike soon but I just can't decide between a 02/03 YZ 250 and 03/04 CR 250.

( Actually the bike I'm looking at are WRZ 250 (Road legal YZ 250) and CRE 250 (Road legal CR 250) )

I've read on other forums that many people prefer the YZ but there's also other who prefer the CR so I just can't decide !

From what I've read, it seems that the YZ has a better engine, and the CR a better chassis/suspension. They say the CR engine is weak at bottom, pulls very hard at middle rpms then falls flat on top rpms. The CR also seems to need a lot RC Valve and carb adjustments and something have intake probs.

The CR has an alloy frame ans the YZ a steel one, they weight the same though, does the alloy frame makes a big difference ?

I'm 6' 2" and I'll mostly do supermoto (road riding), mx track and trails.

There's also the CRF 250 & 450 but I don't want to buy a used 4 stroke since I wouldn't know how it has been maintained. A 2 stroke is cheap to rebuild but a 4 stroke can cost a lot of $$.

So which one is better ?

I'm a Honda guy, but for 2 strokes the KTM is the most powerful. They are good bikes.

Thanks for your replies !

It depends on your budget really what you feel comfortable spending because there's always a nicer bike for just a little more either Spend a little more and get the a cr250 or save a little cash get a Yz and with the money saved put it into a Yz and make it the way you want it to be. I figured out my main reason for liking the cr250 more is because they clean up nice and for a older Yz they are usually showing there age frame wear rusty spots here and there. But that's just me

All the bikes I've seen are in my budget, but I might get the YZ that is cheaper so with the difference I can mod it how I want.

The YZ I've seen is in pretty good condition, the frame isn't scratched that surprised me, maybe re painted it but looks like it has been well maintained.

I own both a steel frame yz125 and a aluminium yz250. I dont notice a huge difference to be honest.

That's what I wanted to know ! Thanks.

So I might tend to go for the YZ but I think I'll just try both bikes and see which one I prefert.

As far as look, I like both, might even prefert the YZ (and it's a Yamaha, I'm a Yamaddict ? ) but just one the one with the better handling and engine.

Actullay I'm not looking at KTM because their only road legal models are EXC, and they're enduro. In europe, you find 02/03 Road legal YZ 250 (called WRZ) and 02/07 Road legal CR 250 (called CRE). I want a road legal mx bike, not an enduro one since I plan to jump it too.

I think that if I get one of the two it'll be the YZ, I read all around that the CR from 2002 doesn't have any bottom end power since they changed the valve.

But I'm now considering a 2008 rmz 250 lol, it has less power but it's a more recent bike and I'm not sure if I'll like the 2 stroke feeling since I'm used to 4 stroke. People say you can't let them idle if you don't wanna foul plugs.

I think that if I get one of the two it'll be the YZ, I read all around that the CR from 2002 doesn't have any bottom end power since they changed the valve.

But I'm now considering a 2008 rmz 250 lol, it has less power but it's a more recent bike and I'm not sure if I'll like the 2 stroke feeling since I'm used to 4 stroke. People say you can't let them idle if you don't wanna foul plugs.

my ktm200 will idle all day and not foul a plug... they only foul plugs with incorrect jetting

I would take the Cr personally. Im in love with the all around feel that 250 has. Especially if its newer, because lets be honest. Not very many people takes care of their bikes the way they really should be and with a older bike that means more possibilites of things going wrong in the long haul.