Is it bad to lift your bike by the muffler?

When the bike is not hot, is it okay to put in on a stand by lifting it from the silencer instead of the swingarm? It won't cause it to leak or bend will it?

Thanks

I wouldn't risk it, for me I find it easier to lift from the subframe where the fender connects.

Might not hurt it the first time or second time but soon you can crack your mounting tab. That tab is designed to hold the weight of your exhaust not the bike

I wouldnt, even though you can. like dirtrider 11 said i always get it by the sub frame.

Ite thanks guys the I've done it a few times but I guess I'll just use the subframe like dirtrider11 said. The reason I thought it was okay is because when I bought it, the guy lifted it off the ground and turned it around towards the door by the silencer

Oh wait i just realized I can't pick it up by the subframe because their is a plastic exhuast guard that extend a few inches to the pipe the is connected to the sub, so i guess I'm back to the swingarm or mainframe (kinda hard for me)

Ite thanks guys the I've done it a few times but I guess I'll just use the subframe like dirtrider11 said. The reason I thought it was okay is because when I bought it, the guy lifted it off the ground and turned it around towards the door by the silencer

Oh wait i just realized I can't pick it up by the subframe because their is a plastic exhuast guard that extend a few inches to the pipe the is connected to the sub, so i guess I'm back to the swingarm or mainframe (kinda hard for me)

Put a tugger on it. nylon strap specifically mounted to allow you to lift it. couple of good old boys out of Logan Utah, great product, great customer support, good price google em up

cool maybe I'll look into that, because my '09 KTM really doesn't have a good place to grab.

Yeah, if you are looking into the tugger lift strap, just make your own. Find an old, heavy duty tie-down. Cut it to the length of the seat plus about an inch on each side. Then fold over the edges to correct length and cut/drill your own holes into the strap. Mount and poof, you have a homemade lift strap :smirk:

I found the same problem with my 2002 KX250. No place to grab to lift the bike. If the bike is cold I do sometimes grab the silencer. Most of the time though I grab the plastic right near the base of the rear fender. A tugger strap would be good on this one too.