Sign in to follow this  

head problems Pt 2

Ok I just had my 2004 250x head rebuild with s steel inlet valves put the head back on set up the timming and started the bike up it ran fine till i went to open the throttle then the engine stopped so took the rocker cove off and checked the timming and it had moved quite a few teeth after about 5 times trying to set the timming up found out the the cam chain had slipped of the shaft so pushed it back on and set up the timming started the bike and it ran fine would i had done any any damage to the valves piston or con rod if i had would i be able to tell with out taking it all apart again ??

If the piston did not hit the piston then you probably are ok. If it is still running smooth then you probably did not bend the valves. I would probably run it and hope for the best. My bigger concern is why did the cam chain jump? Make sure you have the chain tensioner adjusted correctly.

Ok I just had my 2004 250x head rebuild with s steel inlet valves put the head back on set up the timming and started the bike up it ran fine till i went to open the throttle then the engine stopped so took the rocker cove off and checked the timming and it had moved quite a few teeth after about 5 times trying to set the timming up found out the the cam chain had slipped of the shaft so pushed it back on and set up the timming started the bike and it ran fine would i had done any any damage to the valves piston or con rod if i had would i be able to tell with out taking it all apart again ??

Did you have the cam chain and tensioner installed properly, the tensioner may be faulty or the cam chain may be stretched and you might not be so lucky next time

Did you have the cam chain and tensioner installed properly, the tensioner may be faulty or the cam chain may be stretched and you might not be so lucky next time
I think that I didn't install the tensioner correctly or the chain was not on the bottom drive cog I have just check the chain and is now on the bottom cog and the bike is running ok so lesson learned check the cam chain is on the bottom cog after you have reshimed your valves Edited by blade72003

only way to know for sure is to check everything.