Sign in to follow this  

Trail Tech Vapor tachometer and temperature sensor

Anybody with the Tail Tech Vapor tell me how you hooked the tach up,I tried wrapping the wire around the plug wire 5 times but it didn't work that good and did anybody mount the temp sensor to the back of the head on the oil line?

I don't know how many wraps I got just above the plug boot, but I then covered it with friction tape, and it works quite well.

i stripped about 2'' of insulation off the wire from the tachometer and laid it on the spark plug wire and electrical taped it down. seems to be accurrate. Also put the oil temp sensor in between the head and the hard line with the bajo bolt.

I hooked mine directly to the coil. Works great. For the oil temp, same as above - on the banjo bolt on the upper oil feed line.

I had issues with hooking up my tach wire, started with wrapping it around the spark plug wire then wired directly to the coil then went back to wrapping it around the spark plug wire and soldering in a resister, it works much better now, I still feel that I am intermittently picking up a extra pulse from somewhere and I was going to try insulating the whole tach wire but just haven't gotten to that yet, it's kind of low on the list of things to do.

102_1391.jpg102_1393.jpg

as far as the temp gauge I would have put it on the banjo bolt like others are doing but by the time that Idea was discussed I had tried it in several other places and the ring surface had gotten scraped/dinged and I didn't trust it would seal up anymore so now it sits on a bolt on top of the head which only gives me a head temp, If I can pick up another sensor cheap I will put it on the banjo bolt but the last time I checked they wanted $30 just for the ring sending wire.

Edited by jjast

You can't hook it up directly to the coil pulse wire, it will not work right.

Wrap the wire 5 times around the coil spark plug lead and wrap with tap, if it still reads to high or low than remove wraps as needed one at a time.

Five wraps worked for me......

I spliced and soldered directly to the coil wire, and mine works great.:smirk:

I spliced and soldered directly to the coil wire, and mine works great.:smirk:

When I did that the tach would fludder all the way off the graph at low RPM's.

Hmm, maybe I did something wrong...:smirk:

When I did that the tach would fludder all the way off the graph at low RPM's.

Hmm, maybe I did something wrong...:smirk:

mine did the same thing!:smirk:

Funny it works for me.

Wrap the wire 5 times around the coil spark plug lead and wrap with tape, if it still reads to high or low than remove wraps as needed one at a time.

Five wraps worked for me......

Used this method and it works great. Also, make sure you've got the ground wire going to a solid mounting point. :smirk:

as far as the temp gauge I would have put it on the banjo bolt like others are doing but by the time that Idea was discussed I had tried it in several other places and the ring surface had gotten scraped/dinged and I didn't trust it would seal up anymore so now it sits on a bolt on top of the head which only gives me a head temp, If I can pick up another sensor cheap I will put it on the banjo bolt but the last time I checked they wanted $30 just for the ring sending wire.

call trail tech and tell them the the copper washer is not sealing right and they should send you another one. i had an issue with mine not sealing right (it was my fault) and they sent me one for free no questions asked. i didn't even buy the computer from them it came with the bike.

Yep, tach lead wrapped on the plug wire and temp sensor at the banjo bolt, works great.

I needed a different diameter temp sensor to use at the banjo bolt, they sent one out to me also, I've had nothing but great support from Trail Tech. :smirk:

I did the 5 wraps with friction tape and the temp sensor under the oil passage line and ot does work. As far as accurate, no way to tell? Seems reasonable though.

Different question: What is acceptable running temperature? Whats too hot? The vapor has two setpoints hot and OMG hot. What should those be set at? I have the hot at 235 and the OMG at 300. Seems reasonable, riding around keping air flowing over the engine at runs about 200 or so. Stopped in traffic it goes up to 250 or so.

I personally think the 5 wraps is a garbage way to go and not very reliable. I soldered mine directly to the coil signal and used a spare threaded hole on the frame for my ground and it works perfectly and has since I installed it. Oil temp was also very easy on the banjo bolt, however mine wasn't long enough so I called trail tech and the sent me a 12" extension harness for free!

I personally think the 5 wraps is a garbage way to go and not very reliable. I soldered mine directly to the coil signal and used a spare threaded hole on the frame for my ground and it works perfectly and has since I installed it. Oil temp was also very easy on the banjo bolt, however mine wasn't long enough so I called trail tech and the sent me a 12" extension harness for free!