Conrod clips vs plugs on 2strokes

I noticed this picture on another thread

why are we still using clips that have a tendency to come off, when plugs like this can be used?

rsa-pi10.jpg

clips are more reliable if installed correctly

Maybe oil?

I think it has to do with the oil, because it needs to get in there at the needle bearing. This is purely a guess, so dont mark my words or anything.

I think it has to do with the oil, because it needs to get in there at the needle bearing. This is purely a guess, so dont mark my words or anything.

Oil doesn't get to the bearing that way, the pin has solid walls, no oiling hole.

Im not sure why we use clips instead of caps. Wondered this before as well, as many small engines (thing "weedwacker") use caps as well. While that is for ease of manufacture, it seems there are benefits for bikes as well, such as the home mechanic not worrying about dropping a circlip into the bottom end, or shooting it across the garage. As well as the benefits mentioned in the other thread, with the pin lining up with transfer ports and effecting pressure waves and such.

the piston in the picture is an aprilia road race 125, these things make massive hp, much more than a 125 dirt bike

It may depend on port orientation, if they where to move, and catch in a port, allthough plastic, they could damage parts internally. Also what about small end cooling?

With a hollow, clipped pin, do you get any intake air movement through there?

It may depend on port orientation, if they where to move, and catch in a port, allthough plastic, they could damage parts internally.
That would be my concern with using them. Unless there were a bridge of cylinder wall top to bottom for the plug to run against, I wouldn't trust it.
the piston in the picture is an aprilia road race 125, these things make massive hp, much more than a 125 dirt bike

RS125?

They make same as any other 125 dirt bike. The rs250 makes about the same as a 250 and only slightly more because it's a twin.

RS125?

They make same as any other 125 dirt bike. The rs250 makes about the same as a 250 and only slightly more because it's a twin.

umm, no, it's a GP race bike, the piston in the picture makes 55 horsepower it's a 125

here's a dyno, someone posted this to the other thread

power_10.png

umm, no, it's a GP race bike, the piston in the picture makes 55 horsepower it's a 125

here's a dyno, someone posted this to the other thread

It's a 125 what? A standard rs125 gp makes 28hp or about 30-35hp when tuned. Most people don't have ACTUAL gp kit bikes like the rsv125/250. IIRC their price is around $50,000+ brand new. That is why I asked.

I thought I was clear, it's a GP race bike, yeah they are expensive

I thought I was clear, it's a GP race bike, yeah they are expensive

Heh, considering the actual model for the standard Aprilla bikes are rs125gp and rs250gp as well as the fact that they're ARE race bikes...makes it ambiguous. :smirk:

Heh, considering the actual model for the standard Aprilla bikes are rs125gp and rs250gp as well as the fact that they're ARE race bikes...makes it ambiguous. :smirk:

are you asking me another question?

I think this is a picture of the engine

rsa110.jpg

I'm imply that saying Aprilla GP Race bike doesn't mean anything as they have a bunch of different models that are "gp" "race" "bike". They have different levels of tuning, completely different parts and completely different price points.

Picture = Good

I'm imply that saying Aprilla GP Race bike doesn't mean anything as they have a bunch of different models that are "gp" "race" "bike". They have different levels of tuning, completely different parts and completely different price points.

ohh, I said race bike 3 times now, it's a factory race bike, I did not think the rs125 people get for trackdays make 55 hp

The Aprilia RS125 does make 55hp. The customer honda rs125 is still a GP racebike, and makes plenty more power than any dirtbike 125. Stock they make 35-38 at the rear wheel. Well tuned they make over 40. mine reved out to over 14k.

I think you will not find any dirtbikes making much over 30 at the rear wheel. I went from the RS to a well tuned 04 sx125 and the power was night and day different (the GP bike having so much more).

t2jpg.jpg

I'm not 100% on this, but I think it's because of plug/port interference. If this isn't an issue than I think its fine to use a system like this.

i.e. the plug doesn't have to pass an opening of a port during its cycle or stroke it would ok to use. Most 2 cycle engines have ports that would interfere with this design.

could be very wrong though as my studies have never gotten into this subject.

basicly what everyone has said already. plug/port=no good.

clips work just as well IF you put them in right. alot of people dont. thats why they fail.