Sign in to follow this  

Continued help needed. Carb apart, reeds fine, PV works, new piston, new plug etc...

Ok Well I was back on the bike again yesterday and the thing sucks. It is running very poorly. I cannot build revs or power in 2nd gear on any kind of a gradually steep hill.

Settings

JD jetting 45 pilot, 172 main red needle 1 step leaner than what he calls for.

Boysen rad valve

New top end 7 hours ago

New plug

Castor 927 32:1

elevation 1000 to maybe 3000

I thought maybe the plug was bad. Put a new plug in and decided to start there.

Well the plug didn't solve anything.

So I tore her apart today.

PV seems to work just fine and opens all the way. i thought that maybe the PV wasnt opening due to how its running. The actuator moves freely and the PV opens and operates correctly as far as I can tell w/ the bike not running.

Reeds seem just fine to me. Boysen Rad valve.

Top end has 7 hours on it.

Carb apart. I thought well maybe the main jet has something in it? Not the case jets are fine. 45 pilot, JD red needle one step leaner than what he calls for and a 172 main. I run Castor 927 at 32:1. I will recheck float height but it seems to be fine from what I can remember for the general rule of thumb.

So I took the PV cover to be sure there wasnt anything broken or lodges in there. It loks fine BUT there is a TON of pooled oil and the backside of the cover has a thick oily sludge all over it???? This wasnt the case when i tore it down last time (7 hours ago) for a top end..???

BUT maybe its due to running excessively rich? My bike on a gravel road just stops making any kind of power. I can literally turn the throttle from 1/2 to full w/ nothing happening whatsoever. it just sounds and feels like its hitting a rev limiter.??????

I then thought well maybe a crank seal? the bike smokes when i am on the throttle hard I am told. or lugging then call on a handful of power.

So I start and warm bike and spray starter fluid all around flywheel. Nothing changed as far as RPMS go.

So then i drain the oil and I am maybe an ounce maybe 2 ounces from what i put in about 10 hours ago. BUT I do get some oily residue out the breather so this could be accounted for.

My dilemma is the bike has ripped in the past w/ the same jetting in about all conditions. I dont know what would have changed from last year to this year to make this thing a turd???

I am lost???

My timing is retarded a couple degrees. I guess its worth rechecking that but can the thing really move around and if so wouldnt it be really bad?

My next thing I guess to try is to try the stock tank and stock gas cap. maybe my clark and clark gas cap is some how creating a vacuum in the tank and causing issues?

Anyway any insight from anyone?

Thanks all.

I saw this same problem a few years ago. The upper coil had a small amount of rust on the mounting.

Use a timing light to see what the spark does...

Lol sounds like you have the same issue as me pretty much. Are you sure both sides of the pv are opening and closing together?

I have also seen bad grounds on the ignition do that.I would check it, and try some new fuel.....ya never know.

Well thanks for the suggestions. I removed the coil and was hoping to see a short or cut wire or something but no luck. The mounting points are slightly rusty but nothing really under the bolt heads. I will clean them up though.

I have never used a timing light and don't own one. bummer. :smirk:

Yes both sides of the PV are opening together.

Can you be more specific w/ what grounds you are referring too on the ignition? I use fresh fuel just about every weekend so thats ruled out.

Thanks!!!!!!!

Take the exhaust off and see if it revs out. I had a similiar problem and it ended up being a clogged silencer. Seriously.

The coil grounds right to the frame....check it out. Check all your connections too. Have you tried getting on it while it is still somewhat cold to rule out a stator?

Take the exhaust off and see if it revs out. I had a similiar problem and it ended up being a clogged silencer. Seriously.

I am going to repack the silencer tomorrow. Its been 100 hours since my last repack so i am due but still making sound checks at the races.

When you say clogged do you mean literally sooted up? if so did you soak it in something to break that stuff up after you yanked the packing?

The coil grounds right to the frame....check it out. Check all your connections too. Have you tried getting on it while it is still somewhat cold to rule out a stator?

Yes connections all look good and clean. Coil mounting area looks clean. Coil is relatively clean.

I have not tried to get on it cold. i have never been a cold rev my bike kind of rider.

What does the cold motor have to do w ruling out a stator? Sorry if I seem like a moron here but just curious.

OH AND THANKS for all the suggestions!!!!!!!!!!!! GREATLY appreciated

I am going to repack the silencer tomorrow. Its been 100 hours since my last repack so i am due but still making sound checks at the races.

When you say clogged do you mean literally sooted up? if so did you soak it in something to break that stuff up after you yanked the packing?

Wow, I usually end up repacking at 20 hours or so.

Sooted up with the packing stuffed tight around the sparky, causing it to not breathe. I think I was so pissed at it the I beat it with a hammer for 5 minutes and bought a new one. Usually I soak it in gas and hit it with a wire wheel.

So I pulled the silencer/sparky and it took about 30 minutes solid of trying to pry the core out from the other end! Needless to say i have anout 1/4" of hard carbon deposit all around the inside of the core. All the mesh is plugged. Soaking it in gas for an hour did nothing to loosen the deposits.

The turbine portion of the spark arrestor appears to be completely caked w/ the same deposits. I put the stocker silencer back on warmed it up and ripped it around the neighborhood and the thing felt strong. I really need about 30 minutes in the woods though to be sure.

So I ordered a new turbine Core II.

Stay tuned. :smirk:

My bro's bike was not building any power either in 1st and 2nd and it turned out to be the clutch cable was just to tight so the clutch was not fully disengaging. Loosened it up so that there was alot of play on the lever and it runs stronger than ever. Worth a look.

Easy way to clean a silencer core is to toss it in the Weber BBQ,in the hot coals for a while. It might smoke out the neighbors,,but at least it will be clean!

DSCN5975.jpg

So I pulled the silencer/sparky and it took about 30 minutes solid of trying to pry the core out from the other end! Needless to say i have anout 1/4" of hard carbon deposit all around the inside of the core. All the mesh is plugged. Soaking it in gas for an hour did nothing to loosen the deposits.

The turbine portion of the spark arrestor appears to be completely caked w/ the same deposits. I put the stocker silencer back on warmed it up and ripped it around the neighborhood and the thing felt strong. I really need about 30 minutes in the woods though to be sure.

So I ordered a new turbine Core II.

Stay tuned. :smirk:

Maybe less than 100 hours next time?

Glad I was able to help. Hopefully it cost you less than it cost me. I had never heard of that happening before, but since I dealt with it, I have passed it on to another 4-5 people with the same results.

Easy way to clean a silencer core is to toss it in the Weber BBQ,in the hot coals for a while. It might smoke out the neighbors,,but at least it will be clean!

holy crap, do you get a deal on charcoal?......that is a pile!

lol

holy crap, do you get a deal on charcoal?......that is a pile!

lol

:lol:Actually that is the smaller weber,i also have a full sized one for "food use" only.:smirk: I get a large bag for about 7 bucks. That took about a 1\4 of one.

Guys thanks. Will definitley report back w/ the results once I get a woods ride on the new silencer.

oh and that charcoal pic is just f-ing classic man thanks fore the laugh! :smirk:

Just wanted to check back in here and say THANKS! I put a new sparky on and the bike flat out rips again!

I guess my bike had been slowly and slowly been getting choked up and I knew things were off but it was so gradual it was hard to notice.

The culprit was a clogged spark arrestor after all. I put the old parts in a camp fire this weekend to burn the carbon off (which took a while it was so baked on) so I can have a backup muffler. Sure it wont win a beauty contest but will work if i have the new one apart for repack or cleaning.

Spent the last weekend ripping Central Oregon on what felt like a new bike!

So guys check your mufflers and spark arrestors. I run the Turbine Core II and they will clog over time. 200 hours on the muffler and 100 since the last pack but it never crossed my mind to really clean or remove the spark arrestor or check it out.:smirk: