250 or 450?

So i am getting a brand new bike. I will be doing lots of faster trails, and tons of hillclimbing. I am going with a four stroke, but should i go with a 250 or a 450, and a honda or a yamaha. I am thinking the 250 would be better because is lighter, and snappier, but the 450 because of raw power. I was thinking Yamaha due to reliability, but honda because of reliability and my previous bike was a honda. I just want some feedback from other riders, any suggestions? i also will be doing some logging dirt roads, so consider that as well. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

I'm going through the same thing now.

My wife got a quad and my friend got a CRF450R, so I don't ride street very often anymore, plus the weight and size of my XR650L is making hillclimbs tough!

I know I want to go down, and I was considering the 450X, but after riding my friend's 450R (I know they're very different bikes, but it's a frame of reference) I feel it might be too much bike for how I want to ride it. I've never ridden a 4-stroke 250 though, and I'm afraid it won't have the get up and go to it, especially with him riding a 450. That 100 fewer pounds sounds quite nice, though!

I'll be watching this thread.

i would really just suggest getting the 250, and with the money you saved go put a hot cam and exhaust on it and just call it good. I have a older yz250f and it has a stage 2 cam, bbr exhaust and airfilter. it will stay with the 450s on the trails no prob

If you have any throttle control what so ever you will most likely be fine on the 450. I'm 5'9" and 160 pounds and i spent all day yesterday riding my crf450r on nearly virticle trails with hundreds of switchbacks and rocks the size of my helmet everywhere, the bike did great, but 2nd gear was plenty fast in terrain like that. If your throttle control isnt so great and you still get a 450, you will learn that a little throttle goes a long way lol :smirk:

A built up 250 has a nice feel....much lighter feel than the 450

Or you could get a 250 smoker that's lighter than a 250 4t and will blow past a 450 4t.

#justsayin. :smirk:

personally i'd avoid the 450 for trails. my buddy had one and he found it was just too much power unless it was a very wide, flat, dirt road where he could use the power.

i climb lots of hills, do a lot of tight stuff, and logging roads with plenty of ease on my 250 f

get the 450 and the crf and yzf are both good, so just get what ever is a better deal

I've never had a bike with too much power. As soon as you said tons of hill climbing, you ruled out the 250.

On a 450, you can ride it a gear high and learn throttle control, but there's no such thing as too much power.

^Colorado is a whole lot diferent than Vermont!

If I was in Co, I'd get a 450. But in Vermont, no doubt, I'd go 250. With bikes, it's always better to go a little too small than too big. Besides buying a dirtbike isn't a lifetime commitment. You can always get that 450 later if you want.

^Colorado is a whole lot diferent than Vermont!

If I was in Co, I'd get a 450. But in Vermont, no doubt, I'd go 250. With bikes, it's always better to go a little too small than too big. Besides buying a dirtbike isn't a lifetime commitment. You can always get that 450 later if you want.

I've never gotten to ride a legit bike (over 100cc) below 9,000ft... I'd kill to actually ride my 250 2t at sea level and feel it's real power just one time. I bet it would woop my little 5'4" girl ass across the country.

what is the terrain like where you ride? Im assuming somewhat rocky?

where I am I' just sort of on the edge of ontario, partially into the canadian shield, and my buddies and I find 250's are better trail bikes.

we do dunes, clay, mud, shale, sawdust believe it or not, and some of the stuff were into is all flatrock and clay.

on a 450 throttle control or not theres extra weight and the extra torque just turns into numerous tire changes, and lowsides every season.

if this is your first big bike id go 250.

Get the 4-nasty better to have more power then not enough just have to use it as needed. The weight difference isn't really a big deal in my opinion considering the type of riding your doing. Unless you plan on carrying, pulling or pushing your bike everywhere

The weight difference isn't really a big deal in my opinion considering the type of riding your doing. Unless you plan on carrying, pulling or pushing your bike everywhere

So if you get a honda definately get the 250.

I personally would get a 250 smoker, but for your choices I'd choose a 450. I used to trail ride a 250f and thought the low-end power was too anemic for any of the more challenging trails. Throw in some hills, and the bigger bikes look even better.

450x or wr 450. good for hills and fire roads and trails and everything else you want. You can get a pretty good deal on an 09 honda 450x right now. The great news is though, if you do decide on a 250, there are lots of mods you can do if you need more power.