homemade MCCT

I seen a thread on another forum about a guy making an MCCT out of his ACCT...any way what im asking is couldnt you take it out, take it apart, thread the whole housing all the way through, get a longer case hardened or grade 8 bolt, grind down the end of it to make it rounded where it would contact the cam chain add a jam nut for adjustment throw an o ring on it and be good to go?

anything can be done...i find this logic to be odd, considering cost,time invested in your bike, and price you paid for your bike,potential damage,,buying an mcct for 50 bucks is nothing. i just find this odd. thats my 2 cents..ebayollis i find your avatar ftting for this post ? j/k

i would say yes. give it a try if your cool with the down time you'll have if it doesnt work and you do have to buy one.

dvirgil, for me anyways, making things like this is gratifying and it almost feels like a defeat of sorts when you have to break down and buy something someone else built. and yes, there have been plenty of times where time and money involved in making a part exceeded what you would have spent buying it, but in the end, you made it, its yours, and you have the skills to do it again any time. i'm a stubborn DIY'er lol.

There are 2 styles of OEM tensioners. Both can be modified to work as manual. I have done the older "clock spring" style. There are various ways to do it depending on what resources you have available. The thing to watch for in your design is that it does not become too long and interfere with the oil separator box. With a lathe I can make most anything I want.

i would agree at just buying one,here they are £20......peanuts.

why bother risking(as said above)and spending all that time for a few quid.

im always up for modding/making/fabricating but this is a no brainer

i would agree at just buying one,here they are £20......peanuts.

why bother risking(as said above)and spending all that time for a few quid.

im always up for modding/making/fabricating but this is a no brainer

+1 plus supporting manufacturers that produce these parts for future mods etc..?

Unless you have a lathe or other appropriate tools, you might as well buy one. "Should work" isn't worth possibly grenading your top-end to save a few bucks. It's one of the cheapest preventative gadgets you can get for a DRZ. 50 bukcs... done. ?

ok ok, all you "just buy oner's" inspired me.

went to the hardware store, bought a m12x1.25 bolt, nut and aluminum washer. also needed the tap.

HPIM1314.jpg

tapped out the body of the ACCT

HPIM1316.jpg

HPIM1319.jpg

drilled out the washer since they didnt have one that fit exact and rounded the end of the bolt to match the OEM plunger tip.

HPIM1320.jpg

HPIM1321.jpg

assembled home made MCCT

HPIM1322.jpg

installed home made MCCT TOTAL COST==== $15.03 (tax included)

HPIM1324.jpg

no lathe required, i used a grinder, a drill, and a tap. Now i have 35 bucks to spend on other things:p

nice work, o-ring might be needed if it leaks up the shaft,,see it took us pushing for u to finally do it, and save your cam chain, i think you owe us that 35... ?

well, if for some reason you are in durhamtown this coming weekend, i'll pay for a day of your riding, best i can do:ride:

I used a lathe and turned down a grade 8 jack bolt...sure its 1/2'" and not metric but it was free form my supervisor at work and i threaded the housing...should last as long as i have the drz...?

is something going to wear out? short of being anodized and shaped a little different, its the same thing everyone pays $50 bucks for: a bolt that puts a little pressure on a guide...

I don't know that's why I would like to see how it holds up...I paid for my TT mcct & when I took out the spring from the factory one I wondered if I could make one myself but I already the TT version. I'm all for DIY that was the basis of my statement,not a negative i wanna see what bad happens type of deal..