crashed

What’s up people I had a dirt bike crash recently and need some advice. 2 weeks ago I crashed at Hollister hills SRVA California on one of the blue rated trails. I was riding with my usual riding buddy and a friend who is a lot better than both of us who we meet up with on a rare occasion. My friend Sergio who is a lot better than both of us on a CRF 450 was leading. My usual riding buddy Alan was behind him on his CRF 230 and I was last on a Kawi klx300r. I was going too fast for my ability to be able to keep up with them. As I was coming from a long stretch onto a turn on a trail I knew I was not going to be able to make the turn and it all happened so quick I ended up going over the bars but my foot got caught in between the foot peg and shift lever. So I ended up with a dislocated toe and 2 pins in my foot. Not a bad accident but I sucks to have a cast and crutches. So my wife never wants to ride again she rides a ttr-125. And she want me to not go back either. I enjoy riding but this part of the fun sucks. What I’m thinking is taking the summer off and focus on losing some weight since I am a big guy. 255 pounds and 5’ 7 and get in better shape to ride. I have been riding for about 9 months. And just needs to hear what other people think I should do.

sorry to hear about the crash. were you wearing boots?

i would get back on the bike for sure. you just need to not let peer pressure get to you and ride within your limits. my cousin always ends up getting hurt when he tries to keep up with me but he doesnt realize that i have way more experience than he does.

losing weight is a win win situation all the way around and a good idea for sure.

yes i was wearing my boots. I bought them off of ebay They are Thor Botos. but they are Atv/Quad Boots i Dont Know if that would make a difference. But yeah thanks for the advice`

sorry to hear about the crash. were you wearing boots?

i would get back on the bike for sure. you just need to not let peer pressure get to you and ride within your limits. my cousin always ends up getting hurt when he tries to keep up with me but he doesnt realize that i have way more experience than he does.

losing weight is a win win situation all the way around and a good idea for sure.

First off, I wouldn't give up on riding altogether if you truly enjoy it and are very passionate about the sport. Your wife should be understanding if that is indeed the case. Secondly, shedding some weight would be a positive thing to do for your health even if you weren't into riding. So, your plan sounds like a good one to me. Give yourself the appropriate amount of time to heal up properly and then concentrate on getting yourself into riding shape. Ultimately you will feel better when you are out there on the bike. Get well soon!

Ron

Thanks bro, she is understanding but she just doesnt like to see me hurt. Any good work out ideas? Prior to my crash i had droped 17 pounds on a 4 days a week gym plan and 1500 calorie diet. Any I deas on what i should focus on?

First off, I wouldn't give up on riding altogether if you truly enjoy it and are very passionate about the sport. Your wife should be understanding if that is indeed the case. Secondly, shedding some weight would be a positive thing to do for your health even if you weren't into riding. So, your plan sounds like a good one to me. Give yourself the appropriate amount of time to heal up properly and then concentrate on getting yourself into riding shape. Ultimately you will feel better when you are out there on the bike. Get well soon!

Ron

every thing these guys said is sound advice,as far as your wife goes give her a little time,ive had a couple pretty rough crashes in the last couple of years but my wife knows that if i cant ride i get depressed so she never leans on me to quite,though she is adament about me not riding again untill ihave doctors clearence

p-90X Is a great workout program but as anything that has to do with weight loss it requires lots of discipline..... good luck and remember, life is to short to sit on the sidelines and watch.

p-90X Is a great workout program but as anything that has to do with weight loss it requires lots of discipline..... good luck and remember, life is to short to sit on the sidelines and watch.

A couple of buddies of mine whipped themselves into incredible shape using the P-90X program along with good dietary habits. The past few months I have been using a Total Gym machine and it has helped me to lose weight and tone up quite a bit. Also, I feel as though it has made me more flexible for riding. Like everyone else that pushes it out there on a bike I crash too. I've just accepted the fact that it is part of the sport; at least when you ride like I do. :smirk:

To the starter of this thread I would say watch your intake of carbs that have a high glycemic index and drink lots of water. Take in plenty of protein and concentrate on a combination of resistance training and cardio exercise. Best of luck to you!

Well man, I was pretty much in your same exact position last year. Even had the same bike. I was riding a KLX 300 for about a year then crashed and fractured my ribs last July. While out by myself! The wife was unhappy to say the least. She doesn't ride but does understand my love for the sport. When I healed up I started riding as soon as I could but definitely taking it much easier. (only got about 3 rides before the winter) During the off-season I started training. Lost about 20lb so far, and I still have alot more to go. I also upgraded the bike to a kx250f set it up for the woods from engine to suspension. Now I don't consider myself to be a good rider yet but my riding ability from last year to this year is a huge improvement. I feel so much better on the bike, and just in general. Its a great feeling to be riding faster and more confident. Its an even better feeling to know that your healthier than you were a year ago.

Health wise my advise is to start out easy. The best thing to do while your injured is to start eating healthier. Don't try any insane diet plans, you know whats good and bad for you. Then when you heal up hit the gym. Start slow don't burn yourself out. Set realistic goals then push them a little farther when you meet them.

Now for the bike I highly recommend you play with the suspension if you haven't already. That bike is very lacking in suspension and it took me along time to get it dialed in. And it also seemed to work better for me once I picked up my pace a bit.

Anyway, thats my story. I still have along way to go until I call myself in shape or a good rider, but I'm very happy with the progress I've made so far. I hope it helps you out a bit. Everyone's different to figure out what works for you. So get well soon and keep riding!

Thanks every one! You guys are legit! I will not Quit Riding. I'am eating helathy Food. and got 2 more weeks with this cast. As soon as i can i will continue to hit the gym and get in better shape i might switch rid thogh im not sure yet

How do u like that 250F compared to the 300? power? speed

?

Well man, I was pretty much in your same exact position last year. Even had the same bike. I was riding a KLX 300 for about a year then crashed and fractured my ribs last July. While out by myself! The wife was unhappy to say the least. She doesn't ride but does understand my love for the sport. When I healed up I started riding as soon as I could but definitely taking it much easier. (only got about 3 rides before the winter) During the off-season I started training. Lost about 20lb so far, and I still have alot more to go. I also upgraded the bike to a kx250f set it up for the woods from engine to suspension. Now I don't consider myself to be a good rider yet but my riding ability from last year to this year is a huge improvement. I feel so much better on the bike, and just in general. Its a great feeling to be riding faster and more confident. Its an even better feeling to know that your healthier than you were a year ago.

Health wise my advise is to start out easy. The best thing to do while your injured is to start eating healthier. Don't try any insane diet plans, you know whats good and bad for you. Then when you heal up hit the gym. Start slow don't burn yourself out. Set realistic goals then push them a little farther when you meet them.

Now for the bike I highly recommend you play with the suspension if you haven't already. That bike is very lacking in suspension and it took me along time to get it dialed in. And it also seemed to work better for me once I picked up my pace a bit.

Anyway, thats my story. I still have along way to go until I call myself in shape or a good rider, but I'm very happy with the progress I've made so far. I hope it helps you out a bit. Everyone's different to figure out what works for you. So get well soon and keep riding!

I had a KLX300R last year. It was great for me to get into the full size bikes, then I went to a KTM300 2 stroker this year! From my comparison, the KLX was a tank compared to my light 2 stroke.

A 250F is going to feel much easier to throw around. A lighter bike feels just safer and easier to handle. That KLX was pretty wide and heavy from what I remember.

How do u like that 250F compared to the 300? power? speed

?

I went from a 98 KLX300 (which I still have and love) with the 350 kit to a 06 KX250F with a 290 kit. Both bikes are totally set-up for woods/hare scramble riding. The 250f is hands down an big upgrade. My first ride all could think was "wow thats what suspension feels like". At first I was a bit scared of the 250fs power. Its not as forgiving in the real rocky stuff and much easier to "whiskey throttle" where the klx was much more forgiving. I really do miss the low end of the klx. With the klx I can pretty much be in any gear just chugging away over rocks/uphill/whatever, and twist the throttle and take off. The 250f requires you to be on the gas in a higher rpm alot more. I also have a rekluse clutch on the 250f which is like a secret weapon for a newer rider.

I still love my klx and wont get rid of it anytime soon, but it just doesn't compare to the 250fs handling.

I will go at this a bit different.

Your first responsibility is to your wife and family. They're far more important than dirt bikin'. Being hurt, are you off work right now? Yes, getting into better shape is great and you should do that even if you weren't riding. But, you can still get hurt even in the best shape.

If you do get to ride again. Just ride at your level and have fun! There is no need to race around and get hurt again! Motorcycles are very dangerous. Folks get hurt everyday and even at times die riding them.

I love to ride. I also love to support my family. I can't do you on disability.

I ride Street bikes..I crashed my '03 Sportster in '05...was lucky no helment or jacket on.

Clean fracture on collar bone, road rash, and 25cm of well scalp gone from scalp and forehaead region.. was laid up for 6 weeks. Didn't think I would ever through my leg over a motored toy again.

Got the sportster fixed, road it bit spooked but it worked out. Since have traded the Sporty for a StreetGlide.

BUT

n '09 purchased a KFX450 , this yr taded it in on '11 KX250F ..

you can't let on accident stop your love. if you r going to ride scared of crashing and getting hurt then by all menas get rid of the bike.

If its a true passion that will go away, u will be mo carful riding and becme a smarter rider.

As for your wife not wanting you to get hurt , ..the point is no one want's to see you get hurt including yourself , but its part of the sport , you WILL fall here and there , its going to happen , but the severity and judgement calls on why you crash are your doing , if you knew you were riding over your head that was your first mistake , and that is what you have to control , as crashing you can't control , it will happen , but avoiding bad decisions is your responsibility, and you paid the price...lesson learned...

As far as riding goes , if you enjoy it , then dont give up , i have broken my back 3 times , and in 09 (look at my age) , i broke my neck and now have some cool parts that are titanium holding my head on and 3 vertebrae in place , and i broke my thumb a few weeks ago (non bike related) and i have been at the MX track 3 weeks in a row riding till they close for the day .......your wife will eventually calm down (she cares so that is why she worries) , and just be a little more careful in your judgement next time out , if you don't feel comfortable doing something , then don't do it ...simple as that , you have no need to impress anyone with your ambulance riding skills , just to be cool , ride at your ability and you will improve over time , and your friends will wait for you to catch up , and you will all get to the end of each day's ride!!