[[Template core/global/plugins/realFaviconGenerator does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]] Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

2006 differences between the X and R

Hey am new to the site and somewhat new to dirtbiking. I just picked up an 06' 450X not knowing what x and r meant and wish now that i had gotten the R.

Did i completely screw myself? are these bikes very different besides the headlight and elec start? cuz i dont want an enduro or something thats built specifically for pavement or boring trails. Are there big differences between the 2? mainly the suspension? and why does only the x have a dipstick? differnt engine? i know the x has wider range gears but its seems fine.

Is the x not able to handle jumps? suspension is definately stiffer hey?

Hey am new to the site and somewhat new to dirtbiking. I just picked up an 06' 450X not knowing what x and r meant and wish now that i had gotten the R.

Did i completely screw myself? are these bikes very different besides the headlight and elec start? cuz i dont want an enduro or something thats built specifically for pavement or boring trails. Are there big differences between the 2? mainly the suspension? and why does only the x have a dipstick? differnt engine? i know the x has wider range gears but its seems fine.

Is the x not able to handle jumps? suspension is definately stiffer hey?

I made a big ass list of comparisons on this and it's up in the stickies.:smirk:

The stock suspension is great if you're 165lbs. Since you are 190lbs, you should get the suspension customized for your weight and riding style. This will allow you to enjoy your bike greatly and should be your modification of priority coupled with re-jetting. As for track capabilities, the X certainly is capable but feels heavy and less maneuverable compared to the R while in the air. Thus, the X is not as elegant in jumping as the R. However, the X shines off-road as was intended; unlike the R.

The X is one of the premier off road bikes made. It also is a lot of fun on a track, but not competitive by mortals for racing MX.

The stock suspension is great if you're 165lbs. Since you are 190lbs, you should get the suspension customized for your weight and riding style. This will allow you to enjoy your bike greatly and should be your modification of priority coupled with re-jetting. As for track capabilities, the X certainly is capable but feels heavy and less maneuverable compared to the R while in the air. Thus, the X is not as elegant in jumping as the R. However, the X shines off-road as was intended; unlike the R.

Not intending to hijack the thread, but since you mentioned it...I have 2006 450X and is sprung for 250 lb rider. I am 200 lb and the PO tossed in the stock shock spring and fork springs. This bike is super firm, but I trail ride and it is not too fun after awhile...of course it never bottoms out!! But would I be better off with the stock susp, or should I tweak the 250 lb stuff...maybe there are springs in the middle somewhere?

Not intending to hijack the thread, but since you mentioned it...I have 2006 450X and is sprung for 250 lb rider. I am 200 lb and the PO tossed in the stock shock spring and fork springs. This bike is super firm, but I trail ride and it is not too fun after awhile...of course it never bottoms out!! But would I be better off with the stock susp, or should I tweak the 250 lb stuff...maybe there are springs in the middle somewhere?

Without knowing what spring rates you now have, it is difficult to make any recommendations. Set your race sag, and that will tell you everything you need to know about the rear spring being too much or too little. It's the only measurement that matters, in the end.

The rear spring should have some sort of markings: painted stripes, white lettering, stamped markings, etc, to indicate spring KG/in.

Stock is sprung for 165 or 185, depending on what springs came with your bike.

can u tune the stock suspension to jump just as well as the R?

Bringing this one back from the dead...but yes. I had my X suspension re-sprung and re-valved and I jump it (225lbs w/gear). I'll never win a MX race with it but I'll sure as hell have fun making laps on the track with the MX bikes