Engine temp

Ok so I instailled my Trail Tech and my JD jet kit at the same time. For comparisons sake, I wish I had the kit installed with the stock jetting. On my first true trail ride since the upgrades, during some single track stuff, my temp maxed out at 258. Any other time, it ran about 220 to 230. This seems extremely hot. What the heck? What is the max temp for this bike.

Anybody that has a Vapor and the JD jet kit have any data to share? Surely this cant be normal,... or is it? Whats normal for coolant right out of the engine?

There are a lot of factors that are at work here.

1) Are you using Engine Ice or other type coolant in your cooling system?

2) What was the temperature outside?

3) Was the single track really slow tight single track or were you going at a good pace? (subjective answer)

4) Do you leave your bike running while sitting still or do you turn it off and restart it like is suggested?

If its hot outside and you are running single track and its 90F outside, you can easily see see temps in the 230F range. I run Engine Ice and I see temps around 250F sometimes when I'm lugging for a long time. If you are running at a good speed, you temps will stay around the 210 range or so...but its dependent on so many factors. The best thing you can do is know what coolant you are running and watch your temp to make sure you don't go over its boiling point. I'm sure you've been running this hot all the time, you just didn't know it.

Thanks for the answer. I was REALLY hoping for this answer or something close.

1. I use the regular stock Honda coolant with some Prestone to top off. No surfactant additive (yet).

2.It was about 85 most of the day.

3. When it hit 258 (I was watching at that point) I was doing very slow rocky decents with steep rocky climbs with lots of wheel spin. I was trying to take a short cut to get to some faster trails to get the temps down. I did also just add a case guard that had some mud packed in it and Flatlander rad guards that probably block some air. I'm sure that didn't help.

4. No, if I was stopped or in a super slow section, I'd shut it off once I got up into the 230-240s and let it get down to 200-215 or so.

There is some highway in the middle of my trails and I'd go about 25mph to get the temps down. After about 1/2 mile I'd get back to 180 which is what I'd say is normal.

I'm loving this Vapor, but seeing 230-250 as frequently as I did was a bit unnerving. Those that use the rad strips and see 170s, I can only imagine what that would equate to in coolant temp from the engine. It could be a 50 degree difference.

Thanks again for the reply, I'm going out again next weekend so I'll keep an eye on it.

There are a lot of factors that are at work here.

1) Are you using Engine Ice or other type coolant in your cooling system?

2) What was the temperature outside?

3) Was the single track really slow tight single track or were you going at a good pace? (subjective answer)

4) Do you leave your bike running while sitting still or do you turn it off and restart it like is suggested?

If its hot outside and you are running single track and its 90F outside, you can easily see see temps in the 230F range. I run Engine Ice and I see temps around 250F sometimes when I'm lugging for a long time. If you are running at a good speed, you temps will stay around the 210 range or so...but its dependent on so many factors. The best thing you can do is know what coolant you are running and watch your temp to make sure you don't go over its boiling point. I'm sure you've been running this hot all the time, you just didn't know it.

The temperature swings you are seeing are absolutely normal. I boiled over last year and didn't know it until my 7 year nephew pointed to the "bubbling" in the overflow. I then installed a temp gauge to be able to watch my bike temperature instead of being suprised after a boil over. I was amazed how hot the bike can get while running tight single track and shutting the bike off during stops goes a long way in keeping the temp under control. Now, as you do, I almost worry about it too much now that I can see the temperature in real time. Now that you know its normal, maybe you won't stress about it as much.

I would advise switching over to Engine Ice...you'll get up to about 257F before boil overs which will help you greatly. Make sure to rinse the system out with vinegar, etc per procedure to neutralize your current coolant.

You could always add on the electric fan too if you are super paranoid about over heating but that little fan is expensive...not to mention out there prone to damage.

Well, I took a tumble yesterday without body protection so I'll be ordering some today. I'll just add the Engine Ice onto the tab. :smirk:

Thanks again for the reply. I think you've answered every single one of my questions since joining TT. I appreciate your time and knowledge.

The temperature swings you are seeing are absolutely normal. I boiled over last year and didn't know it until my 7 year nephew pointed to the "bubbling" in the overflow. I then installed a temp gauge to be able to watch my bike temperature instead of being suprised after a boil over. I was amazed how hot the bike can get while running tight single track and shutting the bike off during stops goes a long way in keeping the temp under control. Now, as you do, I almost worry about it too much now that I can see the temperature in real time. Now that you know its normal, maybe you won't stress about it as much.

I would advise switching over to Engine Ice...you'll get up to about 257F before boil overs which will help you greatly. Make sure to rinse the system out with vinegar, etc per procedure to neutralize your current coolant.

You could always add on the electric fan too if you are super paranoid about over heating but that little fan is expensive...not to mention out there prone to damage.

Mines usually at 130F ish but thats open road when I got into the woods today and got in slimy mud and had to slow down it was at about 190F ish I have my temp going up the hose that leads to the top of the left side radiator.

Mines usually at 130F ish but thats open road when I got into the woods today and got in slimy mud and had to slow down it was at about 190F ish I have my temp going up the hose that leads to the top of the left side radiator.

This is right around what i'm seeing on the open road with the senser on the hose on the left side of the bike which would be the coolent returning to the radiator. even in the tight stuff i haven't seen over 200 yet. althought its only been in the low 70's at the highest.

We installed the temp sensor on the left side of the engine (before the coolant is sent to the radiator). The orange coolant warning light lit briefly when running very slowly through mud (the bike was carrying 10+ lbs of mud and was covered in it) and the highest recorded temp was 252. The light is set to light at 240 degrees on our bike. My son experienced no boil over at all under these conditions. My KTM 450EXC would have been boiling over at this point.