Smart Performance Inc.

I just had my forks serviced and revalved by Dave at Smart Performance Inc. I got their Phase 4 kit with their fancy VM2 fluid. I just had my first ride on them today and man, what an improvement! For the first few miles I was worried because the forks felt so plush and with stock WR forks plush = easy bottoming so I was just waiting for that hard hit and clunk. It never came. The forks gobbled up every rock, root and breaking bump I could throw at it 10x better than the stock stuff. The riding I was doing was a lot of second and third with plenty of rocks and roots, but the real bottoming test will come next weekend as I am heading to a more desert like area that will have lots of fourth and fifth gear riding with plenty of whoops. I will be sure to post my thoughts after the long weekend of hard riding. My only complaint with Smart Performance it that Dave was a little hard to get a hold of for the first few weeks and was not as prompt at returning emails and phone calls/texts as I would have liked. He also had my forks for 3ish weeks which seems a bit long to me (I was hoping for a 1 week turn around, 2 at the most). At the end though his communication improved vastly and I want to give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he was unusually busy for the first few weeks. Also, since I only had my forks done, my shock stands out like a sore thumb in comparison. Need to start saving to get their revalve on the rear end now.

All in all I am very pleased with the work Dave at SPI did for me. I can't wait to get a few more rides in with it so I can start to fine tune it with Dave assistance. :smirk:

Hope this helps someone who is looking for suspension work.

The work on the shock is almost as big a deal as the fork is. The improvement in the stability of the rear end is so great that it translates into a more settled front end, one that no longer tries to dig and tuck under on the faces of soft whoops and silt holes. You'll like it.

Three weeks isn't too bad for a shop as busy as that, I don't think, especially when you take out the time the stuff was in transit. And if another company has already revalved the bike, a lot of unforseen problems can arise.

Worth the wait, though, wouldn't you say?

I have an 07 WR450 and I bought the full Phase 4 setup for my bike. I did a self install and havent really got to test the bike other than laps around my block, it does feel way different/better.

as for service and not getting back to you woods rider....he was probably on the phone with me! helping me through the self build. he was stellar with me answering and returning calls. If you do a self install....do yourself a huge favor and read all the documents before hand and do each thing step by step...dont try and skip ahead or think you know what to do next. it was slightly challengin and a whole lot of fun for me!

The work on the shock is almost as big a deal as the fork is. The improvement in the stability of the rear end is so great that it translates into a more settled front end, one that no longer tries to dig and tuck under on the faces of soft whoops and silt holes. You'll like it.

Three weeks isn't too bad for a shop as busy as that, I don't think, especially when you take out the time the stuff was in transit. And if another company has already revalved the bike, a lot of unforseen problems can arise.

Worth the wait, though, wouldn't you say?

Damn stems:smirk:

It was well worth the wait, especially since two of those weeks I was out of the country (which is the main reason I decided to have SPI do the work). I have heard great things about the customer service Dave provides And I assume the support I got the last week is what is typical of him as it was great!

Shock will be next for sure and I will most likely do that install myself unless it happens to coencide with another long business trip.

What is seems to me is that Dave tends to respond faster on support of live issues, like installation, setup, etc. rather than the "when will my order ship" type of questions, which is understandable. He has been very responsive and helpful to me in my installation and knows his stuff obviously. Just got off the phone with him a little while ago. I don't know how he does it. Not many other companies are that fast in technical support.

This is good to hear since setup/tuning is the stage I am at.

Man, I can't wait to get out for the long weekend and really put them to the test and start playing with the clickers (if needed) and get my opinions to Dave to see what suggestions he has.

Sorry for the delayed report from the weekend ride. I just got out of the hospital yesterday from emergency surgery due to a ruptured spleen from a crash on Saturday. That is another story, but to sum it up I was riding a buddies bike that had not been ridden in a long time and was way out of tune. I found out the rear brake didn't work the hard way while in 4th gear.

6b458ac6.jpg

I only got a half day on my bike and didn't hit many whooped out trails (a lot of work had been done on the northern trails recently and they were in pretty good shape). From the riding I got in I was very happy with the forks. Again I was waiting for them to bottom at the higher speeds, but it never happened. They absorbed square edged bumps excellently and deflections off rocks were almost non existent.

Six weeks until I can get back on a bike, but that is where I will be as soon as the Doc says I can.