Sign in to follow this  

Don't know what Im looking for?

Well ok here is my situation, I am coming off a 1998 cr250r great bike tons of power but I am getting started into motocross and the suspension is out of date and I am not statisfied so Idk what Im looking for to be honest:bonk:. Here is what I have figured out for sure, I am wanting a 4t, this is what I don't know about. I don't know if I should get a 450f or a 250f? I am going to be flat out honest with you all I am going to have $2500 MAX and I have been looking at the 450f's and the money that I would have to spend, I could have a newer model 250f or a early 450f. So my main concern with the 250f is would I be satsified with the power coming off a cr250r? I am totally stuck on this one. Also the brands I hace been looking at is crf's,kxf's,rmz's, and some yzf's. So I have told you my situation, how reliable are the 250f's I have heard they eat the valves like no other I don't know if this is true or not, so I figured I would ask you all, also I found a really good deal on a 2006 crf250r original owner and everything stock are these bikes good or bad? Sorry for the long type just needing some thoughts any advice would be greatly apperciated.

Height; 5'9

Weight;187lbs

Age; 16

Thanks for all replies:ride:

Well, here is my opinion so take it with a grain of salt..

I personally think you would excel on the 250f vs the 450f. I haven't ridden either 250 two stroke, nor a 250f, but from what I have read/seen at the track, the 250f wont hit as hard as the cr250, but it will have a more useable powerband.

I mean I think in amature racing, especially at your age/weight/height, there really is no need to get a 450....I mean I don't know, I'm a believe in the 90 percent rider 10 percent bike thing, and I think you can definitely be competitive on 250f, since it will be a bit lighter, and more manageable.

Again, my opinion, I would go with a solid year/brand 250f, throw all your money into the suspension on it and just see what you can do with it.

:thumbsup:Yeah, as equal to a 2T, 250 for the ability range, your probably easier but just wont know, yet with the 250f. The bigger bore is going to take a bit getting use too, I came from a 450, and now am riding a KDX, an having a blast.

I would get the suspension on the cr250 re-valved for your weight and style and race!

Well, here is my opinion so take it with a grain of salt..

I personally think you would excel on the 250f vs the 450f. I haven't ridden either 250 two stroke, nor a 250f, but from what I have read/seen at the track, the 250f wont hit as hard as the cr250, but it will have a more useable powerband.

I mean I think in amature racing, especially at your age/weight/height, there really is no need to get a 450....I mean I don't know, I'm a believe in the 90 percent rider 10 percent bike thing, and I think you can definitely be competitive on 250f, since it will be a bit lighter, and more manageable.

Again, my opinion, I would go with a solid year/brand 250f, throw all your money into the suspension on it and just see what you can do with it.

for sure, two weeks ago i took 8th overall at my local track in open c on a 95 cr250. I hope your mechanically inclined if you plan on gettin a 250f.

No two stroke please, I cleary stated that I wanted a four stroke. Im not trying to be rude or anything, I really like the 2t but I want something else.

then defiently get a 450 if your coming from a 250 2t.

and there all really similar, but id choose the yz450f or crf450r

I would get the suspension on the cr250 re-valved for your weight and style and race!

There is nothing wrong with the suspension on a 98 cr as long as it's valved and sprung for your weight. The cr is going to teach you better skills than any 250f....

If you ride a 250 2t to its potential right now, no way will you be happy with the 250 four stroke. Unfortunately for your $2500 budget, I think you are going to be hard pressed to find anything newer than a 2006 450 4t. And a 5 year old bike might be well used by the time you get your hands on it (but you might get lucky as there are some that are bought and not raced). The older 450 4t motocrossers are also mainly 4 speed transmissions, which I just cant tolerate (but I am a trail rider).

I have no experience with the 250 4 stroke motorcrossers (just the WR250F), but there seem to be lots and lots of stories and common thinking that those things get beat on and are ticking time bombs for a major engine repair.

Given your parameters I think is why people are prodding you about staying with the 250 two stroke. Seems like your other choice might be to increase your budget to get a newer 450 4t (I think you are looking at about $3000-$3500 for an '07-'08 450 with low usage) or you may have to spend quite a bit of time looking for a bargain older 450 4t with low hours (but you will still be stuck with the 4 speed trans).