Sign in to follow this  

Motocross Short?

what happened to shorty? it looked like his motor was letting go in the first moto. did he even compete in the second? i don't remember seeing him.

His motor failed, but no specifics anywhere on the net. KTM may be keeping a cap on releasing anything.

Yeah I saw a little smoke in the first moto but second moto it was blowing a lot of smoke coming up the whoops. Smelled like coolant the second time but the first time smelled like oil.

guess they may have hit the point where that motor is built PAST the ragged edge? it looked as though shorty was pulling away from millsaps in some of the up-hill sections just before his motor started smoking in moto 1. i guess it is time to dial it back a notch or two so it atleast has something along the lines of a 2 hour life span like the reported pro-circuit Kawi 250Fs do.:smirk:

If Alessi is out even for a few weeks, put Shorty on his 450

+1. If Alessi has had the most time on the 350 with less than expected results, and then decided to get back on a 450, why wouldn't Short do the same??

sales!! money!!!! but now its a catch 22, move him up to a 450 and admit defeet or keep him on and show the bike cant hold up under pro abuse. i spoke to alessi in atlanta and there was no doubt he wanted on a 450.

It was early on in both races that I first saw smoke out of the KTM but it was not the only bike that was blowing smoke and had to get off the track. I watched a Yamaha coming up the whoops blowing tons of smoke out of the motor and the guy pulled off going back down the hill, shaking his head. I didn't see any damage like he busted a radiator from hitting anyone so not sure what happened. It was a tough track on riders and bikes.

Does it really do any good for KTM sales to blow up 350's trying to run with the 450's? Take the 350 GNCC and enduro racing, and run the 450 in SX and MX.

guess they may have hit the point where that motor is built PAST the ragged edge? it looked as though shorty was pulling away from millsaps in some of the up-hill sections just before his motor started smoking in moto 1. i guess it is time to dial it back a notch or two so it atleast has something along the lines of a 2 hour life span like the reported pro-circuit Kawi 250Fs do.:smirk:

Oh I know, I bet those Pro Circuit Kawis would make you piss your pants.

All the factory caliber bikes only need to have a lifespan of 2.5 hours. Between practices and the two motos the bikes are run for slightly less than 2.5 hours then completely rebuilt before the next weekends race. Most of those bikes are built for maximum performance not just the 350. Also, I believe winning races has little to do with sales. For me at least.

All the factory caliber bikes only need to have a lifespan of 2.5 hours. Between practices and the two motos the bikes are run for slightly less than 2.5 hours then completely rebuilt before the next weekends race. Most of those bikes are built for maximum performance not just the 350. Also, I believe winning races has little to do with sales. For me at least.

I agree, a winning manufacturer is not going to blindly inspire me to buy a new bike of theirs. However, a manufacturer/factory team that DNF's due to a mechanical several times a season will give me some pause. The 350 already had some problems during the SX season and now it's blown up in MX.

I've never ridden a KTM 350 but it seems like it could be a great bike for the amateur weekend warrior. KTM needs to market it that way & run the 450 for the AMA National

all of the colors of bikes have had issues in both SX and MX..... not just the orange one...... windham had a mechanical issue this weekend, but guys keep buying hondas (though they are widely known as valve munchers and have been so since it's inception).

winning a title with a certain color will not make me want that color just because of the title....... nor will one built to the nuts from the factory that blows up make me "blindly" shy away from a color either. i think "most" guys realize that a factory built motor is a far cry from one off the showroom floor....... save for the cases and displacement.

KTM just needs to stop with the 350 in pro MX. The enduro guys are going to buy it and it will be as common as every other KTM you see at an enduro. Backing out now won't change that fact.

Shorty had the 350 wound up like Barcia does. Only difference was he doesn't do it out of habbit, he does it to maintain the power. 350 is a great bike for off-road I'm sure, but again I am shaking my head they run it in the Nationals. It did good until the motor blew chunks......twice!

I think a majority of KTM's problem is the quality of riders. Maybe they should throw Bubbles a bone, at least he can push a bike like no other. Whether he finishes or not doesn't matter to me. If KTM wanted to be viable in the SX/MX game, they would get riders who have a chance to be champions or at least consistent podiums. Obviously mechanical break downs don't get anyone anywhere, but I am sure they will get that worked out.

the 350 is a bust for SX/MX, pull the 450 out and get some points on the board. The 450 is a much better bike, ride them back to back and you will agree. Hope Mike can come back and prove it!