Trailer setup. Works well for us.

I have looked at many many trailers on TT. Have used some of the ideas but many we came up with ourselves. Thought I would share some. My riding buddy Ron did most all the work here. I just did gave suggestions, and did some fine tuning.

7 x 14 size. Holds 4 bikes and all gear imaginable. Can get 2 more bikes in the p/u and as much more gear as we need in the trailer.

This is the front bin section. You can see one of the bike-shoes on the floor. In front of the bike shoe is the 12v battery. The battery charger sits above it as well as the inverter than runs the lights and outlets when changing from shore to battery power. The fuse box is in the upper left. There are outlets in all 4 roof corners. And florescent lights you will see in the other pictures. On the bottom right next to the door, under the small wood platform sits the small portable generator. We stick that outside when running it.

trailer01.jpg

In the right corner, is a ramp (for p/u loading) and behind that a pop-up tent.

yhst-6122587476031_2155_160026216

Along the side you see the platform boards in their storage position. Hooked onto the e-track on the walls. there are 2 more on the other side. They can be used up high for storage, or down at the lower e-track level for sleeping. Or along the sides for dressing undressing and gear when riding.

trailer02.jpg

Here we have 2 of the 4 sections across the trailer for storage (or sleeping with air mattresses).

trailer03.jpg

Here are the sections loaded with gear. You can see there are 3 of the 4 sections up now. And 3 bikes loaded. The 4th shoe goes behind the front bike and installs in seconds with a drill to nuts welded to the frame underneath.

trailer04.jpg

Here are the two boards that fit in the front and rear of the gear when loaded up.

trailer05.jpg

Plenty of room for rolling tool boxes and coolers on the floor in the back.

And there are more shelf sections that can be put up that bring the upper level almost to the back of the e-track.

trailer06.jpg

When we get to the ride site, the trailer converts into a "dressing room" so that all dirty gear can stay out of the cabins. Here the shelves convert into places to set helmets, packs, pads, etc.

trailer07.jpg

Also have several hanging or drying areas for jackets or wet gear.

trailer08.jpg

One shelf goes on some boxes on the opposite side for a sitting bench. And more gear hanging areas. And usually a sports chair or two to sit on in addition to the bench.

trailer09.jpg

trailer10.jpg

Here is the pin setup and pin storage for the drying rack mounts so we do not lose the pins.

trailer11.jpg

Don't have a picture of the whole thing set up when riding but for night time bike repair, there is still room to get a bike in between the shelves on each side if work needs to be done. Or for spare bike storage during the day when we are out riding.

For heat, we use a sun-twin type infrared heater. No carbon monoxide or noxious fumes. Along with a couple small fans put in strategic places it will keep us plenty warm, or dry out wet gear overnight.gen_3_suntwin.jpg

All the gear goes up high and the heavier tools down on the floor when traveling. We have been hauling this trailer a few thousand miles a year for about 9 years now and have not had any problems with weight distribution.

Hope this gives some of you some ideas since we have been taking some ideas from others of you.

Edited by scott_01_xr400
added pic

Looks very well thought out.:smirk:

Also + one on the infrared heater.

You've got tons of thought, planning and work into setting that trailer up, amazing what you can do with just a 7x14 template, and how versatile it can be.

Nice use of the E-track. One thing I would add is a cargo net across the front shelves since you don't have cabinets. This way stuff stays on the shelf. I'm going to take a wild guess that someplace like Flying J or TA would sell them? CH can probably chime in, if not somebody's got to sell them online.

I am so jealous, my trailer doesn't even have a roof, forget shelves, lights or electricity.

Nice use of the E-track. One thing I would add is a cargo net across the front shelves since you don't have cabinets. This way stuff stays on the shelf. I'm going to take a wild guess that someplace like Flying J or TA would sell them? CH can probably chime in, if not somebody's got to sell them online.

I am so jealous, my trailer doesn't even have a roof, forget shelves, lights or electricity.

He's got boards front and rear in the pics.

If not, I'd just slap in a small section of E-track or some tie down rings and stretch a strap across there.

For my trailer goodies, I go here, both for professional and non-work related trailer furnishings.

http://www.uscargocontrol.com/

cargo nets http://www.uscargocontrol.com/Van-Trailer-Products/Cargo-Net

Very nice setup! Thanks for sharing. You have some good ideas I didn't think of.

The heavy duty style is the one I'm thinking of. You could climb on those things when they're taught and it feels like a steel cable.

One thing I would add is a cargo net across the front shelves since you don't have cabinets. This way stuff stays on the shelf.

I am guessing that you are meaning the shelves in the front of the trailer. they are actually angled so that the bins slide down into them. not much, maybe 15 degrees. you can kind of see it on the top shelf. It 8 or so years, none of the front bins have ever come out accidentally.

Impressive, sounds like you've thought of everything.

Very nice job :smirk:

I have looked at many many trailers on TT. Have used some of the ideas but many we came up with ourselves. Thought I would share some. My riding buddy Ron did most all the work here. I just did gave suggestions, and did some fine tuning.

7 x 14 size. Holds 4 bikes and all gear imaginable. Can get 2 more bikes in the p/u and as much more gear as we need in the trailer.

This is the front bin section. You can see one of the bike-shoes on the floor. In front of the bike shoe is the 12v battery. The battery charger sits above it as well as the inverter than runs the lights and outlets when changing from shore to battery power. The fuse box is in the upper left. There are outlets in all 4 roof corners. And florescent lights you will see in the other pictures. On the bottom right next to the door, under the small wood platform sits the small portable generator. We stick that outside when running it.

trailer01.jpg

In the right corner, is a ramp (for p/u loading) and behind that a pop-up tent.

yhst-6122587476031_2155_160026216

Along the side you see the platform boards in their storage position. Hooked onto the e-track on the walls. there are 2 more on the other side. They can be used up high for storage, or down at the lower e-track level for sleeping. Or along the sides for dressing undressing and gear when riding.

trailer02.jpg

Here we have 2 of the 4 sections across the trailer for storage (or sleeping with air mattresses).

trailer03.jpg

Here are the sections loaded with gear. You can see there are 3 of the 4 sections up now. And 3 bikes loaded. The 4th shoe goes behind the front bike and installs in seconds with a drill to nuts welded to the frame underneath.

trailer04.jpg

Here are the two boards that fit in the front and rear of the gear when loaded up.

trailer05.jpg

Plenty of room for rolling tool boxes and coolers on the floor in the back.

And there are more shelf sections that can be put up that bring the upper level almost to the back of the e-track.

trailer06.jpg

When we get to the ride site, the trailer converts into a "dressing room" so that all dirty gear can stay out of the cabins. Here the shelves convert into places to set helmets, packs, pads, etc.

trailer07.jpg

Also have several hanging or drying areas for jackets or wet gear.

trailer08.jpg

One shelf goes on some boxes on the opposite side for a sitting bench. And more gear hanging areas. And usually a sports chair or two to sit on in addition to the bench.

trailer09.jpg

trailer10.jpg

Here is the pin setup and pin storage for the drying rack mounts so we do not lose the pins.

trailer11.jpg

Don't have a picture of the whole thing set up when riding but for night time bike repair, there is still room to get a bike in between the shelves on each side if work needs to be done. Or for spare bike storage during the day when we are out riding.

For heat, we use a sun-twin type infrared heater. No carbon monoxide or noxious fumes. Along with a couple small fans put in strategic places it will keep us plenty warm, or dry out wet gear overnight.gen_3_suntwin.jpg

All the gear goes up high and the heavier tools down on the floor when traveling. We have been hauling this trailer a few thousand miles a year for about 9 years now and have not had any problems with weight distribution.

Hope this gives some of you some ideas since we have been taking some ideas from others of you.

just curious how big of a generator do you use for that ele heater? i am thinking of doing the same thing but putting in a 6 ft basboard heater 750 watts to 1500 watts.

not sure if we have run the generator with the heater. think the heater is 1500w. think the generator is 2500-3000w. Usually if it is cold enough to use the heater, we have electricity.

Where the heater gets used the most is when we are riding in the mountains, staying in a cabin, and running the heater in the trailer at night with several fans to keep air moving to dry out all our wet gear.

now trying to figure out how to rig up a boot and helmet dryer configuration. Need some kind of blower motor that it not real loud but moves a fair amount of air.

now trying to figure out how to rig up a boot and helmet dryer configuration. Need some kind of blower motor that it not real loud but moves a fair amount of air.

A computer case fan should work, they're 12v so you can run them off of a battery and they come in different sizes and cfm, check out your local computer store for options, or you can go to newegg.com for a huge selection and get an idea what is really available.

A computer case fan should work, .

I have seen those. have a couple in my computer now. Do those really move enough air to dry a couple pair of boots ?

well....

The speed of the fan, GENERALLY means more air flow & more noise, size matters :ride:, so here are some (loose) specs (max cfm for fans)

a 60mm fan will move around 27 cfm (max)

80mm +/- 30 cfm

90mm +/- 45 cfm

120mm +/- 60 cfm

All these specs are for fans I looked up real quick on Newegg.com and cost less than $10.

Again size matters, a 120mm fan might be a bit big for your needs, so go to radio shack or something and check out the fans.

what kind of wheel shoes do you have i am shopping for some and wondering if you like the ones you have? what brand etc...

ps love the trailer set up! hope mine looks that good someday

You can get the 12v or 120v fans at Radio Shack. You can also make a PVC tree that has holes you've drilled in it and your boots and gloves hang on the limbs. You take the fan and dryer duct and make it taper to the tree. That way you have air blowing into the gear and not on it or wasted air. Popular with hockey equip. I'll be building the tree but will have it enclosed with exhaust outside since we'll be sleeping inside and my Tech8's and my son's don't smell the best after a hot day or rainy one.