I exploded a clutch plate

Clutch (aftermarket -- installed last fall...the stock one lasted since new) went out on my '06 250F a couple weekends ago.

When I took it apart, the next to last fiber was broken (but all the pieces were there). The last fiber was basically disintegrated. A few chunks were left in the basket, and I was able to fish a few more out from inside the left engine cover. In all, I probably found all but two or three of the "teeth" that grab the outer basket, but the rest of the plate (along with the other teeth) is gone, either ground up or laying in my bottom end somewhere.

I pulled the valve cover and couldn't see any aluminum flakes or pieces in the head.

Anyone have this problem? Should I flush it out and move on, or should I split the cases? If I can find the remaining few teeth, should I just put it back together?

The valves are wearing like crazy now, and the head is due for new valves and cut seats. I also have a new Rekluse to install. With the new stuff, I want to make sure I put this thing back together right.

Ouch!! That's a tough one. I would split the cas and get everything out. Too much at risk throwing all that work and parts at it and a bearing goes because of some debris left behind. Even if you do open it up and nothing is in there you'll still have the peace of mind that it's not a ticking time bomb.

Ouch!! That's a tough one. I would split the cas and get everything out. Too much at risk throwing all that work and parts at it and a bearing goes because of some debris left behind. Even if you do open it up and nothing is in there you'll still have the peace of mind that it's not a ticking time bomb.

I think you're right. Since it's a 2006, I'm leaning toward replacing the crank and crank bearings as well. What do you think?

I'm on the second piston. I put in a HC piston back in late 2007. Maybe time for a new one of those, as well?

That has happened to me. The clutch pieces will end up in the sump below the oil pump intake screen. You can not get them out without splitting the cases. The way the motor is designe it is very diffcult for the pieces to get near the crank or the piston. I can not comment if the pieces can be sucked up to the screen and block the oil intake they cannot get passed the oil screen and ito the pump. My experence is when I broke my plate I left it in the motor for quite a long time with no effect, but finally split the cases for another reason and removed the pieces then. The only observation that I did make is that after the plate broke my oil was blacker when I drained it. But as I said all the pieces were in the sump below the oil pump screen.

Thanks, Rockyracer. I've come across similar experiences like yours. It sounds like a somewhat reasonable gamble letting this ride, especially after a flush, but as Swede73 said, it would suck to install the new clutch and rebuilt head then have the tranny lock up two rides later.

Any major issues with splitting the cases on this bike, or is it a straightforward affair?

Iv had this same problem 18months ago with the same year bike....3 friction plates totally disintegrated and a couple others fractured after 5 hour enduro!!

From my experience id just split the bottom end strip everything out and put through a parts washer.

I left mine for a couple of rides and did oil change every ride....the oil had a black metalic look to it,stripped everything and you'd be surprised how much alloy was in the bottom end and some was shredded so finely it picked up on the topend and made a lining under the cam caps and were the buckets sit so had quite a bit of filing out to do....probably work out cheaper to do now rather than later if any damage occurs:lol:

Clutch (aftermarket -- installed last fall...the stock one lasted since new) went out on my '06 250F a couple weekends ago.

Please don't tell me it was the Tusk brand plates. This is the first time I am going to use an aftermarket clutch system (just steels,friction plates and springs) and if you want to PM me about the brand to save arguments, I understand. The PM box is open :smirk:.

Honestly, I don't remember what brand. I have sort of a good guess, but I don't want to add to the rumor mill. It was not Tusk, however. I'm sure of that.

Same thing happened to me on an 07 250f. Plate broke and two small pieces were missing. Split the cases and those two pieces were tucked away in the oil pickup area. I dont think they would have ever traveled out of there and were not going to block the oil flow. If to do again I wouldnt split the cases.... but I only say that after splitting them.