Clutch/comp release cable routing xr650r

Just got a 2001 and stripped it down and fixed all problems that I could find. Got it back together and was routing the cables, the clutch and comp release bind when handlebars are turned to 1 side. It actually pulls the comp release out of its holder on the engine. The service manual I have shows the cables routed in front of the triple trees and then through the holder on the frame. Don't know if the bars are stock but they appear to be. I could slide the perch closer to the steering stem to gain an inch but want to make sure they are routed correctly before trying other options. If someone has theirs apart and have a pic, that would be even more helpful.

Just got a 2001 and stripped it down and fixed all problems that I could find. Got it back together and was routing the cables, the clutch and comp release bind when handlebars are turned to 1 side. It actually pulls the comp release out of its holder on the engine. The service manual I have shows the cables routed in front of the triple trees and then through the holder on the frame. Don't know if the bars are stock but they appear to be. I could slide the perch closer to the steering stem to gain an inch but want to make sure they are routed correctly before trying other options. If someone has theirs apart and have a pic, that would be even more helpful.

Is this any help mate?

1-21.jpg

Its how mine is routed too.

Matt.

Thats how I have mine. Does yours go in front of the triple clamp. The picture makes it appear to go towards the front and then drop between the upper and lower and then through the wire loom. If this is correct, I will move my perch in some to get slack in the cable.

I just looked at mine, in front of the top triple, then through the loom. I run Windham tall bars and 2" risers with no binding.

Thanks for all the help. Will remove the tank and recheck my routing, looks like I know where it goes, just need to make sure that it goes there and that the tank isn't streching/catching it when I put it on.

Pulled the tank last night and everything is routed correctly. Moved the perch in about 1-1/2 inches, gave me all the slack I need. This also moved the release further in to keep me from inadvertently pulling it instead of the clutch.:smirk:

Pulled the tank last night and everything is routed correctly. Moved the perch in about 1-1/2 inches, gave me all the slack I need. This also moved the release further in to keep me from inadvertently pulling it instead of the clutch.:smirk:

My clutch perch is just in enough so as it doesnt hand out the end of the bars and works with the handguards if it helps :smirk: