2003 CR125 Rear Sprocket

Recently picked up 2003 CR125 with FMF SST and Shorty silencer. Currently has stock gearing 13/52. I ride almost 100% trail/woods with a lot of hills and tighter terrain.

I know I will never get a lot of low end , and am fine with that, just wondering if anyone has had a similar setup and moved up to a 53t or 54t rear sprocket?

I have searched and searched, and have seen the golden rule seems to be the 13/53, just wondering if I will feel the difference or if I should skip right to 54t for my riding.

Any input appreciated.

Recently picked up 2003 CR125 with FMF SST and Shorty silencer. Currently has stock gearing 13/52. I ride almost 100% trail/woods with a lot of hills and tighter terrain.

I know I will never get a lot of low end , and am fine with that, just wondering if anyone has had a similar setup and moved up to a 53t or 54t rear sprocket?

I have searched and searched, and have seen the golden rule seems to be the 13/53, just wondering if I will feel the difference or if I should skip right to 54t for my riding.

Any input appreciated.

I just put my 94 cr125 back to stock gearing because it has a 144 cc big bore kit on it. I know that Eric Gorr recommends the 53 tooth sprockets on the 125's. My 53 tooth that I took off of mine is an MSR ironman sprocket with no visible wear on it. I would sell it for real cheap (considering these ironman sprockets sell for over $100 new) if you are interested, PM me.

I have an '03 also and still haven't gotten the gearing right. I went 13/53 and it was still too high then 12/50 which was close but still not enough pull in slow corners in second gear (MX only). Now I am going to try a 51...

We are running 53's on both of our CR125's, but we do Supercross-style motocross tracks exclusively.

Thanks for the replies. Anyone have input from trail riding especially hilly terrain?

For those who went from 52t to 53t , was the difference noticeable? 53t sounds like the safe bet, just wondering if 54t would be better/more noticeable.

Anyone know if I would need to lengthen my chain or make any other mods to accomodate the 53t or 54t, or can it just be adjusted as normal tensioning in the rear?

Thanks Again

Cheaper to buy the 12t front sprocket and try that. It would be similar to a 13/55.

I use a 12/51 on a completely stock bike and it still needs to be in the pipe coming out of the corner.

I'm running a 13/53 and ride exclusively trails/woods on an 03 125. I wouldn't hesitate to go with the 54 if you're looking for a little more grunt especially if you ride a lot of hills. Like others said though, might be cheaper to just try a 12t front instead.

I have an '03 cr 125 and I switched from 13/52 to 13/50 and I love it!!! I wanted more pull up top and found it there. 13/52 had more hit down low so it just depends on what you like!!!

I have a 54 on the rear of my 02, and it does give it some more grunt espically when the Power band kicks in..