ideas for my daughters next bike

Hi, My 11 yr old daughter is 4'10" and 65 lbs. So tall and thin. She currently rides a KLX 110 which has been a great bike for her. Should get us through this summer. So looking ahead we have been looking at the KLX 140, her mom rides a 140L and she can almost touch with her tiptoes on it. So I think by next spring the 140 will fit fine height wise. Couple of thoughts I have on it:

-It's almost 50 lbs heavier, any way to lighten it a bit? Dealer suggested new pipe would save 5 lbs?

-Would want a clutch lever with a smaller throw on it. Stock is a long reach for her.

-Can a good tuner set the suspension for her weight? Or is the KX fork conversion and then a tune the way to go? Would that add or decrease weight?

-Thought about going the KX route for lighter weight and better suspension but I think it is too much bike given what we are doing which is mostly logging roads and some quad trails. Not really racing or track.

Appreciate any input or experiences you might have had with this type of situation.

Thanks Mike

For the ability to reach the levers better(if that makes since) ASV or similar levers provide an adjustable screw on the underside of the lever that brings the lever closer or farther from the bars plus they are very very strong...I have never broke one.

Before mod'ing a 140 I'd get a kx 85 and a 9oz flywheel weight. The suspension on the 85 can be lowered very easily by making the wish bone 3/8" longer. I did this for my son by useing two 1" x 1/4" thick flat steel. Just roll the coners round, drill the holes, change the bones out, raise the forks about 10mm and it's ready to ride...

So the flywheel weight lessened the hit off of the bottom end, the wishbone mod changed the height. If you don't mind me asking, how big was your son at the time, and what was his riding style. My daughter is not too aggressive. no issues going fast on logging roads but not really into jumping or track riding. Didn't want too much power for her with the step up to a "race" bike. But that being said, I really like the weight of the 2t.

Thanks Mike

So the flywheel weight lessened the hit off of the bottom end, the wishbone mod changed the height. If you don't mind me asking, how big was your son at the time, and what was his riding style. My daughter is not too aggressive. no issues going fast on logging roads but not really into jumping or track riding. Didn't want too much power for her with the step up to a "race" bike. But that being said, I really like the weight of the 2t.

Thanks Mike

I wouldn't suggest a 2t for her type of riding... especially for being such a light little thing. Although I know KX's have a better lower powerband than a YZ, I still think it would scare her or get sketchy on trails. The weight isn't the most important thing on a bike, even for someone small. What's more important is that she can touch the ground easily and is comfortable with the power and handling. A 2t is very snappy and responsive, it won't allow for much error, and the suspension will also be a lot more rigid, which will be hard to adjust to her weight. In another words, it will be a rough ride.

I would stick to modding the 110, but if you're open to other brands of bikes, I would definitely look into the TTR-125. It's a light playful fourstroke with a perfect amount of power that's made for smaller riders. It also comes in two different sizes. ?

muskie-ttr125-020.jpg