Sign in to follow this  

Need some help, I've got the back of an 80 year old

I found out recently that I have, Degenerative Disc Disease and arthritis in my back. Along with L5-S1 herniations (multiple), and I turn 28 next month! I will not have surgery on this one, only as a last resort. And I refuse to have someone poke my spine with and epidural. Does anyone have any advice on alternative treatments, natural such as fruits or anything to curb this. The middle of my back, just below my shoulder blades is so stiff, and my L5-S1 feels like it wants to squish out:banghead:. I have stepped it up on my bowflex also, three times a week.

Thanks

I found out recently that I have, Degenerative Disc Disease and arthritis in my back. Along with L5-S1 herniations (multiple), and I turn 28 next month! I will not have surgery on this one, only as a last resort. And I refuse to have someone poke my spine with and epidural. Does anyone have any advice on alternative treatments, natural such as fruits or anything to curb this. The middle of my back, just below my shoulder blades is so stiff, and my L5-S1 feels like it wants to squish out:banghead:. I have stepped it up on my bowflex also, three times a week.

Thanks

Arthritis Glucosamine Sulfate 1500 mg daily - takes 8 weeks to start to work.

DDD arthritis and herniations - Fish oil 4000 mg daily (made from anchovies, mackeral and Sardines)

Consider Yoga, Accupuncture and crainal sacral work with a Physical Therapist.

Best of Luck.

• Like 1

I was told that I should take Glucosamine Sulfate to help with my torn meniscus. does this stuff really help?

As for your back, stretch and strenghten your core. I have herniated L4/5 for over 15 yrs now. Look and see if there are any MedEx Healthy back centers in your area. It has helped me.

• Like 1

Arthritis Glucosamine Sulfate 1500 mg daily - takes 8 weeks to start to work.

I have been on this for about 2 weeks now.

DDD arthritis and herniations - Fish oil 4000 mg daily (made from anchovies, mackeral and Sardines)

I will get this

Consider Yoga, Accupuncture and crainal sacral work with a Physical Therapist.

Working on my strength also, ever since I had my initial surgery I have been extremely weak. I'm trying to strengthen my core using the Bowflex, but I think that I need some free weights and a medicine ball to be more effective.Best of Luck.

Thank you for the information, it is much appreciated.
I was told that I should take Glucosamine Sulfate to help with my torn meniscus. does this stuff really help?

As for your back, stretch and strenghten your core. I have herniated L4/5 for over 15 yrs now. Look and see if there are any MedEx Healthy back centers in your area. It has helped me.

I think that with PT I have achieved as much as I'm going to. I do the exercises and after that is done, the therapist comes over and tries to put some arc into my spine. My muscles are so tight though, I think I'm going to get a massage and see if that helps.

So, 15 years with the L4-L5 gives me some hope, do you ever feel it?

Thanks for the help also.:smirk:

QUOTE]

Glucosamine really only helps with osteoarthritis. Torn meniscus? I do not think there is much to help that. Surgery to repair meniscus really does not typically work for adults as there is very little blood supply to the meniscus (kids sometimes are lucky but not adults). If you can live with it probably better off to leave it be.

Thank you for the information, it is much appreciated.

I think that with PT I have achieved as much as I'm going to. I do the exercises and after that is done, the therapist comes over and tries to put some arc into my spine. My muscles are so tight though, I think I'm going to get a massage and see if that helps.

So, 15 years with the L4-L5 gives me some hope, do you ever feel it?

Thanks for the help also.:smirk:

I feel it every day. some days more so than others but I never am "free" of the pain or worry of another episode. The Healthy back program really helps. I went today and feel much better just from the stretch alone. When it goes out now, it usually doesnt last as long. I really need to drop 20lbs and get my core stronger. Just coming off ACL replacement and now a torn meniscus has set me back a bit. Mentally more than physically.....

QUOTE]

Glucosamine really only helps with osteoarthritis. Torn meniscus? I do not think there is much to help that. Surgery to repair meniscus really does not typically work for adults as there is very little blood supply to the meniscus (kids sometimes are lucky but not adults). If you can live with it probably better off to leave it be.

What about just cutting out the tear and not trying to repair it? does that lessen the pain and discomfort or does it have an adverse effect? I so want to ride and feel like I am being overly cautious. I have a CTI for that knee from my ACL surgery. The ACL repair looks great from the MRI according to the Dr.

I feel it every day. some days more so than others but I never am "free" of the pain or worry of another episode. The Healthy back program really helps. I went today and feel much better just from the stretch alone. When it goes out now, it usually doesnt last as long. I really need to drop 20lbs and get my core stronger. Just coming off ACL replacement and now a torn meniscus has set me back a bit. Mentally more than physically.....

This is no joke, it's literally almost devastating.

What about just cutting out the tear and not trying to repair it? does that lessen the pain and discomfort or does it have an adverse effect? I so want to ride and feel like I am being overly cautious. I have a CTI for that knee from my ACL surgery. The ACL repair looks great from the MRI according to the Dr.

If the mensicus is causing pain having it cut out should definately get rid of that but does put you more at risk for arthritis in that knee later on. Removing meniscus is an easier surgery that can be done laproscopically and the recovery is easier than a repair. Glad the ACL is looking good.

Sorry to hear about your back issues. FWIW, I have a squashed L5 and the disc is smushed also so I can relate to your issue a bit. Mine doesn't feel squishy but if I carry heavy stuff, I can feel it compress and there's some feedback. I stretch a whole bunch to keep my hip flexors loose and to loosen my glutes. (Pigeon, cross-legged glute stretch and hip flexor stretch/static lunge) My sense is that my hips and butt try to limit my lower back movement and that causes tightness, pain and general feeling of being older than I am. If I stretch for an hour, I'm good for up to a week. If I stiff leg a jump face and g my back out then I have to start over.

I also have 3 degenerate discs in my neck that create some stiffness and loss of mobility but nothing acute ever comes of it. If my upper middle back stiffens up, it's usually because of tension or stress so a guy just has to get rid of that which takes a lot of mind work.

Was your diagnosis from a neurosurgeon or the like? Just curious.

Oh, I've also had discograms in 4 cervical discs and the dye thing in my spine so one can become a spinal pincushion without bad side effects. I wouldn't rule out epidurals, hell, even my wife got one after 20 some hours of labor. :-) Good luck.

I've had back pain for around 15 years, sports related injury.

Keeping moving helps the most. I'm feeling stiff right now because I've been plopped in front of this computer for 2 hours.

A rheumatologist recommended yoga, which I resisted because I thought it was "gay", until I finally went and was confronted by a lot of tight yoga pants. I was the only dude. I never missed yoga. Did it for a year and my flexibility went up and pain went down.

• Like 1

I've had back pain for around 15 years, sports related injury.

Keeping moving helps the most. I'm feeling stiff right now because I've been plopped in front of this computer for 2 hours.

A rheumatologist recommended yoga, which I resisted because I thought it was "gay", until I finally went and was confronted by a lot of tight yoga pants. I was the only dude. I never missed yoga. Did it for a year and my flexibility went up and pain went down.

It sucks man, I feel like an aluminum trash can that's been kicked around and dented up!:ride: But, I'll probably be out of the service in a few. I also heard about yoga and pilates, it has been recommended by many I work with. I think that after I get done with my college courses I may try and take it up. My middle back sucks, it is so stiff and prolong standing or sitting aggravates it. Yoga pants are the bomb:thumbsup:

Thanks to everyone for the info.