Sign in to follow this  

what bike is right for me?

hey guys im 15 years old, ive been riding for around 8-9 years, i have a 2007 ttr 125 right now, but getting kind of bored with it, ive been looking at yz 450's for awhile now but ive never really ridin one before. I eventually want to get into racing so i just wanna make the jump to a bigger bike, like i said im 15 and pretty sure i can handle it, can i get your guys opinions please? :smirk:

A 450 mx bike is a totally different beast than your beginner trail oriented 125 4t. There will be a major jump in performance and maintenance that you may not be prepared for. have you considered a 125 2t or a 200 2t?

Jumping to a 450 from a ttr125 will slow your learning curve in my opinion. depending on your size I would suggest a 250f for a year or two

A 450 mx bike is a totally different beast than your beginner trail oriented 125 4t. There will be a major jump in performance and maintenance that you may not be prepared for. have you considered a 125 2t or a 200 2t?

ive considered both, but more into the 250 2 stroke by far more than the 125 2 stroke, i know they are pretty easy to maintain and for 15 i pretty much do all the maintnence work on my ttr lol, my mates for a rm-250 2-stroke and ive ridin it, its a beast, the reason why im a bit sketchy on a 2 stroke is because they are banning them in races, and the next bike im buying, i really dont plan on buying another after it

Jumping to a 450 from a ttr125 will slow your learning curve in my opinion. depending on your size I would suggest a 250f for a year or two

what do you mean by slowing my learning curve?

i was thinking about that also, but then again, money is tight for me, and im buying all my bike lol, dads not helping me on this one :/

what do you mean by slowing my learning curve?

i was thinking about that also, but then again, money is tight for me, and im buying all my bike lol, dads not helping me on this one :/

Slowing your learning curve means you won't be able to handle a 450, and it will take you a very long time to adjust to the power/weight (and when you do get the hang of it, making progress in speed will be very difficult), whereas if you bought a 125/250 2t/2504t you will adjust faster, therefore making you a faster rider. I recommend a 125 2t, it will teach you great skills that will make you a better rider on any other bike. And since when is a 450 cheaper than any other bike? Maybe things are different in your area.

ive considered both, but more into the 250 2 stroke by far more than the 125 2 stroke, i know they are pretty easy to maintain and for 15 i pretty much do all the maintnence work on my ttr lol, my mates for a rm-250 2-stroke and ive ridin it, its a beast, the reason why im a bit sketchy on a 2 stroke is because they are banning them in races, and the next bike im buying, i really dont plan on buying another after it

Sorry, missed this post. Banning 2ts? I don't think that will ever happen, 2ts have such a huge fan base.

125 2 stroke would definatly be a good bike to check out and they are definatly not going to be banned

if you dont plan on getting another bike then just get a 250 2t or 450.

just take it easy at start, and you will get use to it,

im 14 and have a yz85, and when im 15 im going to get a 250 2 stroke and i will have it for a long time.

Slowing your learning curve means you won't be able to handle a 450, and it will take you a very long time to adjust to the power/weight (and when you do get the hang of it, making progress in speed will be very difficult), whereas if you bought a 125/250 2t/2504t you will adjust faster, therefore making you a faster rider. I recommend a 125 2t, it will teach you great skills that will make you a better rider on any other bike. And since when is a 450 cheaper than any other bike? Maybe things are different in your area.

ok, well i might start to look at 250 2 strokes again, looking back at the pros and cons of a 250 2-stroke vs a 450, way cheaper by far and far more quieter for my area lol, btw can 1500-1800$ get me a fairly decent 250 2 stroke? ^^

I second the 125 idea....450 from the ttr is probably 4x more bike plus expensive to maintain, a 450 mxer won't get by only oil changes like your ttr, especially to learn on....buy the 125, you will portion be able to sell it for what you paid

I second the 125 idea....450 from the ttr is probably 4x more bike plus expensive to maintain, a 450 mxer won't get by only oil changes like your ttr, especially to learn on....buy the 125, you will portion be able to sell it for what you paid

This is very true, the market for 2T's in general is rising so you will easily be able to sell it for what you paid, as long as you take care of it.

I'm 14 on a kx100 and rm125 and those bikes are damn fast. I'm 5'6 so I'm still in the(too big for the super mini..too small for the full size phase)

From a view of riding both a ttr 125 and my rm125...easily the rm has double the power, and it is easy to maintain compared to a 250 or 450 4T, so if i were you i would consider a 125 of some sort. You can find one for around 1300 and lower if you look.

I would not sit on a 450 yet at 14 or 15

Anyway, hopefully this helps and good look with your decision.

:smirk:

My 15 year old son just made the leap from a CRF150F to a WR250F and the transition appeared pretty seamless. It has quite a bit more horsepower, but the same wide ratio transmission, etc. and a pretty good trail/enduro bike.

You didn't really say what type of riding that you do....other than mentioning that you may want to get into racing later on. Perhaps you should consider the CRF250X, WR250F or maybe a KDX200 (2 stroke). You can do trail riding and maybe a bit of track riding with these bikes.

I strongly recommend against going from a TTR125L (~9 HP) to a 450 4t or 250 2t (47-50 HP) motocrosser. You are just asking for trouble or big time injuries.

if you dont plan on getting another bike then just get a 250 2t or 450.

just take it easy at start, and you will get use to it,

im 14 and have a yz85, and when im 15 im going to get a 250 2 stroke and i will have it for a long time.

If you don't treat your bike like shit, you'd be able to get an used 125, prepare for a 250 2t, and then sell the 125 for minimal loss and purchase a 250 2t. Theres no reason to jump straight to a 250 2t. I have done the same thing and actually made profit off of my 125.

ok, well i might start to look at 250 2 strokes again, looking back at the pros and cons of a 250 2-stroke vs a 450, way cheaper by far and far more quieter for my area lol, btw can 1500-1800$ get me a fairly decent 250 2 stroke? ^^

Markets vary, but in my area, that would get you a decent bike. Decent= completely functioning but it will not have the technology of newer bike.

I still say you should get a 125. I know from experience. Learning on a 125 will give you skills that will make you a faster and better rider even in 10 years when you'll be riding a 450. Jumping to a 250 2t will still be a major transition.

My 15 year old son just made the leap from a CRF150F to a WR250F and the transition appeared pretty seamless. It has quite a bit more horsepower, but the same wide ratio transmission, etc. and a pretty good trail/enduro bike.

You didn't really say what type of riding that you do....other than mentioning that you may want to get into racing later on. Perhaps you should consider the CRF250X, WR250F or maybe a KDX200 (2 stroke). You can do trail riding and maybe a bit of track riding with these bikes.

I strongly recommend against going from a TTR125L (~9 HP) to a 450 4t or 250 2t (47-50 HP) motocrosser. You are just asking for trouble or big time injuries.

i do alot of field riding, alot of open fields around my house and they are pretty long, so i really want somethin to rip on :smirk:

This is very true, the market for 2T's in general is rising so you will easily be able to sell it for what you paid, as long as you take care of it.

I'm 14 on a kx100 and rm125 and those bikes are damn fast. I'm 5'6 so I'm still in the(too big for the super mini..too small for the full size phase)

From a view of riding both a ttr 125 and my rm125...easily the rm has double the power, and it is easy to maintain compared to a 250 or 450 4T, so if i were you i would consider a 125 of some sort. You can find one for around 1300 and lower if you look.

I would not sit on a 450 yet at 14 or 15

Anyway, hopefully this helps and good look with your decision.

:smirk:

a 125 2-stroke sounds better everytime i read the posts on here, nothing but great reviews, thanks for the help :smirk:

Im 14 and have a 125 2 stroke. I probably won't get a 250 2 stroke until im 17-18. I also field ride, go to the gravel pits, hill climb, and just rip around.

hey buddy im 15 two and i was thinking the same thing....sell my 230 and buy a kx450f. people said i was crazy and i have been riding and racig since like 6yrs old. i have no dout u could ride it but u wouldnt have fun on it. u would just like shit yourself every time u throttle it, and u probily couldnt pin it down for a while. i think you should get a crf250r 0r what ever brand u like, and use that as a steppin stone to a 450 yk, i kno this because i tried to ride my friends dads rmz450 and i could ride it but it wasnt fun cuz the trails were tight and it comes up alot, so my advice to u and myself is chill with the 450 till ur older and get a nice 250f

To me you sound a bit in over your head wanting a 450. im 16 6'2" and ride a 125 2t. bike has tons of power. I have seen what 450's can do to people and it seems like whoever i know that has had one, got hurt on it. i say get a 250f or 125 2t. either is twice the bike of your ttr.

I have no doubt if you get a 450 you will have no fun. Or have fun but hurt yourself. I dont really know who needs that much of a bike unless you are a really big guy haha :/