Sign in to follow this  

Rough day changing tires.

My commuter bike needed new skins so Saturday I decided to make the swap. Pulled the front, swapped the tires, aired it up and put it back on. By the time I was ready to let it down off the stand, it was flat. NUTS. I couldn't tell you the last time I pinched one, so I figured I was due. Went to the shop and picked up a new tube and back to the house I go. 15 minumtes later I'm airing it up again...psssssss. You got to be kidding me...I pinched another one. The bike shop was closed by now so I just patched it. Did the rear with no problems and all is good. Not sure what the problem was, but I felt like a tool. I've probably done dozens since I last pinched one and then I pinch 2 in the same day.

Been there, had a day or two like that. I have pinched tubes where I swore there was no way I did it.

I haven't had a pinched tube since i started keeping baby powder in a garbage bag right next to me while prepping the tubes.

Last time I did tires I guess I semi-pinched the tube, held fine till I tried to seat the bead. Got to about 45psi and it let go... That one woke me up.

i haven't pinched a tube in a long time....so i'm due for one of those days really soon.

If you get all the tools and use hd tubes you wont pinch the tube again. You just gotta take your time and think about what you're doing, otherwise you will have a bad time.

there is no replacement for baby powder on the tube and WD 40 on the tire that you are beading.

I haven't had a pinched tube since i started keeping baby powder in a garbage bag right next to me while prepping the tubes.

Same here. Put the tube in the bag and shake it up. Pour a little baby powder in the tire, and roll it around to coat.

Another thing that has pinch proofed my tubes was 3 Motion Pro tire spoons, with the rounded ends.

I never used the baby powder. I'll give it a try next weekend when I do my other bike.

I did 6 tires fri on my 450r and my wife & daughter 150r.

We just got back into motocross after a 8 yr down time (work,home building,school)

It took me all day LOL but no bad tubes and only three cuts to the hand LOL.

I haven't pinched a tube in awhile, but I'm using ultra-HD tubes since I changed to a trials tire.

I learned a valuable lesson last time I changed a rear tire, always isert the spoons so that you push your spoons away from the body. I didn't do this when changing a particulary stubborn Dunlop 756, inserted the spoons at the 12 o'clock position and pulled towards my body, well the spoon slipped out and I punched myself in the nose, now I'm pissed, inserted the spoon again in the same position and yup.. did it again, only this time I was really pulling hard and when the spoon came out I hit myself with enough force to drive myself to my knees.

Two puches to the face and a bloody nose, I finally wised up, now I push the spoons away from myself.

Heavy duty tubes + baby powder or hand cleaner works wonders.

ULTRA heavy duty tubes are even better and rarely pinch.....thick as heck ( front tube fills out a shoe box) and tough to get in but are worth it :smirk:

Joe

I haven't pinched a tube in awhile, but I'm using ultra-HD tubes since I changed to a trials tire.

I learned a valuable lesson last time I changed a rear tire, always isert the spoons so that you push your spoons away from the body. I didn't do this when changing a particulary stubborn Dunlop 756, inserted the spoons at the 12 o'clock position and pulled towards my body, well the spoon slipped out and I punched myself in the nose, now I'm pissed, inserted the spoon again in the same position and yup.. did it again, only this time I was really pulling hard and when the spoon came out I hit myself with enough force to drive myself to my knees.

Two puches to the face and a bloody nose, I finally wised up, now I push the spoons away from myself.

L O L :smirk: :smirk: