Sign in to follow this  

2011 KX 250f engine locked up

I have had this bike since new since last September. I've had quite a few bikes and take good care of them changing oil regular keeping air filter clean etc...I was riding it yesterday and it suddenly lost some power like I thought I was running out of gas. I checked and everything was OK, gas, oil radiator fluid. It started back up and idled and low rpm were OK but when it was revved it was losing power, it almost seemed like an exhaust issue possibly. Then there was a small metallic tink type noise and the bike shut down. The kick seemed to have no compression. I just pushed it slowly down a few times to confirm it. When I got it back home and unloaded the kickstarter will not go down at all now. Obviously it's got some major problems and the engine is going to have to come apart but I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas what it could be based on my description? Or if there has a been a problem with these bikes in general and others have had similar problems?

Thanks, Ryan Stratton

Interesting.

There was a guy on here who had a similar problem with almost the same amount of time on his bike. Found out that an oil passage was blocked I believe. I don't think oil was making it to the top of the cams.

I was having a problem where oil was coming out of the weep hole for the spark plug and was told the o ring was leaking. Well I took off the motor and discovered there was no o ring at all installed from the factory. I wonder what else they forgot to put in. Also my coil engine mounting bracket snapped and the coil banged around and scarred up my radiator and engine case a little bit. This bike has been kind of a bummer. My 08 KX250f was bullet proof prob put 100 or more hours on that bike with no troubles and only one piston replaced in that time. That is the main reason I chose to go with another Kawi

With out dissasembly it's hard to find out why..

There was an issue with another 2011 blowing up on this forum kawi covered it how ever it blew up two times after that how ever the issue that cause the first blow up was never found and just the parts that broke were replaced.. You need to find out what caused the issue and resolve that. then rebuild the motor. even with 20hrs on the bike kawasaki may still help you how ever you have to have a dealer diagnosis the problem. If you self diagnosis kawi will not help you.

Ryan, you sure it only has 20hrs on it?

You are an ironman, I have seen you put in 45min straight out there without stopping.

This scares me cause I know you keep your bike fresh and always maintained.

I better knock on wood.

Hope you figure it out dude.

I've heard alot about the oil screens blocking up on kawis from like glue or some sort of gasket material they use. Im not sure if this may be an issue on the 11 but I know on the 09s it was.

I've heard alot about the oil screens blocking up on kawis from like glue or some sort of gasket material they use. Im not sure if this may be an issue on the 11 but I know on the 09s it was.

I did notice an EXCESSIVE amount of kawibond along the center of the case halves on the outside, so I can imagine how much is on the inside. Dont you have to split the cases to clean the oil screens?

"Easily" :smirk: I've never been able to pull that screen out. It's stuck in there nice and good :smirk:

yeah I gave up trying to get my 2011's out.. I do need to look at it here soon. Two blown clutches in one weekend sure it's probably got some crud on it. [second clutch was an allready used clutch that had slipped before it was just a temp to get through the weekend]

I talked to Kawasaki and the dealer where I bought it. They said if it is a failure as a result of faulty parts then it will be warranted. I had an 06 Kawi 450 that totally grenaded and even after almost being a year old they put a new engine in for free. So they are a good company as far as standing behind their products.

"Easily" :smirk: I've never been able to pull that screen out. It's stuck in there nice and good :smirk:

That´s because you all waited for too long before cleaning it. Now when you all have burnt up clutches and been generally overheating for months it´s stuck in there.

:prof:

That´s because you all waited for too long before cleaning it. Now when you all have burnt up clutches and been generally overheating for months it´s stuck in there.

:smirk:

Don't give me that crap DK, I tried pulling it out before the motor had even an hour on it!!!!!!!!

It sucks your new bike is on the fritz, but I kind of hope those bikes grenade like the older ones so more of those nifty forks show up on Ebay.