How to market an idea?

If you had an idea, that you knew was brilliant and are pretty sure that noone else is already making, but don't yourself have the means of producing or marketing it.... How would you go about pitching the idea to existing aftermarket companies???

who would you contact? and how would you protect yourself against them just taking your idea and cutting you out of the picture?

I think i'm sitting on gold with no way to make it happen myself....

Speaking from experience, hire a patent attorney. Worth every penny. You don't have to have a full blown patent to market and sell an item. Patent pending is just as good as a patent.

and i'm assuming that you wouldn't want to start talking to any companies until you have the patent pending?

Exactly, once the patent is apllied for that date sticks with it forever. Don't leak the idea to anyone, especially if they have more money than you. They could pay an attorney to apply tomorrow with enough money. Also in your application be very specific as they will not grant a patent on a very broad idea, the more specific you are the less an attorney will have to do and you'll save some cash. An attorney will also write you a document that anybody you do business with will have to sign saying they'll stay quiet. If you decide to involve an attorney and then don't pay them they usually take possession of the rights to the patent, so don't get one involved unless you can pay them, that would suck to lose the rights.

thanks, that is excellent info.

www.legalzoom.com has some inexpensive patent services, as well as a free patents guide that can be emailed to you...

By the way what is it? :smirk:

along the same lines when you file your patent...you may want to keep some aspects specifically broad....if youre way too specific...then all someone has to do is change a few aspects and they have grounds to file a separate patent...

Like above say to noone.

My granda, who i would bet my live savings on as the most technically gifted man on this earth when it comes to machinery and engineering. Had this idea that involved pumping up a flat tyre or putting a tyre on im not sure, using minimal tools and the cars engine, for example if you were in the middle of nowhere with hardly any tools. It was something to do with the wheels of a car :smirk:

anyway he wrote it in to one of these magazines, baring in mind this was 20 odd years ago. You got £50 if it was the best idea sort of thing.

A week later the company related to the magazine came back and asked if he would sign a disclaimer. He didnt mind and signed it.

It was a few years later he found out his idea was being used in the army and being tested on public vehicles overseas. But he couldn't ask for royalties as he had signed this "disclaimer"

We, sorry I mean He(:prof:) could have been absolutely loaded if he had marketed the idea :smirk:

along the same lines when you file your patent...you may want to keep some aspects specifically broad....if youre way too specific...then all someone has to do is change a few aspects and they have grounds to file a separate patent...

This is why you need an attorney, they will know exactly how to word it to not only get the patent but to cover your own ass. I'm not saying it can't get done without an attorney but if it falls through the first time and then say fox racing gets a patent on it then you have to sue them for infringement and who do you think would win. At that point it's just a battle of bank accounts. By the way i'm not trying to promote attorneys but a patent attorney was some of the best money I ever spent.

Here is my 2 cents and I have some products already on the market.

If the product is not going to have at least 1 million in sales a year its not worth it.

Patents cost $$ when you get a lawyer involved and its not a 1 time deal. You have to pay maintenance fees to keep a patent going. It is very easy to beat a patent.....I have a friend whose job was to beat patents for a tool company.

Make the product and be the 1st to market it and take the cash. If its a good idea someone will copy it and sell it for less than you do......but yours will be best as it was 1st to market.

I'm not sure if I can afford an attorney right now, but I'll definitely look into it.

In the end, if I can find the capitol, i might just see if i can make and sell the item myself.

Here is my 2 cents and I have some products already on the market.

If the product is not going to have at least 1 million in sales a year its not worth it.

Patents cost $$ when you get a lawyer involved and its not a 1 time deal. You have to pay maintenance fees to keep a patent going. It is very easy to beat a patent.....I have a friend whose job was to beat patents for a tool company.

Make the product and be the 1st to market it and take the cash. If its a good idea someone will copy it and sell it for less than you do......but yours will be best as it was 1st to market.

good point.

My family's business has 3 patents on various products. They are worth the paper they are printed on! Easy to break them, and hard and expensive to go after the companies that break them. If you truly have something to market, then get the patent and start a small company and market the thing yourself. This way you are first to market with it, and if it is a good idea then you will more then likely be bought out, and we will all be very jealous of you!:smirk:

Watch shark tank ............. some killer ideas on there.

Good place to start is the "Inventor Help" page at inventnet.com