84 XR200R quits after a few hours

I have an 84 XR200R thats doesn't like to run after a few hours of riding. It will start and idle but when I release the clutch in gear it stalls even if I give it lots of gas. The first time it did it I cleaned the carbs and the second time I cleaned the tank/lines/carbs. Now it did it again yesterday. It runs great until about the 3 or 4 hour mark. Any ideas what could be causing this?

Maybe there are further obstructions in the petcock or fuel strainer in the tank...I have had strange symptoms from the combination of those two items loading up, then seeming to back off.

Also, I dumped some Sea Foam in my carb through the gas inlet line after draining the float bowl first. Then make sure to drain out all the Sea Foam you can before starting the bike.

I bought an atv from a guy that used too much SF and it caused a temp situation where his valve guide was so cleaned off by the SF, it made it stick in place and ruin the valves and the head. Easy fix was drain the tank, then install a new head, and back on the trail.

Stay away from Seafoam !

Ignition and carburation can mimic eachother as far as symptom. Take on a different tact and check the ignition. Especially look for loose or corroded ground wires from the harness to the frame. Prime suspects are the kill switch and ignition coil. Remove the bolts, brighten them up and wire brush the frame where the lug makes contact. Check all connections. Also check the stator and make sure the screws holding it on are tight. Last, check any light connections for loose connections. Don't laugh, sometimes you will find something while looking for something else. I've fixed several bikes replacing the kill switch and brightening up ground connections. Good luck.

Ignition and carburation can mimic eachother as far as symptom. Take on a different tact and check the ignition. Especially look for loose or corroded ground wires from the harness to the frame. Prime suspects are the kill switch and ignition coil. Remove the bolts, brighten them up and wire brush the frame where the lug makes contact. Check all connections. Also check the stator and make sure the screws holding it on are tight. Last, check any light connections for loose connections. Don't laugh, sometimes you will find something while looking for something else. I've fixed several bikes replacing the kill switch and brightening up ground connections. Good luck.

Would an electrical issue like you describe only show up after a few hours of riding? I'm gonna check everything I can when I get time to get out to the garage.

Check valve adjustment. Your symptoms are classic for overly tight valves. Sorry I can't help with spec. Run a search in this forum, I'm sure someone has posted them.

Ford, Absolutely. Friend of mine had an XR250 that would miss intermittantly. Then one day he noticed that it did it after he went thru water. We removed the tank, located the coil, and found that the bolt was loose and there was rust under it. Ran fine under 5K rpm.

I had a TT600 that did the same thing and it was the cdi box..definatly check your valves.. my 2 cents Tim