Sign in to follow this  

What petcock positions are ON-OFF-RESERVE, '74 Suzuki RV90?

1974 Suzuki RV90 I just bought, and am working on to get it started. I now have spark back after cleaning the points. It appears to have a vacuum controlled petcock.

Does anybody know what positions are what?

Horizontal to the ground = ?

Up towards the sky = ?

Down towards the ground = ?

I removed the little filter bowl at the bottom, and if I flip the lever from horizontal to UP, gas flows freely out where the bowl was. It doesn't do that if the lever is horizontal, or down towards the ground. So, I'm not sure what is what. I have a broken throttle cable I have to repair as of yet, so the slide in the carb doesn't go up and down, and I can't start the bike just yet.

Thanks for your help.

1974 Suzuki RV90 I just bought, and am working on to get it started. I now have spark back after cleaning the points. It appears to have a vacuum controlled petcock.

Does anybody know what positions are what?

Horizontal to the ground = ?

Up towards the sky = ?

Down towards the ground = ?

I removed the little filter bowl at the bottom, and if I flip the lever from horizontal to UP, gas flows freely out where the bowl was. It doesn't do that if the lever is horizontal, or down towards the ground. So, I'm not sure what is what. I have a broken throttle cable I have to repair as of yet, so the slide in the carb doesn't go up and down, and I can't start the bike just yet.

Thanks for your help.

I finally got an answer to this question from elsewhere. I thought I'd post it here for others:

Lever DOWN facing the ground = ON (vacuum controlled with carb hose when engine running, '74 and up RV90's. Carb already primed w/gas)

Lever horizontal to the ground= RESERVE

Lever facing UP = Prime, full flow to carb even if engine is not running. Once engine starts, you should turn the lever DOWN to face the ground. Carb vacuum will then feed fuel to the carb.

I finally got my bike up and running. Turned out to have a stripped crankshaft nut, and sheared Woodruff key. The flywheel was spinning out of time, and wasn't locked to the crank. I cut the nut off with a chisel, rethreaded the crank (wasn't really stripped, metal in threads was mostly from the NUT, thank goodness!). I then fitted a new nut, new woodruff key, and cranked it down to 29FP which is all it needs. It then started on the first kick. I had already previously rebuilt the carb. I then did some adjustments to the carb, and it's all set.