Sign in to follow this  

Riding in sand dunes

Never been in sand before but planning a trip to Waynoka, Oklahoma later this year. Will my YZ250 have enough power for sand? Do i need to purchase a paddle tire or is my knobbys good enough? What about a front tire? Any tips?

Your YZ should have plenty of power. Definitely get a paddle tire, no more than 8 paddles. Any front tire should do okay. Sit back on the seat more than normal. Set the front suspension stiffer, and the rear suspension softer. Move the rear wheel back a little so the paddles don't chew up the mud flap or sub-frame, and cut the mud flap so it the bottom is flush with sub-frame. Hope this helped!

Your bike has plenty of power to go out and have some fun. You can use knobbies but paddles work much better especially for taking off from a stop. I've run both and knobbies can actually be alot of fun you can slide around more.

Thanks for the tips fellas. I have heard that it is a good idea to run your mixture more rich when riding in sand (or was it leaner..)? I run 32:1 currently. Any suggestions on mixture?

I would stay at 32:1 and get a paddle. Just about every mx dune video is of 2 stroke bikes and they kill the sand

Leave your mixture alone, and fatten up your jetting, dunes = WFO = richer jetting needed

use very good fuel (100 octane) and go up at least 2 sizes on the main jet, make sure your coolant is full and have fun.

use very good fuel (100 octane) and go up at least 2 sizes on the main jet, make sure your coolant is full and have fun.

Drop a tooth on the counter sprocket. This will enable you to carry 3rd (maybe 4th), and will also give you a little extra chain length for moving the tire back to clear the paddles through the swingarm.

He means that you probably have a 14T front sprocket now so just file away 1 tooth on it and make it a 13T :smirk: or just buy a 13T. I felt the 250 had more than enough power at sea level to run the 14T though, not sure about CO though.

Yeah you don't need to drop a tooth unless you are geared higher than stock right now. I'm a big guy and the 92 CR250 did great with stock gearing, it had a 14T and 50T or whatever stock was I can't remember it's been a couple years. But I can remember that it was not geared low.

250 2 stroke works perfect in the sand. You can put a sand paddle on the bike and it will help, but if you not riding at the sand all that often and this is a once in a great once in a while trip the knobby will work fine. If you find yourself making trips to the dunes all the time definitely get a paddle tire. One thing you want to do is make sure you have a good air filter or put a pair of pantyhose or a good prefilter on the bike. Make sure your filter is oiled well.

Most important thing just go and have fun.

Also...one of the worst tires iv'e mounted is a 19" paddle tire. (iv'e done probly a hundred over the years)

If you get one ,i'd have a shop mount it that has a 'good' tire machine.

Butta, what do you mean by "drop a tooth on the counter sprocket"?

Correct....go from the stock 14T to a 13T. No matter what elevation you're at, it will really help the bike spin up and get the power to the sand. You'll have less hesitation down low and the motor will have an easier time getting on the pipe. Who runs 5th gear flat out in the sand anyway? Lower gearing will help, trust me! :smirk:

I used to take a WR400 (back in '99) to Glamis, and gearing it down really helped as well. I didn't understand the recommendation when it was given to me, but after experimenting in the dunes, I bought into the theory completely. Here in CO, at much higher elevations, I use a 13T front and a 52T rear....about as low as I can possibly gear it, and at 8500' I can pull 3rd gear on the steep climbs. With a 14T/52T set up, I can only pull 2nd (and I've got WR 3-5th, so 2nd and 3rd are closer than stock)....

It works....

Correct....go from the stock 14T to a 13T. No matter what elevation you're at, it will really help the bike spin up and get the power to the sand. You'll have less hesitation down low and the motor will have an easier time getting on the pipe. Who runs 5th gear flat out in the sand anyway? Lower gearing will help, trust me! :smirk:

I used to take a WR400 (back in '99) to Glamis, and gearing it down really helped as well. I didn't understand the recommendation when it was given to me, but after experimenting in the dunes, I bought into the theory completely. Here in CO, at much higher elevations, I use a 13T front and a 52T rear....about as low as I can possibly gear it, and at 8500' I can pull 3rd gear on the steep climbs. With a 14T/52T set up, I can only pull 2nd (and I've got WR 3-5th, so 2nd and 3rd are closer than stock)....

It works....

I use 4th and 5th gear on a 2t all the time in the dunes hitting jumps and getting runs at huge dunes. Also with stock gearing on a 06 rm250. You absoluteY do not need to change the gearing

I just rode the dunes here in MI last week with my 02 250. Your bike will have no trouble at all in the sand and plenty of power. I run a 14/51 for track use and went down to 14/48 for the dunes for more top end. With this gearing I did NOT have to be wide open all the time. I rode with a pretty fresh Michelin starcross Msc and was just fine. Paddle or knobby will float just fine it really just depends on personal pref. I noticed that a lot of people on bikes really get on it to start out, lots of wheel spin, and its not really necessary. I usually just drop the clutch almost walk the bike forward with my feet, usually in second by the time I get going and pretty low RPM. Once you do get going, wheelies are no problem and you can just fly around. With a paddle you can start a little faster, but you almost have to rev it a little more because it wants to dig faster. If you do run a paddle just take the mudflap off and either run a shock cover or duct tape the rear of the spring to protect the shaft. Both have there pros and cons...both a blast. Riding in sand is like 90% rider input. Go up at least one size on the main jet, some people go two, run good fuel (110 :smirk: ). Also keep an eye on the air-filter and coolant. I usually put a fresh filter in every day that I ride on the dune, unless its really wet or something. Be very careful for other people and cars, lots of crazies. Also be prepared for sand to get in EVERYTHING!

your yz will do just fine. ive ran mine with and without a paddle. it went just fine without a paddle but i do recomend a paddle. its fun to spray your friends on their ktm's! haha

I use 4th and 5th gear on a 2t all the time in the dunes hitting jumps and getting runs at huge dunes. Also with stock gearing on a 06 rm250. You absoluteY do not need to change the gearing

+1, i ran out of 5th too many times and ahve trouble keeping up with the sand rails on the straights