Would would be the "typical buyers" of a 250XC and 300 XC ?

OK, I am still struggling with all the KTM models, but for the most part its "coming together" :smirk:

So my question is .... if you were going out to buy a bike, WHY would a person choose a 250XC over a 300 XC and vice versa.

Obviously the 300 is going to have slightly more low end torque, but what is the benefit of the 250 over the 300 ??

So ... who would be the "typical buyer" of both model bikes ??

I like the 300 on paper (since I currently ride a 450 4T) so I am trying to figure out the market for the 250 ..... or is it just for more selection?

I think where you ride, the terrain you ride and the elevation you ride are all factors.

I raced 300's for many years thinking bigger is better, I race mostly tight woods at sea level and I found I could ride the smaller bike harder and run into alot less trees.

If your in elevation 5000+ you end up with 250 type power as the air get's thinner, also an auto clutch seems to be magic on a 300.

I'm keeping my 2011 250sx and getting a 2012 300xc that I'll use for high attitude riding and ice racing, the 250sx is a weapon in tight woods and it's easyer to keep the front on the ground.

The 300's do have better resale of all the KTM's.

I only buy used bikes so I had a 250 & 300, XC, XC-W and EXCs all on my list. I just bought the one that seemed to be the best deal going at the time.

That's probably not much help to you though. :smirk:

Are you a lugger? Do you like to ride a gear higher? then the 300 is your bike...

If you like to stay on the pipe and like a motor that rev's quicker then the 250 is a better fit.

Peak power is pretty close (seat of pants measurement) but the 300 has more low end grunt. The 250 will still lug, just not the stump puller that the 300 is.

Are you a lugger? Do you like to ride a gear higher? then the 300 is your bike...

The 250 will still lug, just not the stump puller that the 300 is.

Sounds like the 300 is more my speed being used to the torque of a 450F. Also I run Rekluse and prefer lugging over revving :smirk:

Its hard to keep in the back of one's mind that 50cc's makes a big difference, however thats 4T thinking .... keep forgetting we are talking 2T's here.:smirk:

I'm a lugger but I still like the 200xc the best

Having owned a 300xc and now a 250sx and having ridden many models i can honestly say i prefer the 250. here are my findings.

To me the 250 has good low with a seem less transition into a strong mid range with good top end and over rev. The 300 has more low end, a strong hit into the mid range and then its time to shift as there wasn't much top end and no over rev. For me this translates into the 250 being easier to ride for longer periods of time.

In the tight woods the 250 handles better due to the smoother power transitions and it has less of a gyroscopic effect due to the smaller rotating mass.

Last summer i spent many hours testing different bikes and found on a looping trail when i was timed i was faster on the 250 and was fresher at the end of a lap. i felt i was more in control of the 250 and could hit the same line every time on the 250 where on the 300 i just couldn't.

My 250sx runs down plenty low and it is stock geared with stock flywheel. i run the ignition timing in the off position, jet a bit fat, use the green power valve spring, and use a G2 throttle cam with the 300x cam installed.

By the way i am 6'3" and 240 pounds and i have owned a cr500 and multiple 450's and feel the 250sx i have right now to be the best bike i have owned for where and how i ride. But to each their own!

By the way i am 6'3" and 240 pounds and i have owned a cr500 and multiple 450's and feel the 250sx i have right now to be the best bike i have owned for where and how i ride. But to each their own!

Interesting ... why the 250SX over the 250XC ?? ...

I know the differences in the 2 ... but am curious that a previous XC owner (300XC) would swith to the SX.:smirk:

I had both a 250 and a 300, both were current models and from my experience I thought the 300 was a little "boring". Im not saying it was a bad boring, its just a slower revving engine. I practice quite a bit on a motocross track and even though the 300 was fun to ride, I never felt it had the "zip" and excitement that I wanted. The bike produced tons of torque which was great for me because I was a bottom end rider but I never felt as fast as I was on my 250 (side note, I feel like a superstar on my 125). For a playbike, hands down the 300 is number one in my book but when it came to racing the 250 is where it was at! The 250 felt light, fast, super agile and when it came to making time in the tight stuff, I felt untouchable with the 250. For the average WW, that might do the occasional race, I would direct you towards a 300 but for some one who races I would direct you towards a 250. Either way, they are both incredible bikes and you really cant go wrong! Just my .02 cents

Interesting ... why the 250SX over the 250XC ?? ... I know the differences in the 2 ... but am curious that a previous XC owner (300XC) would swith to the SX.:smirk:

Cheaper to buy and in some cases, its hard to find a XC!

I just purchased a new 250 xc because it was really cheap, i rode a buddys 300 shortly after and yes the torque was quite noticable, my 250 however will lug really well using 2nd gear in the really tight stuff, if i ever ruin the cylinder i will make it a 300 then. For me the 250 is good enough if the dollar savings are there.

If you like to stay on the pipe and like a motor that rev's quicker then the 250 is a better fit.

Peak power is pretty close (seat of pants measurement) but the 300 has more low end grunt. The 250 will still lug, just not the stump puller that the 300 is.

I agree 100%.

I'm a lugger but I still like the 200xc the best

I'm the opposite- I had an old('94) 300, and I loved it, but my riding style is more rev than lug. The 200 has the ability to do both. Ride a gear high, but know that a tap of the clutch will bring the front up over almost any obstacle. Break out on a 2-track and it screams like a 125 MXer

I just purchased a new 250 xc because it was really cheap, i rode a buddys 300 shortly after and yes the torque was quite noticable, my 250 however will lug really well using 2nd gear in the really tight stuff, if i ever ruin the cylinder i will make it a 300 then. For me the 250 is good enough if the dollar savings are there.

That was my exact thinking when I got my slightly used 250. At this point, I might just keep it as a 250 becuase it really pulls down much farther than you'd think it would.

Interesting ... why the 250SX over the 250XC ?? ...

I know the differences in the 2 ... but am curious that a previous XC owner (300XC) would swith to the SX.:smirk:

i picked up my 2010 250sx for $4200 and it was barley used. I decided for this price i could do all the mods my heart desires and still have a bike that close to an xc and weigh much less as i dont feel an electric start is needed on a 2 stroke.

In the woods i ride the 300xc was just a bit much and i feel i can ride the 250 longer and harder and to me it handles better.

i was in the market to buy a 2011 bike, honestly i was looking to get another 300xc but when you look at the cost difference between the sx and the xc it is staggering with $6,500 retail vs. close to $8,000. If i would have bought a new 250sx i would have $1,500 to spend on things like suspension, steering damper, skid plate, ect.ect.

For the price i got my sx i can buy or spend $2,300 on the bike before i am up to retail cost. or i could spend $3,800 on parts and acc. until i get to the cost of a retail XC. hell i could even split the cases and do an xc gearing change or even a 6 spd swap and throw on a 300 jug. it breaks down like this as my investment so far.

Bike $4,200 ( bike came with Turbine core 2, Cycra center reach hand guards, pro taper foot pegs, pro taper evo bars, pro taper pillow top grips, pro taper chain and sprockets, full set of DNA wheels)

Tank $230

Taller seat $130

Skid plate $130

PHDS mounts $150 off ebay

Bauer ignition switch $30

G2 throttle assembly $99

pro moto billet kick stand $150

Full suspension by my tuner $400

Rekluse z-start pro $500

I am selling my 19" rear with tire for $250

18" rear DNA wheel, tubliss, MT-43 trials tire $500 ( only $250 after sell of other wheel)

Motosportz steering damper $400

This is how the bike currently sits. To me it is completely awesome and honestly i love nothing more than bolting on new parts and tuning them to just how i like. the only thing that holds this bike back currently is the rider:lol:

I prefer the 250 over the 300, but I prefer the 200 and 150 over both of them. But to me the 300 seems to be more popular among the older riders and the 250 with the younger riders.

Edited by Flamehead

I have a 2005 250EXC in SX trim that I raced enduros and HS with last year, but bought a 2011 300xc this winter. The 250 is really more fun to ride, nice punch of power and I can ride it on the pipe. The 300 is smooth once the jetting is cleaned up, and less tiring at the end of a long day if you are riding a gear high. It does sign off earlier than the 250 even with a gnarly pipe on the 250. Most pros and AA riders opt for the 250 except for wide open racing. The 300 will pull down in rpms that will stall a 4 stroke and still pull an uphill climb while keeping the back tire planted rather than spinning. Add a Rekluse and you can go anywhere. If I was hare scramble racing and play riding, a 250 would be my choice; I have gravitated toward enduro racing this year and find that the 300 can just diesel through some of the nastiest terrain without hesitating. Both are great bikes.