XR200 will not start?

We have a 98 XR200 that had been sitting for over 5 years and just pulled it out and can't seem to get it started so i pulled the carb off and took it to the shop to get it cleaned and replaced the fuel with new fuel. then tried to start it and it still wouldn't start. So then we replaced the spark plug, plug cap, wire and Ignition coil and still can't seem to get it to start.

What could we be missing?

You may have replaced a bunch of stuff, but do you know if that stuff is working? Do you have spark? Remove the plug and ground it and kick it over and see if you have spark. Also, maybe the engine kill switch or the wiring is bad. Check the switch with an ohmeter to see if it's open and closed when it should be. See if there are any bare wires that might be shorted. Without a manual, I could only guess what the switch states should be, but for starters, you could check that the switch changes state when pressed. Is fuel getting to the carburetor? Open the float bowl drain screw and see if fuel comes out. After you try to start the bike, is the plug wet? Have you checked the idle and air screw initial settings? Did all the right stuff get put back in the carb after it was cleaned? You could take the carb apart and compare it to the exploded views found online and see if anything is missing. Not to insult your intelligence, but do you remember how to set the choke? I once bought an XR250 from a guy who let it sit for 4 years. He said it wouldn't start but it turns out he had the choke set in the wrong position. Once it was set to the right position, it fired right up.

Before you tear anything apart, start with the easy stuff first - check spark, fuel flow, idle and air screw settings - and see where that gets you. It's probably something simple. Double check your work and make sure you didn't leave something disconnected or you didn't disturb something in the process of replacing all that stuff. Been there, done that.

We have checked the spark and it seemed a little week so that is why we replaced the plug cap, wire and Ignition coil. We also checked the ground for the Ignition coil.

As for the choke it is in the up position for choke on.

For checking the kill switch where do you put the ohmeter on? and do you have to kick it over to check?

If you're getting spark, then I would say that the kill switch probably isn't at fault. I would go back to looking at fuel and seeing if it's getting through the carb and into the engine.

One other thought. I'm not familiar with the XR200, but my XR250 has a decompression lever. If your bike has the decompression feature (either manual or automatic), make sure it's adjusted properly.

check petcock valve

The XR200 doesn't have a decompression lever.

Also we just replaced the fuel petcock valve yesterday and still will not start.

Im Just not sure why it will not start.

Since it sat for 5 years, the most obvious area would be the fuel system/carb. Clean the carb carefully and completely, not just cleaning the bowl and main jet. The alcohol gas we get now can oxidize the aluminum and brass pretty badly and clog passages, especially the pilot circuit. Remove all the jets, blow out passages with compressed air, and make sure you've unclogged the circuit passages.

If you want to make sure it's the carburetor, pour a thimble of gas in the spark plug chamber and see if you can get it to briefly start.

Good luck,

KDXIdaho

Since it sat for 5 years, the most obvious area would be the fuel system/carb. Clean the carb carefully and completely, not just cleaning the bowl and main jet. The alcohol gas we get now can oxidize the aluminum and brass pretty badly and clog passages, especially the pilot circuit. Remove all the jets, blow out passages with compressed air, and make sure you've unclogged the circuit passages.

If you want to make sure it's the carburetor, pour a thimble of gas in the spark plug chamber and see if you can get it to briefly start.

Good luck,

KDXIdaho

I agree it is your carb. Pull the pilot jet out and see if you can see through it. If not clear it or just buy a new one for $5.

And the small amount of fuel in the spark plug hole is a great trick fo diognosis.

Good lusk to you.

Remove the fuel screw too and clean out that passage. Be careful to account for all the parts when you take it out. Screw, spring, washer, o-ring in that order.

Does it start for a second when you use starting fluid? I'm with the other posters, something is clogged in the carb. I've had problems with bikes that sit for more than three months with today's gas, let alone 5 years.