ktm 350sxf thoughts after a whole year

Want to hear if you guys think the ktm 350sxf was a success or a failure. To me the Ktm gets a :smirk: its a bike for people who can't handle a 450f, at 5'5'' and weighing 115lbs 450's are way to much for me. For faster guys though I don't see many things that would help them. If you can ride a 450 fast then a 350 is just going to slow you down. Also hate how heavy the bike is, almost weighs as much as the 450. E start is another cool thing though, I have a hard time kicking the bike since im so short. So want to hear your guys opinions.

at my size 6'1.5" and 200 lbs a ktm 350 is useless

It's not that it's a success or a failure, but a work in progress. The 350 is a KTM idea. Make a bike that fills a specific niche in the market (like the XC line-up), and sell it. The 350 is supposed to be a bike that fills the gap between a 250 and a 450, but falls a bit short. IT's only been out for a year, and it's still being developed to better fill its niche. Give it some time.

It looks cool and has a good concept but is definatly for a certain Group of riders. So to me it's just another bike but I did have fun riding my buddy's

Ya bigger guys like you probably wont benefit from the ktm

i wouldnt mind taking one for a ride though just to see what its all about. Like you said the the biggest disappointment has to be the weight. It was touted as a bike similarly sized to a 250f with more power, then it turned out to be 450f with less power..

I think it was touted more as a 450 killer. Why KTM doesn't have more 450 riders in racing is still perplexing.

I finally got to ride one a few weeks ago at a KTM demo day at Thunder Valley / Lakewood. It handled very nice, but I gotta say I was flabbergasted at how slow it was. Really expected it to feel like a soft 450, but instead it just felt like a tuned 250F. Had to rev the piss out of it to get it to move out of it's own way, and I still couldn't clear half the jumps I hit on the 450.

It seems like a good idea as a stepping stone bike for 250F riders looking to move up, but as a 160lb Vet racer accustomed to the grunt of a 450, it doesn't work for me. Especially since it's heavier than my CRF450. :smirk:

My next race bike may still be a 450 SX-F though.

Edited by pace

i love it, i mostly ride in the bush so i dont really need heaps of outright speed or power, i think most of the people that are used to riding 450's wont like it becuse they can be 'lazy' on a 450 and tractor through the turns in 3rd or 4th, were as on the 350 you have to be in the right gear, personally i think its a great bike i like the fact that you do have to rev it and chop through the gears often, to me thats what riding is supposed to be like. just my opinion:thumbsup:

Kinda what i feel too. At 6`3" / 225-230 (depending the season & appetite) it´s not my cup of Tea. It´s a fun ride though.

The big question is for all you 450 guys is the 450 as fun to ride? I enjoy mine and can't see why I'd want a 450 unless I was A) Fat and lazy or :smirk: Never learned on a two stroke. I'm 6'1" 200 lbs and have owned too many 450's yawn yawn.

I am 6'3" and 210 lbs and love the 350. It turns a lot better than any 450 I have owned, I can ride 25 minute motos without my arms falling off, feels lighter in the air than my old 450s, and once I learned how to ride in the proper power/RPM range, I have faster lap times than I did on the 450 I just came off of.

You just can't be lazy riding this thing.

Wow, I totally agree with the guy from NY. Well said.

It is all about fun, right??

The 350 is the perfect bike for 99.9% of the riders ...the problem is it is not perfect for the .1% (the guys who line up for a National SX). Not sure how KTM will ever promote the bike with this unique situation (too many riders think they are part of the .1%).

i love it, i mostly ride in the bush so i dont really need heaps of outright speed or power, i think most of the people that are used to riding 450's wont like it becuse they can be 'lazy' on a 450 and tractor through the turns in 3rd or 4th, were as on the 350 you have to be in the right gear, personally i think its a great bike i like the fact that you do have to rev it and chop through the gears often, to me thats what riding is supposed to be like. just my opinion:thumbsup:

I dont know if laziness has much to do with it, but all that extra power on tap at low RPMS just makes everything better..

Its easier to climb, its easier to steer with the throttle, and IMO its safer because you got extra power on tap to loft the front wheel if you get stuck in the wrong gear or come up on an unexpected obstacle. Then theres the whole RPMS thing.. RPMS = ruin peoples motors, always have always will.. the less you can turn the better off your motor is for longevity.

The big question is for all you 450 guys is the 450 as fun to ride? I enjoy mine and can't see why I'd want a 450 unless I was A) Fat and lazy or :smirk: Never learned on a two stroke. I'm 6'1" 200 lbs and have owned too many 450's yawn yawn.

Since when is power boring?? doesnt make sense.. u act like 450s still dont hit 10k RPMS.. Slow = boring in my book. Power = fun.

Well just like the Honda CRF150R ....

The KTM 350 is the BEST 350 class bike available period ... unless somebody else makes a 350 4T ???

Until then, I would imagine its hard to compare when you have nothing to compare it to. When your the only one, your automatically the best and the worst :smirk: :smirk:

On a serious note ... my only reservation after riding one is having to REV the bike to the MOON for the powerband. Us lazy 450 riders are just used to twisting the throttle, and even if your in the wrong gear, no worries.

Put some torque down low, and I think that bike will be even better.

Well just like the Honda CRF150R ....

The KTM 350 is the BEST 350 class bike available period ... unless somebody else makes a 350 4T ???

Until then, I would imagine its hard to compare when you have nothing to compare it to. When your the only one, your automatically the best and the worst :smirk: :smirk:

Not sure you noticed, but it competes in the 450 class. While it's the only 350 in the market, it goes up against a different displacement bikes therefore, comparisons aren't unrealistic by any stretch, right?