Sign in to follow this  

Help me set up my 2011 xc300w

Postman brought me a nice big box. My first KTM ... switching from a Yamaha 4 stroke. The weapon's main mission is to chase my 8 and 10 year olds thru dirt and gravel trails. Need to soften it up.

5731752861_c02d024bf8_b.jpg

DSC_0576

So as best I can tell I need to:

1. choose the less aggressive engine map

2. choose the green power spring

3. perhaps change the front sprocket to ????

4. change carb settings (we are at sea level and majority of time at 6-15C else 16-24C) .... open for suggestions

Any other tips welcome ..............:smirk:

Andrew

Put it together, ride it and get it broken in. Then start to sort it out. The maps did not make much of a difference on my 08 (I run an SX ignition now).

The green spring and the preload dolly will move the hit higher up the rpm scale easing throttle control.

Leave the gearing alone. The common misconception is to gear it down to tame it and it ends up just bringing the power on quicker making throttle control a bit more chllenging. The W gear box can be a bit gappy between 3rd and 4th gear so gearing up is not a good idea unless you are ruinning in the dessert.

Run the jetting a bit on the fat side along with the green spring and the preload dolly turned in a few turns more and you will be fine.

Iv'e got the exact same bike in the garage. Before you do ANYTHING to it, get the proper springs for your weight. The suspension will be much better harshness wise. Think about changing the seat to the KTM tall soft, your a$$ will thank you. Forget the different maps, keep it on fast mode. Try the red spring with the dolly screw all the way out flush... this way it has full power when needed, but the surge in power is smoothed out. This setup has a real nice smooth, strong power delivery. The stock gearing is fine, just ride it a gear tall and lug it. The jetting needs to be tweaked in the bottom end to run clean. So far the best mod for the carb is a #7 unnotched slide and a #45 pilot, and an N3CH needle #3 clip, stock main. For me this setup works perfect with the Rekluse pro auto clutch. The bottom end jetting needs to be real clean for the auto clutch to work and hook up right.

Just a few thoughts,

Mark

wow.....chasing 8 and 10 yr olds with that "thang" is like getting a Porsche to bring the pitchers in from the bullpen! beautiful bike you have there ( every once in a while get it out with the guys and open it up!).

Joe

Put it together, ride it and get it broken in. Then start to sort it out. The maps did not make much of a difference on my 08 (I run an SX ignition now).

The green spring and the preload dolly will move the hit higher up the rpm scale easing throttle control.

Leave the gearing alone. The common misconception is to gear it down to tame it and it ends up just bringing the power on quicker making throttle control a bit more chllenging. The W gear box can be a bit gappy between 3rd and 4th gear so gearing up is not a good idea unless you are ruinning in the dessert.

Run the jetting a bit on the fat side along with the green spring and the preload dolly turned in a few turns more and you will be fine.

Uh, I hope you're aware that this bike has the 6spd gearbox and is not as gappy as previous models... Should really be spot on now!!