riding NYS powerlines?

first off i want to say hi since I'm new here.

so im getting my first 2-stroke dirt bike (not my first bike), a 2006 honda cr125r, it is really nice and has been modified a lot, and I'm getting a really really good price for it... anyway i live right next to the power lines and every weekend i can here people ridding the power lines. the only kicker is the police station is about 60 yds from one side of the "loop" that the trail makes. there is ALOT of foliage around now and i haven't heard of anyone being busted. i am trying to do the right thing but i love to ride and would love to use this bike often. so does anyone ride the power lines and if so have you or anyone you know been busted in NYS? I haven't seen anyone but ridders on the power lines but who knows, I'm my area there is very little hunting so i have never seen DEC in my neck of the woods. also does anyone think i should flat out ask a officer in school what the legality is? or do you think this would hurt me in the long run?... please help!

I always ask first before I ride anywhere. It should be private property of the power company. That probably is the reason why the cops dont bother with it.

As long as you have a forest legal pipe and enough exhaust packing you should be fine. Also, take a check on google earth to see if the trail goes near any houses. Also, register your bike if you haven't done so. If you do all of that you should be fine. Here in Mass. the cops only care if people complain.

One time out behind the Wrentham outlets (for anyone that knows the area) my dad and I were riding in the pit area and on the fire road was a cop. We slowed down and they just waved. There is hardly anyone out there to bother.

im 45min from the wrentham outlets, i might take a ride over there, is it easy to navigate?

so if it is forest approved and is under the max db level it should be ok?

so if it is forest approved and is under the max db level it should be ok?

not necessarily ... your in a punt situation kid ... The honest and upright thing to do is ask ...however.... sometimes its better to ask for forgiveness ....

The land under powerlines is not usually owned by the power line company. it is usually own by individuals. The powerline has an easement to string their lines over that persons land. If you ride 10 miles of powerline you could travel over (tresspass) the land of several hundred land owners. Obviously your not going to get permission from each one. In our area its know as not legal but tolerated. Such an area would be someplace that while not legal nobody will bother you if you ride there and are not stupid loud or a real nuisance. If this area is the one and only place you will have to ride. I would do some research and find out what the deal is. You could start with the folks that ride out there. although they are most likely of the ask for forgiveness persuasion. If you ask the cop straight out is it legal to ride there He will most likely say no. If you phrase it a little different and tell him you were thinking about a bike and was wondering if he got any complaints about bikes or places you should not go if you have one, then he doesn't have to tell you its illegal and you can't ride there. all he has to say is "no we never get any calls about that. Or "yes such and such is always after us about the bikes." Then you know if your in for a hassle if you ride there. The flip side is if he doesn't know about a riding spot and you go ask about it you may have just ratted out a nice not legal but tolerated riding spot!! Its not easy being an off road dirt rider!! The spark arrestor and off road registration sticker is a good way to keep the fish and game guys happy and show them you are trying to play by the rules. Its a way to score some points in the responsible rider category.

btw i'd be carefull buying a used built 125, especially if they are selling for a "good Price". thats got used and abuse time bomb written all over it.

learning to Negotiate the local politics of off road riding is no different, then learning to negotiate rock gardens and wet slick roots., just another aspect of the sport.

Good Luck

tread lightly

ride quiet

out of sight, out of sound, out of mind ....

if they can't see and they can't hear you, they won't care about you.

not necessarily ... your in a punt situation kid ... The honest and upright thing to do is ask ...however.... sometimes its better to ask for forgiveness ....

The land under powerlines is not usually owned by the power line company. it is usually own by individuals. The powerline has an easement to string their lines over that persons land. If you ride 10 miles of powerline you could travel over (tresspass) the land of several hundred land owners. Obviously your not going to get permission from each one. In our area its know as not legal but tolerated. Such an area would be someplace that while not legal nobody will bother you if you ride there and are not stupid loud or a real nuisance. If this area is the one and only place you will have to ride. I would do some research and find out what the deal is. You could start with the folks that ride out there. although they are most likely of the ask for forgiveness persuasion. If you ask the cop straight out is it legal to ride there He will most likely say no. If you phrase it a little different and tell him you were thinking about a bike and was wondering if he got any complaints about bikes or places you should not go if you have one, then he doesn't have to tell you its illegal and you can't ride there. all he has to say is "no we never get any calls about that. Or "yes such and such is always after us about the bikes." Then you know if your in for a hassle if you ride there. The flip side is if he doesn't know about a riding spot and you go ask about it you may have just ratted out a nice not legal but tolerated riding spot!! Its not easy being an off road dirt rider!! The spark arrestor and off road registration sticker is a good way to keep the fish and game guys happy and show them you are trying to play by the rules. Its a way to score some points in the responsible rider category.

btw i'd be carefull buying a used built 125, especially if they are selling for a "good Price". thats got used and abuse time bomb written all over it.

learning to Negotiate the local politics of off road riding is no different, then learning to negotiate rock gardens and wet slick roots., just another aspect of the sport.

Good Luck

tread lightly

ride quiet

out of sight, out of sound, out of mind ....

if they can't see and they can't hear you, they won't care about you.

I totally agree with Skid. "out of sight, out of sound, out of mind ....

if they can't see and they can't hear you, they won't care about you"

I live in a small town, with a small town-minded cop, along a set of RR tracks.

we push though town to the tracks and take it easy to a place out behind a couple mountains and no one can hear us ride. Its not a place to ride every day, but a few times a month, its great. Just do try to make a sincere effort to respect the property, with your tires and noise levels.

well i asked the School Resource Officer (SRO) where in my town it was legal to ride a dirt bike since i "want" to get a bike and want to make sure i can legally ride. he said he wasn't sure and that i should check with town hall about where is legal and not legal.

would town hall give me the info on who owns the land if i ask. i really want to ride since my bike is coming on thursday but i want to do it legally and without issues. i will check with the town hall but i dont know what they will tell me. if i can find the landowner/s then i will ask them for permission.

btw,

the bike is a 2006 cr125r with these mods:

-fmf fatty

-pro circuit 304

-a 151cc big bore kit (installed by the maker of the kit)

.....this bike is nice and i want to get a forest approved silencer but for now i would be using the 304 which isn't very DEC friendly.

thanks for the help

im 45min from the wrentham outlets, i might take a ride over there, is it easy to navigate?

Its not too bad. If you go look at it on google maps, go look behind the outlets and you'll see a pit area. If you go further away from the outlets and cross the paved road, you will see a TON of woods where there is a lot of trails. But if I were you I would just register your bike and ride in the south coast state forests. 4 different state forests to choose from. Freetown is huge although I haven't been there. I went to Franklin and that was big too.

Its not too bad. If you go look at it on google maps, go look behind the outlets and you'll see a pit area. If you go further away from the outlets and cross the paved road, you will see a TON of woods where there is a lot of trails. But if I were you I would just register your bike and ride in the south coast state forests. 4 different state forests to choose from. Freetown is huge although I haven't been there. I went to Franklin and that was big too.

Hey KJ55! Good to see another local MA rider on here. My buddy just rode out in Wrentham/Franklin on Sunday and raved about it. He said it was pretty challenging and there were some real deep water holes, but it was a good change of scenery from our typical riding spot which we've been riding for 15 years almost exclusively (and it's not that good).

I've been to that pit behind the outlets once and it was pretty sick. Some good trails for sure. I'd like to go back, but I've been hearing alot lately about the DEC (or whatever they are?) writing people tickets. I've heard you still can get a ticket if you're registered?!

Anyway, I'm considering getting registered and possibly getting an approved spark arrestor at some point. Where do you register and what info is required? Any help would be appreciated.

any other opinions on the subject?