Sign in to follow this  

1999 xr 650

I have an opportunity to purchase a none running XR 650. The bike turns over wont start. He said it was not getting a spark. It will need new tires,seat,cdi or stator,grips and graphics and maybe some other odds and ends. My question is what is a fair price for it? It has not been registered since 09 and does not have any of the smog crap since it was Nevada bike. Thanks for your help.:smirk:

$500 is all i would pay and thats if everything else looks ok

What are some of the specifics I should look for on this bike? Yes I was thinking $300 and no more than $500. Thanks

What are some of the specifics I should look for on this bike? Yes I was thinking $300 and no more than $500. Thanks

If you can check the oil for debris, the filter is a good place to start. chunky and or silver/gold material isn't a positive sign. look at the frame by the footpegs. if they are totally barren of paint it probably has had a little ride time. also look at things like the forks/mono. they might be leaking or have dry rotted seals and start leaking shortly. check the triple clamps to see if they are bent/damaged. If you can put the bike on a stand give the tires a spin to check the rims. you can also check the swingarm/mono bushings by pulling on the rear tire. Check the compression if you have the tools or he does.

If you can check the oil for debris, the filter is a good place to start. chunky and or silver/gold material isn't a positive sign. look at the frame by the footpegs. if they are totally barren of paint it probably has had a little ride time. also look at things like the forks/mono. they might be leaking or have dry rotted seals and start leaking shortly. check the triple clamps to see if they are bent/damaged. If you can put the bike on a stand give the tires a spin to check the rims. you can also check the swingarm/mono bushings by pulling on the rear tire. Check the compression if you have the tools or he does.

Thanks Kamikazi... A funny thing on my stroker 2 BMX bike I had Kamikazi painted on it. :smirk: