Mud, ruts, clutching

Sorry for more questions but with the second hare scramble i did yesterday it was a complete muddy mess. And i did horrible. After the first lap i could barely close my hand from using the clutch so much. So my question is, when i ride in the muddy ruts and such i stay in 1st and second gear and clutch ALOT, every turn and through all the ruts and my hand get tired really fast... What do you guys do? It sure would be nice to have a rekluse but they are what? Around 600$? And i ride a lot of mx and i don't think they are any good for that? Should i just be getting in 1st gear and not use the clutch? I just feel like it will stall but i need to do something about how i am using the clutch.

There are models of the Rekluse that work great for mx as well...

So with that version of the rekluse would i be losing power when feathering the clutch through turns?

maybe just a matter of riding more there is alot of time when I start a race my arms tighten up and won't let loose till about an hour into the race when I start to get tired then I remember to breath and the cramping in my arms go away

So with that version of the rekluse would i be losing power when feathering the clutch through turns?

Ive never used one on my bike before but I have two racing buddies that swear by them... and they race strictly mx. Ive rode their bikes a few times but never rode the bike without it so I couldnt tell ya honestly. Ill ask what exactly they are running and see if there were any power changes.

Ive never used one on my bike before but I have two racing buddies that swear by them... and they race strictly mx. Ive rode their bikes a few times but never rode the bike without it so I couldnt tell ya honestly. Ill ask what exactly they are running and see if there were any power changes.

Ok cool thanks :smirk:

the faster you go thru the ruts,the less amount of time you will use clutching.

Ok cool thanks :smirk:

Take a look at the new Rekluse EXP, it's $399. The Core EXP is better, but it's $899

A trick we use in mud like that is to use a taller gear. If you think first is the right speed, use second or even third. Use smooth throttle and when the going gets impossible with a steady throttle, use short but strong bursts of full throttle followed a split second later with a closed throttle.... off and on. Spin the tire and then shut the throttle before you lose complete momentum... the tire will clean itself and then bite when you chop the throttle.. A little extra flywheel weight helps this action too.

Test it out in some mud before you need the trick in a race... works on snow too!

However, the guys behind you might not want to be your friend after, but hey! it's a race! :smirk:

Thanks good tip on the chopping the throttle, i do try to run higher gears in the muddy ruts but thats why i have to clutch a lot so i don't stall, lol

it'll be easier next time, it just takes riding in it to work those muscles

once I got a rekluse I was done with that, now every bike has one

The Rekluse is nice for sure. The Z-start basically renders the clutch useless which is ok for me on my bike. If I got another one (which I will for my next bike) I will look at the EXP 2.0 most likely. For me it's just a matter of allowing me to take my mind off the clutch and concentrate on other things like line choice and staying upright.