Sign in to follow this  

2011 TE310 Questions

Hi All:

Looking to replace my aging XR250R (tagged) dual sport ride this year. The bike that was at the top of my list was a Yamaha WR250R. (Not very interested in heavier 400's. I like smaller bikes.)

A bit about my experience level and skill level:

* I have ridden off road since 1969.

* WHEN I compete, I am in the Intermediate class. I have won my class before, and can place often enough.

* For dual sporting/trail riding, I typically ride the Arkansas Ozarks and the Ouachita mountains of Arkansas and Oklahoma. (i.e. no high speed open prairie/desert type riding.)

* I no longer do REALLY technical stuff... mainly fun trails, forest roads, etc, but I DO want my next ride to be capable of handling nasty stuff when needed.

Having said that, over the past few days I have now learned of the 2011 TE310. Wow.

I see some positives in comparison to the WRR:

* Much lighter. (About 60 pounds.)

* More torque.

* Better suspension.

* Serious woods bike.

BUT, there are also some unknowns:

* Unknown engine durability. (Ain't been out long.)

* Unknown maintenance levels.

* Unknown on the mile range per tankful.

* Unknown parts availability and dealer network.

Can some of you Huskyphiles help me out here? It would be appreciated.

I suspect I need to stay with the dependable, less exotic WRR that includes a great dealer network and parts supply... but that 310 is very tempting.

2011 TE310 is a TE250 with a bore kit. So in the end your running a bigger bore on a 250cc bottom end (not good).

And, Husqvarna parts are hard to find and cost extra.

2011 TE310 is a TE250 with a bore kit. So in the end your running a bigger bore on a 250cc bottom end (not good).

Not necessarily. They were planning on the 310 when they designed the engine. I'm sure the bottom end was spec'd with the 310 in mind. If not, bottom ends would be dying left and right.

Dealers are not a dime a dozen, that's for sure. But I have no problem locating parts and they're no more expensive for the most part than any other brand. At least the ones I've purchased. You learn pretty quick where to order parts from if you're not very close to a dealer.

After market support is pretty limited, but I haven't really found it to be a problem.

Wrong. 2011 310 is a 250 x-lite that is bored and stroked to get 302cc. Not the typical Athena kit upgrade as in 2010 and older. Exciting bike to see and read about. Can't wait to ride one some day soon.

Edit: There is a gentleman from Hawaii posting regularly here who just went from a 250 yamaha to the the 2011 310. Can't remember his username but a quick search would probably bring his threads up. Has good video footage and usable information regarding the 2 bikes.

EditEdit: Yamafreek_Hawaii is the username I was trying to think of...Hope this Helps

I ride both a DRZ400 and a CRF250R (which I race GP and Desert), just did a demo ride on the 2011 TE310 and it will probably replace both my bikes very soon. Bike has way more power than the DRZ and more mid range than the 250r, the 250r has a little more bottom, gearing will probably fix that. I'm Sold!

I ride a 2008 TE250 w/PU with a person on a 2009 WR250r. The WR is a great bike but you will need to add an exhaust, a EFI tuner. Even after all this my TE250 has much more power and better suspension. My TE250 gets 80 miles on the road and 50-60 running singletrack per tank. WR250r get 100 miles road and 70 single track. WR has a better seat for longer road rides, better 50-65mph road friendly and longer valve maintenance. Both bikes are capible of going anywhere the rider's talent can. Add in the 310 and you have much more bike everywhere with the exception of milage!

I am the proud new owner of a '11 te310 and have nothing but good things to say about it. I haven't had it for too long but I will try to answer some of your unknowns.

Engine durability - no issues with mine nor have I heard of any other issues on any message boards. EFI is flawless even with mine powered up. Keep in mind that the 310 engine is more of a race engine than the milder yammie so rebuild intervals may be more frequent on the Husky.

Maintenance levels - Valve clearance checks will be more frequent than the yammie but the 310 engine makes them relatively easy. My only complaint about maintenance is that the oil drain plug is a little bit of a pain to get to.

Fuel range - I can get 90+ miles of street riding and about 65-70 miles of trail riding.

Parts and dealer network - Obviously parts and aftermarket support won't be near as good as yamaha. There are good websites for parts like halls-cycles.com and motosportz.com. BMW now owns husky so I can't imagine parts availability being a huge problem, especially on the newer models. Dealer locations are a bit sparse but I'm lucky because i have a good husky dealer about 15 mins from my house. I noticed you live in OK and according to the husky website the closest dealer is probably Lubbock or Lebanon, MO.

Hope this helps.

I want to thank all of you for your candid input. I really appreciate it.

Sort of sounds to me like the difference would be similar to comparing a Ferrari to a Pontiac Grand Prix. Both get the job done they were designed to do. One does it with panache and flair at the expense of user-friendliness... the other being more of a bread n' butter approach: Not as fast... but can eventually get there.

As tempted as I could be to purchase the latest trick Husky... I probably NEED the WRR.

Thanks for all your help!

I replaced a 99 XR250 with a 2010 TE310 and LOVE IT.

You can get smokin deals on the 2010's right now and it's a proven motor. Shares (same) the bottom end with the bigger huskies.

My maintenance level on the honda was similar to what I spend on the Husky but that's just me. I change my oil and clean/change the filters after 3-5 35-50 mile rides anyway. Put the $ you save towards a 3 gal tank and a JD Jetting fuel programmer, some armor and you're set.

It absolutely smokes the honda on the quad width trails. The suspension is WAY better and the motor rips with FI tuner. It won't pull wheelies like the honda but it's more fun to ride and you can ride like a raped ape much easier.

"It absolutely smokes the honda on the quad width trails" "It won't pull wheelies like the honda"

Based on these two remarks, TE310 must be a gutless pig! I find this hard to belive because my TE250 handles any trail better than an XR, quad width or smaller. Wheeling is not my thing however when needed I can wheely over trail trash easily. If the XR has wooped out suspension, wheeling would be easy to do. I bet your FI settings are off to give you the lack luster performance.

"It won't pull wheelies like the honda"

This statement makes absolutely no sense to me. An air cooled 4t honda xr250 makes less than 20 hp and weighs more than the te310. The te310 makes somewhere around twice that power with less weight. I have ridden xr250's and I used to own a DRZ250 which had almost identical power to the xr and it was much more of a task to get the front wheel off the ground. Now I know you have a 2010 te310 and mine is a very wheelie friendly 2011 but I don't think the differences between our 2 bikes is that different.

Maybe you're thinking about a cr250? If so then your statement would make sense.

The XR has a 280 kit and new (since I last rode it) stainless valves. It was also geared much differntly. Both front and rear suspension were gone through. The forks got race tech valves.

On the TE I am running 13 & 51 tooth sprockets. The jetting was dialed on JD Jetting's dyno and is spot on. There is a significant difference in power, the TE has much more and will pull the front up on the trail, especially at mid rpm range but the XR seemed much more torquier to me.

I've learned to ride the TE much differently than I did the XR. The TE wants to be ridden aggressively like the two strokes I learned to ride on.

I haven't ridden the XR for 18 months (since I got the TE). I am much faster on the TE.