Sign in to follow this  

Airbox modification?

I've looked around and I can't find a detailed tutorial on how to do the airbox mod for specifically the Crf250x.

Does anybody know where I could find one? (With images, preferably).

If not, would anyone be kind enough to make one?

I greatly appreciate your time.

Kind Regards,

Incisus.

Take the airbox off or cover up the opening inside the airbox before you cut so you don't get plastic shavings into your carburetor!

I did mine last weekend and loosened the airbox boot to the carburetor and swing the subframe up and then cut it (coverered up the intake the carb just in case!)

And you can limit plastic shavings by heating up the blade of a utility knife. Cuts like butter without the mess.

And you can limit plastic shavings by heating up the blade of a utility knife. Cuts like butter without the mess.

Thats a good idea, I never would have thought of that. I used a dremel tool :smirk: (power tools, me man hehe)

+1 to codemans advice,thats the way i did mine,very neat no mess or shavings in the airbox after...fire and razorblades me man too rawr!!!

Air box

The picture of the airbox below shows the cast-in 'raised cut line' as described in the "Closed Course Competition Modifications" bulletin (click to supersize). I have drawn in a red line along part of the cut line to show where the line goes; it's much clearer when you see it yourself. I cut out some of the air box top (3 1/2 x 3 1/2) but not as much as described in the CCC bulletin (4 x 7); see my cuts in the picture on the right. I also removed the wire screen in the filter cage, but dyno testing since I did this has shown that removal of the screen does nothing for performance.

AirboxRedLines.jpg

Main site above was stolen from

http://www.rickramsey.net/CRF250X.htm

im thinking about puttin an r cam an head on my 06 250x. is it worth the investment?

100% Yes! Definitely worth it.

If you ride deep water crossings or in a lot of junk I'd mod the box more like what jakleblues posted not the full ccc mod cut. You can always cut the rest off later if you wish, but doubt you gain anything.

wouldn't bother changing the head unless your valve seats are shot, just do the cam and r headpipe. You'll lose some low end (on paper) but the low end runs smoother. if you think it lost any low end pull just go up a tooth on back.

if you feel uncomfortable doing it...I have a modded box I can sell ya. No I didn't mess anything up, I went to an 08R box instead.