Well sunnuvah BI@@H!! Can I use this cylinder, or does it need repair?

After a complete rebuild of my RM 250 (2002), I recently had a needle clip from the carb go thru the top end. I just had it repaired last year!!! DAMN!

Anyhow, the needle clip was new too, part of a Moose Racing rebuild kit. Kind of a fluke deal, really.

Nothing got past the rings, but it did a little salsa dancing with the cylinder head and piston top. I have a new piston, and will replace/ repair the head, butwould like to know nwhat you guys think of these pix:

cylinder2.jpg

cylinder-1.jpg

You can see where the little sucker got slid up the cylinder wall, but you cannot physically feel the damage with your fingers. Run it on the bike? Or run it to Milennium????????

It has already been repaired once. Is that an issue?? Thanx to all.:smirk:

I would make sure the edge would not snag a ring if I wanted to run it. Other than that I say it will run, may wear the rings a little more in that area. Its not building compression untill the piston passes the exhaust anyway.

The only other option is to re-plate it.

have you deglazed it already? It looks like the worst marks just barely go to the depth of the crosshatch

I can see what looks like a hinky on the very edge of the port where the marks go up and down. As long as the Piston or rings would clear that I would run it.

cylinder2.jpg

I would make sure the edge would not snag a ring if I wanted to run it. Other than that I say it will run, may wear the rings a little more in that area. Its not building compression untill the piston passes the exhaust anyway.

The only other option is to re-plate it.

I actually ran it a whole weekend after the clip broke. I put a new clip it and test rode it up and down the street and decided to run it again since I had plans to do a top end after that ride. I wasn't sure how bad it was gunna be in there, but the rings don't snag, nor was there ANY damage to them at all.

have you deglazed it already? It looks like the worst marks just barely go to the depth of the crosshatch

Not familliar with the term 'deglaze'. Does that mean hone it out? Nothing has been done yet, just pulled the jug last night.

Clean the port edge and run it. I wish that is all the damage my cylinder took when I stuck mine two weeks ago.

Nobody thinks i should have it looked at or measured? I would hate to put it back together and have it run poorly.

I would have it looked at and measured to insure proper performance.

You can have it re-plated the price has come down on it.

I think I would throw the 'Moose' kit in the trash can.

Yeah I put the stock parts back in the carb. I just noticed two grooves in the rear of the piston. They are in line with the holes that let oil through. They are deep to the touch and I'm not sure how they were formed either. The cylinder does not show any signs wear in the same areas so I had hoped to get opinions on that from you guys as well. I will upload a pic of that soon.

Maybe the clip wedged the piston into the cylinder wall momentarily?