Sign in to follow this  

Bike woud not start today! Somebody help me out please!!!!!

So I took my 08 KTM 250 xcf-w riding. Unloaded it and put on my gear, and the thing wouldn't crank. It would turn over fine (electric start) and I could smell gas. I tried it later on tonight with the same results. I am wandering if I got water somewhere I shouldn't when I was washing it at the car wash last week. I forgot to crank it afterward. Any advice of where to start looking first?

Did you wash the bike with it running?

I always keep min running while washing to assure no water gets into the exhaust and keeps the bike from starting.

Did you haul your bike with the petcock in the on or reserve posision?

Do you have a manual compression release?

Check out all the electrical contacts and components. If you washed it and then didn't run it there might be some corrosion somewhere keeping it from firing.

Take off your air filter and see if it starts. You have no idea how Many times I've seen people change parts spark plugs and jetting just to see there air filter is filthy. Usually clean it then starts right up

next time, make sure it works before you load up if you can.

if you wash the bike while its running could you get electrocuted from the spark and all the water?

A modern dirt bike should be pretty water tight unless you drop it in a river or something.:smirk:

I wouldn't spray up under the tank or at the air intake.

I have been doing this for over 15 years.

ever since doing what the OP did and having to pull start my bike to get it running again.

if you wash the bike while its running could you get electrocuted from the spark and all the water?

Is this a serious question?

Is this a serious question?

Bahahaha

Washing it while running? Can't believe that is a really good idea. Washing it, with a plug in the exaust, then replacing the air filter, wiping out the intake to be sure water is not in there which sometimes it will be, then crank it up and ride around a bit to get all the water dried out of the bearings, chain and anything else it may have gotten into is the way to do it.