water and mud

I was wondering if anyone could tell me how well a stock 250x pulls through mud and water? as well as how well it keeps water out of the air box?

I currently have a 230f and it doesn't like water at all, always bogs and dies. thinking about a switch to a 250x

I do alot of mud/water/single track where torque is most important so i was also wondering what year 250x has the best torque stock? i think i read the 2009's changed the head and has less. so are the 2008's and down all the same?

You could always change your gearing to put more torque down to the ground.

ya, but i need a solution to the water. and im going to need more power adventauly. the 250 is the way to go IMO as long as it can do water fine. any idea?

havent had my X in water yet...well not any water that counts,a couple shallow little creek crossings...i never had any problems with my 230f in water...in fact ive had that bike in water up above the cases and never a sputter,this is one of the reasons i didnt want to mod the airbox on my X,but i did it anyway and the added power and throttle response was well worth it...i ll have my bike in some river crossings this weekend so i guess we'll see if it sinks or swims lolol

I went through sandy water like a lake almost to get the trail. I have 13:51 gearing and the water was up to my exhaust. It didn't sputter or anything. It was about 10 feet long of a crossing. I never opened up the air box to see how much water went in but it was deep. I heard my exhaust bubbling I was soaked and it was fun. Change your gearing for torque and you won't have a problem.

Hmm...our old 230 was like a tractor. Nothing would stop it. I don't know why yours couldn't chug through some water? Kinda wish I still had it. Bombproof bike.

My 250X didn't fare so well in a water crossing 2 years ago. Of course, I ran into a submerged boulder and she when over and under running. :smirk: Tip #1...don't do that! :smirk: A 250 doesn't like it!

Another tip...(well...actually the first real tip) don't use no toil filter oil if going to maybe get the filter wet. When mine went under, the stuff gummed up the filter and it would not run. I had to clean the filter on a tent camping trip. Not fun!

I left the sides on our 250X snorkels so that it would hopefully help keep water from splashing in from the side. They're now sorta like fins that stick up. Its open to the front though.

A 250 is taller than a 230 so it might help a little there. Another 250 tip. I routed a couple of the long carb vent tubes up around the frame under the gas tank so that it can breathe if in water. The ones I routed up there come off the top/front of the carb.

Dave

I have the top of the airbox moddified a little. I put on a new exhaust and re-jet the carb so i had to drill some hills in the removeable piece to let more air in. That's why i figured it was dieing. Cuz if i dont keep it reved afterwards it will die. I need to keep it running off idle for a few minutes for it to run right again so i figured it was water getting into the box. could be the carb?

Hmm...our old 230 was like a tractor. Nothing would stop it. I don't know why yours couldn't chug through some water? Kinda wish I still had it. Bombproof bike.

My 250X didn't fare so well in a water crossing 2 years ago. Of course, I ran into a submerged boulder and she when over and under running. :prof: Tip #1...don't do that! :smirk: A 250 doesn't like it!

Another tip...(well...actually the first real tip) don't use no toil filter oil if going to maybe get the filter wet. When mine went under, the stuff gummed up the filter and it would not run. I had to clean the filter on a tent camping trip. Not fun!

im going camping this weekend and im hoping the river will be running a bit,we didnt have much snow in the mountains in southern AZ this winter so im not sure if it will be,im bringing an extra oiled filter just in case:ride::smirk::lol:

You have to be prepared to get out your wallet when you put a bike through conditions that it wasn't designed to go through. Water and mud are instant death for the inside of a motor, and I wouldn't take an expensive newer machine through it. If you are rolling in $$, have at it!

CRF250X, w/ccc mods produces plenty of power for a 250.

For deep water you should also reroute the carb vent hose (see link)

http://www.rickramsey.net/CRF250Xmymods.htm#carbvent

If the carb, air box and air box door are well sealed, you should be able to ride water up to the top of the air box. However, I'd say doing that is taking a big risk, since sucking in just a little water can cause serious damage to the engine.